Send us a suggestion!

Zion National Park Raises Use Limits in Spry Canyon

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Shaun, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Shaun

Shaun Guest

http://tinyurl.com/9ppqgb

Date: January 7, 2009 Contact: Ray O'Neil, 435-772-7823 Contact: David Eaker, 435-772-7811

Zion National Park Superintendent Jock Whitworth announced today that the number of visitors permitted to travel through the Spry Canyon canyoneering route will be increased by over 50% per day for the 2009 season. On January 1, the use limit for Spry Canyon increased from 12 people per day to 20 people per day.

Zion National Park's 2007 Backcountry Management Plan developed standards to measure the health of its natural resources. In conjunction with this, a social survey was conducted to quantify the number of encounters people considered desirable and acceptable while experiencing the park's backcountry. These two standards were combined with existing management zones to create overall use limits and group size limits.

In the past, the limiting factor for the number of visitors allowed in Spry Canyon was a severely eroded exit trail visible from the park road. For the last several years, canyoneers have been asked to avoid the eroded trail and follow a more durable trail down a rocky watercourse. Compliance has been outstanding. As a result, the erosion problem has been reduced to acceptable levels allowing for the increase in use limits. The trail will continue to be closely monitored to ensure that compliance remains high with the increase in use limits

While canyoneering in Zion can be a challenging and rewarding activity, it is not one that should be entered into lightly. At least one member of each party should be experienced in canyoneering and the use of any required technical equipment. Hikers should also be aware of weather conditions and the possibility of flash floods. By entering into a narrow canyon, visitors take safety as their own responsibility. All persons canyoneering in the park should stop by the visitor center and talk to qualified park staff before their hike. Some canyon hikes in the park (including Spry Canyon) require advance permits. For more information on canyoneering in Zion, contact the park at 435-772-3256 or visit the park website at www.nps.gov/zion.
  2. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

Thank you to all that descend the watercourse, rather than the sandslide.

Those wishing to send a note of thanks can address it to:

Ray O'Neil Plateau District Ranger Zion National Park Springdale UT 84767

Please do.

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Shaun" <trackrunner83@...> wrote:
    http://tinyurl.com/9ppqgb
    > Date: January 7, 2009 > Contact: Ray O'Neil, 435-772-7823 > Contact: David Eaker, 435-772-7811
    Zion National Park Superintendent Jock Whitworth announced today that > the number of visitors permitted to travel through the Spry Canyon > canyoneering route will be increased by over 50% per day for the 2009
  3. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Shaun" <trackrunner83@...> wrote: > http://tinyurl.com/9ppqgb
    Date: January 7, 2009 > Contact: Ray O'Neil, 435-772-7823 > Contact: David Eaker, 435-772-7811

> Zion National Park Superintendent Jock Whitworth announced today that > the number of visitors permitted to travel through the Spry Canyon > canyoneering route will be increased by over 50% per day for the 2009 > season. On January 1, the use limit for Spry Canyon increased from > 12 people per day to 20 people per day.

Shaun, thank you for posting this....Welcome news

> Zion National Park's 2007 Backcountry Management Plan developed > standards to measure the health of its natural resources. In > conjunction with this, a social survey was conducted to quantify the > number of encounters people considered desirable and acceptable while > experiencing the park's backcountry.

Can we get access to the data? When? What was asked? Who?

These two standards were > combined with existing management zones to create overall use limits > and group size limits.

More people, smaller groups. Giveith and takeith away

> In the past, the limiting factor for the number of visitors allowed > in Spry Canyon was a severely eroded exit trail visible from the park > road. For the last several years, canyoneers have been asked to > avoid the eroded trail and follow a more durable trail down a rocky > watercourse. Compliance has been outstanding. As a result, the > erosion problem has been reduced to acceptable levels allowing for > the increase in use limits. The trail will continue to be closely > monitored to ensure that compliance remains high with the increase in > use limits

OK.....maybe it just my ingrained mistrust of authority. The Sixties, Watergate, whatever, but.....Weren't we....the canyoneers on this forum that first to bring up the erosion on the sand hill? Implemented the watercourse program ourselves and then enlisted the park to let others, not on the group, know about it? So when I read the tone of the thing above, I feel like an elementary school pupil, who just got two gold stars on my art work....but am warned, at the same time, that I will miss snack if I misbehave in the playground at recess. I suppose its no big thing and I should grow up, but it riles me this "now be a good boy" tone. Just me?

Now whispering....shhhhhhhh.....Spry has only been done in any numbers the last few years and it is already a showcase for the challenges of not getting rope grooves in its soft sandstone. A challenge that hasn't been met. Ideas have been tossed about.... but solutions? If this isn't resource damage, what is? We should do something about this before someone does it to us and rightfully so.....All I really want is a few more of those gold stars, teacher!! Ram