Send us a suggestion!

Zion Canyons - August conditions/weather

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Carlos O, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Carlos O

Carlos O

Hello guys

My girlfriend and I are thinking about going to Zion in late August (22-31) to do some hiking and easy canyoneering. I was wondering if you could share your thoughts about canyon conditions around that time.
    Is it a good time, too hot, which canyons should I be concerned of doing due to extreme heat, flash floods, etc.

Also is the Subway a good canyon for that time of year? and what services can I book since we will only have one car and we need a ride to the trail head (After leaving it at the end)

I would really appreciate your suggestions so i can plan accordingly.

Best
  2. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Be concerned about all of the canyons in monsoon season.

There's a fair bit of traffic...finish at a reasonable hour and thumb a ride back up to your car.

Or hire a local shuttle. ZAC is 28pp. Zion Rock does shuttles as well.

Or, combo up with another group for the shuttle.
    Carlos O likes this.
  3. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

A better option for thumbing a ride is to get there early park at the exit and thumb to the start since you're a small group. That way if you finish late you aren't stuck without a car. Or if you're worried about getting a ride for 2 drive to the start drop your GF and gear and then back to the exit and you only have to worry about getting a ride for 1.

And just to hammer in the obvious watch the weather, ANY chance of rain in the forecast and its probably a good idea to bail for the day. You can try and get a really early start and hurry through shorter canyons since usually the monsoon rains come in the afternoon, but its a big risk since there's no guarantee you'll finish early and of course the rains could decide to come in early as well.

Do some research before your trip on backup hikes for if you bail on your canyon, there's something incredibly awesome about hiking to the exit of a slot canyon and waiting for a flash flood to come roaring out, just make sure you get there early to find some nice safe high ground.

The end of lower Echo is a good one to watch, or Heaps/Behunin at the emerald pools would be great to watch as well.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Carlos O likes this.
  4. Carlos O

Carlos O

Thank you so much guys!
  5. Moab Mark

Moab Mark

Orderville out the Narrows. Pay to get shuttle to the start.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Carlos O likes this.