Send us a suggestion!

News Zion NP Boundary in Kolob area - update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ratagonia, Jun 4, 2018.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

In researching the very fine book The Kolob Tragedy, which everyone should buy and read, well, at least buy, I encountered an interesting rumor that, during the KT lawsuit, the Park had claimed officially that the rappel section of Kolob Creek was not in the Park. If true, this would mean that getting a permit to run Kolob would not be required, as there would be no technical canyoneering inside the Park.

So I went to the Federal Courthouse in Salt Lake City, to look at the file... which was actually archived in Denver, so I paid the $180.00 to have it brought to Salt Lake and came back up two weeks later to look at it. The people at the courthouse went out of their way to accommodate me. Thank you.

What I found was actually the opposite. Maps have shown the Park Boundary following Kolob Creek in this Section (Section 30) and this was incorrect. In the rappel section, both sides of the creek are inside Zion National Park, and the boundary follows the Lot Lines... well, it is complicated - see the map.

The text is very clear. In designating the Park Addition in 1960, Congress specified exactly where the boundary is. The accompanying map shows the true Park boundary in blue. Two more images show two pages from the Solicitor's opinion of August 8, 1995, which make it clear.

So no. You CAN do Kolob Creek by staying in the watercourse and never using anything on the right wall (difficult, but not impossible), but you would still be technical canyoneering inside the Park.

Tom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Tom-Fantastic research. I bought the book and actually read it. I hope they are going to make it into a major movie.:twothumbs:
    darhawk, Rapterman and Ram like this.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

One Hundred Eight Hours?
    Rapterman, Tom Collins and Ram like this.
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I don't know. Usually the book turns out to be better. It seems that most of the time (Touching the Void is an exception), when a story (even "true" ones) is made into a movie a bunch of fiction is needlessly inserted into the story. It usually distorts what happened.
    Rapterman likes this.
  5. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Instead of scouts, I think the audience would appreciate college age co-eds or perhaps work place team bonding trip gone wrong. Think Gilligan's Island meets 127 hours. Velociraptors are good too but the market is a bit saturated. Are there alligators in those canyons?:rofl:
    Tom Collins likes this.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

We could move it to Costa Rica. They have deadly snakes that come out at night in the jungle, but you are OK if you stay in the canyon bottom. Perfect...
    spinesnaper likes this.
  7. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Edit: Double post
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  8. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

I really hope not, for several reasons, not the least of which is my personal interest.

They (the unwashed masses) would come in droves to do Kolob creek. Helloooooooo SAR...
    As is, It's nice to be able to go in there and not encounter hoards of Gumbies...
    ScottM and Deagol like this.
  9. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

That's why the story line needs to be changed to the Sierra, and, involve a lost plane full of money.

Wait....that was Angels of Light...uhh...I mean Cliffhanger...ha ha...

Look how many folks search for the Homestead Crater in the Utah Desert (127 Hours)...
    Bootboy likes this.
  10. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Yes, and it seems that the real story was interesting enough, without having to add such fiction.

Same with the North Face movie about the ill fated 1936 Eiger Nordwand attempt.
  11. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

You mean this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Face_(film)

Incredible movie. Besides Kurz not dying with crampons on (that historic photo of him at the end of his rope with icicles coming off his crampons)...what did you find inaccurate? Edit to add...yeah, the love interest angle was a touch annoying especially at the end. But, fantastic film!

Just watched Simpon's Beckoning Silence. Interesting to see the footage of Joe on the route with his historical perspective.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    wsbpress likes this.
  12. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Yes; the romance and reporter. In the movie, it was the reporter/girlfriend who went up to Toni Kurz to comfort him and to tell him to die. The whole romance and reporter thing never happened, yet it was one of the key plots in the movie.

Also, I didn't like the antagonism between the climbers. There was no evidence at all of this, in fact the other three likely sacrificed their lives to try and save Angerer's life or at least to get him to safety.

The whole thing with faking the wedding to get leave never happened either.

Overall, it was a good movie, but the real story was exciting enough, so they should have stuck with that. Same with the Blue Pool scene in 127 hours.
  13. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

Tom,

Great research. I've never seen these BLM maps for Utah, but in Colorado, those "lots" are called "Government Lots" and were set up to sort-of correspond the 1/4-1/4 sections of land, but due to surveying errors, the acreages were not exactly 40 acres as a 1/4-1/4 was supposed to be, thus they were called Government Lots... It looks like that map shows an even further breakdown beyond 1/4-1/4's.... the difficult terrain would explain why it was difficult to survey as a normal section.