Send us a suggestion!

Zion conditions/Englestead

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Ananda, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Ananda

Ananda Guest

Anybody been in Zion today? What's the weather like in the canyons? Wondering about a group that did Englestead today.

Any info'd be great.

Ananda
  2. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Ananda" <truenature9@...> wrote:
    Anybody been in Zion today? What's the weather like in the > canyons? Wondering about a group that did Englestead today.
    Any info'd be great.
    Ananda > I'm here in Mt Carmel 15 miles east of the Park. Threatening clouds here all day, a few drops of rain showed up in the evening. Good reason to believe that it rained late in the day in Zion.

Engelstead is a long canyon and certainly takes a while. A NORMAL exit time would be 5 pm / 6 pm. Given today's weather, it is possible Engelstead, Orderville or The Narrows got rained on and flashed today, but... unless they were really late, they would have been in Orderville before any bad weather showed up. Plenty of good places to sit it out in Orderville and The Narrows - they certainly could be inconvenienced by a flood and might have to spend a rather uncomfortable night. I hope not.

Please let us know when they call and are out.

Tom
  3. Ananda

Ananda Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Tom Jones" <ratagonia@...> wrote: >Thanks, Tom.

It's a group of about 7 guys, 2 that are newbies, but the rest are well experienced in climbing and canyoneering. I know it can take a while (got to do it my first time just a while back), but they'd told me they'd gotten some weather yesterday, so wanted to check. They're all from AZ and most have to be back tonight, so was expected to be an early start. Was promised a call before they headed back. Have yet to receive word. I know they can get some reception in Springdale; the way home is pretty scarce, though. Won't send up any alerts till later in the evening. My boyfriend has work tonight, so if not back by then may be getting more concerned.

Thanks again, and I'll let you know when I hear anything.

> I'm here in Mt Carmel 15 miles east of the Park. Threatening clouds > here all day, a few drops of rain showed up in the evening. Good > reason to believe that it rained late in the day in Zion.
    Engelstead is a long canyon and certainly takes a while. A NORMAL > exit time would be 5 pm / 6 pm. Given today's weather, it is > possible Engelstead, Orderville or The Narrows got rained on and > flashed today, but... unless they were really late, they would have > been in Orderville before any bad weather showed up. Plenty of good > places to sit it out in Orderville and The Narrows - they certainly > could be inconvenienced by a flood and might have to spend a rather > uncomfortable night. I hope not.
    Tom >
  4. Ananda

Ananda Guest

Thanks again, Tom. Just heard from them. Nobody hurt. Newbies slightly beaten on their first canyon, sat out Engelstead. No contact due to fire which took out power in Springdale. Am relieved here. :) Ananda

> I'm here in Mt Carmel 15 miles east of the Park. Threatening clouds > here all day, a few drops of rain showed up in the evening. Good > reason to believe that it rained late in the day in Zion.
    Engelstead is a long canyon and certainly takes a while. A NORMAL > exit time would be 5 pm / 6 pm. Given today's weather, it is > possible Engelstead, Orderville or The Narrows got rained on and > flashed today, but... unless they were really late, they would have > been in Orderville before any bad weather showed up. Plenty of good > places to sit it out in Orderville and The Narrows - they certainly > could be inconvenienced by a flood and might have to spend a rather > uncomfortable night. I hope not.
    Tom >
  5. Chris Reeves

Chris Reeves Guest

I realize I am a day late on this post but obviously it rained last night and their was some awesome lighting across the sky but I live in Toquerville and as I was driving away from my house I noticed a bunch of smoke coming out from the canyon back towards Springdale. Does anybody know if there is a fire, or was I just seeing fog?

