Send us a suggestion!

Zion Narrows flood

Discussion in 'Accidents and Near Misses' started by Ram, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Ram

Ram

Another close call...

Full on monsoon it seems.
    This was published today.
    RUNAWAY!!!!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  2. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

Talk about over sensationalizing....... 150cfs isn't 900cfs
  3. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

You can't even boat it at 150cfs... 350 is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Phavant

Phavant

This has been played way too much on the news. I feel like it does harm in setting unrealistic expectations of what a real flash flood is like.
    wisconnyjohnny and Rapterman like this.
  5. AW~

AW~

There was an article that mentioned canyoneers in Orderville stopped their route. Good for them.

So there is a bunch of people in the Narrows and no one knew about flash flood risk....and something about NOAA should get the blame?
    What else is new? I never did get a response about the 7 and how the NPS claimed everyone knew and the families claimed only one knew.
  6. AW~

AW~

Are you referring to the young kids? Id think any CFS with sticks and mud would be scary to them. Id be wondering myself if I would survive it and Im 6 ft.
    Im pretty sure Id be like the canyoneers at Orderville who stopped.
  7. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

I'm referring to the facts that flow was low, they didn't exactly seek high ground, kept moving up canyon, and ignored the mornings warnings of possible flash flooding. The media is putting a spin on this that I personally think leads people to believe that they can outrun a flash flood in the narrows if they just band together with their fellow man.

These same guys published some videos on instagram before it was picked up my main stream media. He was deleting comments of those who asked why they crossed the river when there was high ground on the side they were already on.
    Phavant, wisconnyjohnny and ratagonia like this.
  8. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

haha i got on this guy on instagram and he deleted not only my comments but also blocked me!!!!
    terrible reporting by news. I agree outrunning is dumb when there's high ground all over.!!!!!
    outrunning turns ya into canyon fodder
    darhawk, Bill and 2065toyota like this.