Send us a suggestion!

News Zion - Kolob Fingers Canyon update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ratagonia, Feb 7, 2019.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/a...u5xsUirUhx_QomqsKnRWwf6LvqGUlFvw#.XF0Sk1VKiUk

ST. GEORGE — After having been closed since road re-construction began in May 2018, the facilities in the Kolob Canyons district of Zion National Park will reopen on Friday.

The project involved reconstructing sections of the road, repaving the entire road and adding accessible parking, sidewalk and two new bathroom facilities. The intensive slope, drainage and grading portions of the project are complete, and the road is now safe for visitor use.

In the spring when the weather improves, contractors will return to complete final paving and finish remaining project details, but the road will remain open during that work. Visitors are advised to expect some traffic delays during final paving in the spring.

The Kolob Canyons Visitor Center, the parking lot off Interstate 15 and all of the Kolob Canyons Road will be open Friday. The Taylor Creek Trail, the Timber Creek Overlook Trail, Lee Pass trailhead and other areas served via the Kolob Canyons Road will also be available to the public.

Weather-related closures may still occur, so visitors are asked to check road and trail conditions and plan accordingly. For the latest news refer to the park website, Twitter feed, or Facebook posts.
  2. scottensign

scottensign

Does anyone know if it is possible to renew a Zion express membership at the Kolob canyon visitor center? Mine just expired and I don't want to have to drive all the way to Springdale to renew it. I kind of doubt you can, but thought I would check. thanks.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

I suggest calling the Wilderness Desk. You may be able to renew over the phone.

T
    scottensign likes this.
  4. JTMiller

JTMiller

I renewed mine at the Kolob visitor center. I think it was about 3 1/2 years ago though. Don't know if things may have changed since then.
    scottensign likes this.
  5. scottensign

scottensign

Did as you suggested. turns out if you renew before it expires you can do it over the phone. But if you wait until it expires you have to go to the visitor center again. So I should have done it before it expired. And you have to do it in Springdale.
  6. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Also depends on which ranger you talk to, I've been told that before, but when I tried to actually do it they wouldn't let me.
  7. Kyle J Wilson

Kyle J Wilson

I have never been to Zion but you all seem very knowledgable so here's the deal, I want to put together a four-person backpacking trip. We want to do the Trans-Zion Trek. Obviously, you'll have to just guess, but when do you think the snow will melt enough to make that kind of trip possible?
  8. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

They do not have a way to play the video at Kolob Canyons so you must go to the main canyon.
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

The most important thing to understand about the weather in the desert is that it is highly variable. That said, as a general rule, April tends to be too snowy (if we have a winter), but May tends to be doable. Since most of the Trans-Zion is up high, end-of-May through middle of June would be a good time to shoot for it.

Tom