Anybody been in Zion today? What's the weather like in the canyons? > Wondering about a group that did Englestead today.
    Any info'd be great.
    Ananda >
  6. Shawn R

Shawn R Guest

There are two fires burning, one seems to be close (20 miles or less just a guess) to Zion Pondarosa Ranch. We left a car up there for Englestead and the source of the smoke seemed to be pretty close nearby. There was second fire burning near Zion aw well. The power went out in Spingdale for a long time playing havoc with attempted cell calls even after the power came back on. Friends talking to the rangers were told Keyhole flashed on the 15th hopefully cleaning it out. Pine Creek may have flashed as well. We saw several large pools of standing water in the Pine Creek drainage after leaving the tunnel heading to the east exit. They were not there on the morning of the 15th when we drove in. Shawn. PS: We got out of Englestead ok. A late start plus some problems with a stuck rope (we finally were able to get it pulled) on one of the rappels caused our delay. When we did arrive in Springdale my cell phone system was not allowing me to dial out.

Chris Reeves creeves@rosenbergassociates.net> wrote: I realize I am a day late on this post but obviously it rained last night and their was some awesome lighting across the sky but I live in Toquerville and as I was driving away from my house I noticed a bunch of smoke coming out from the canyon back towards Springdale. Does anybody know if there is a fire, or was I just seeing fog?

Anybody been in Zion today? What's the weather like in the canyons? > Wondering about a group that did Englestead today.
    Any info'd be great.
    Ananda >

Got a little couch potato? Check out fun summer activities for kids.
  7. Jim Bodoh

Jim Bodoh Guest

At 10:37 PM 7/16/2007, you wrote: >Given today's weather, it is >possible Engelstead, Orderville or The Narrows got rained on and >flashed today, but... unless they were really late, they would have >been in Orderville before any bad weather showed up.

We did Engelstead on Sunday and were in lower Orderville when it began to rain. We kept an eye on the water level and possible spots to retreat to, but kept moving. The water level might have gone up an inch or two. We got to the Narrows at 7:05pm. The weird part was that we never saw another person till we were half way down the sidewalk to the bus stop. When we got to the steps the place was littered with shoes, water bottles, cloths, suntan lotion. It looked like everyone had just fled.

Monday AM we headed up the wash for Spry. About half way up there is a spot where a rock collapse has blocked the creek. Above it was a large pool of muddy water of unknown depth. There were some clouds moving in, nobody wanted to test the depth of the muddy water, nor did we want to be in the middle of Spry if it started to rain, so we turned around. It turned out to be a nice day, though it did start raining about 9pm while we were having dinner.

On our way back from Spry, we stopped before the tunnel, walked down and checked the depth of the water in the pool just before the 1st rap in Pine Creek. We expecting to find it full. Wrong: if it was any deeper, it was only an inch or two.

Jim
  8. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

It rained briefly in Zion on the 16th and 17th. Looks like Pine Creek and keyhole flashed, and a few others may have too. But it did not rain very long.

Access to Chamberlains Ranch was closed this morning due to a fire. Not sure of the current status.

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Shawn R <flagstaffclimber@...> wrote:
    There are two fires burning, one seems to be close (20 miles or less just a guess) to Zion Pondarosa Ranch. We left a car up there for Englestead and the source of the smoke seemed to be pretty close nearby. There was second fire burning near Zion aw well. The power went out in Spingdale for a long time playing havoc with attempted cell calls even after the power came back on. Friends talking to the rangers were told Keyhole flashed on the 15th hopefully cleaning it out. Pine Creek may have flashed as well. We saw several large pools of standing water in the Pine Creek drainage after leaving the tunnel heading to the east exit. They were not there on the morning of the 15th when we drove in. > Shawn. > PS: We got out of Englestead ok. A late start plus some problems with a stuck rope (we finally were able to get it pulled) on one of the rappels caused our delay. When we did arrive in Springdale my cell phone system was not allowing me to dial out.
    Chris Reeves <creeves@...> wrote: > I realize I am a day late on this post but obviously it rained last > night and their was some awesome lighting across the sky but I live in > Toquerville and as I was driving away from my house I noticed a bunch > of smoke coming out from the canyon back towards Springdale. Does > anybody know if there is a fire, or was I just seeing fog?
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Ananda" <truenature9@> wrote:

Anybody been in Zion today? What's the weather like in the > canyons?
    Wondering about a group that did Englestead today.

Any info'd be great.

Ananda

> > Got a little couch potato? > Check out fun summer activities for kids.
    >