Send us a suggestion!

Zion area: boundary???

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by CRNPRES, May 29, 2019.

  1. CRNPRES

    CRNPRES

    Messages:
    257
    Likes:
    120
    anyone made it into boundary yet? Debating on what to do monday/Tuesday and we still have it as an option. One of my favorite canyons when it’s going around 5 cfs (never done it not flowing)

    Back up plan would be pipe spring if boundary flow is too big. Leaning away from it since it will likely be flowing into July, west rim road is currently closed (could change) and unknown snow in canyon or Mia.

    Gunlock/Issac is a possibility and know it’s been done this year and it’s on my list of haven’t done. Most of my haven’t dones have closure issues (trail closure or narrows)
  2. ratagonia

    ratagonia

    Messages:
    4,858
    Likes:
    5,971
    Location:
    Mount Carmel, Utah
    That would be Gunsight / Isaac. (We don't need no stinkin' GUNLOCKS here in Utah!!!!) Certainly a decent possibility, though you might have some issues getting a permit so bring a map to the permit desk. Phantom Valley Narrows out Isaac also a possibility. Both are long days.

    I saw a picture of the road down to the West Rim TH from a West Rim hike this past weekend. about 2" of snow on that road, at some random point. Big woods, north-facing, likely patches of snow. Yeah, hard to commit to that one without scouting, but I think we are pretty clear that Kolob could be running really high right now, as in, dangerous to get from Boundary to MIA. Pipe Spring Cyn is quite a bit lower, not much drainage above it. I suspect it is flowing but not with much. Could be a BLAST! Wetsuits and raincoats for sure.

    Tom
  3. CRNPRES

    CRNPRES

    Messages:
    257
    Likes:
    120

    Yes gunsight (autocorrect to lock in my phone since I have typed it before related to the reservoir). Permit wouldn’t be issue for either route. But we decided to hold off until we have someone who’s done it.

    I am aware of the west rim road conditions and have looked at Kolob several times in the last week at the road. Think we are going to hold off a couple weeks to not waste a day hiking down to boundary to scout it.

    We came up with another big day that has more options for bailing by combining two canyons.
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    ratagonia likes this.
  4. CRNPRES

    CRNPRES

    Messages:
    257
    Likes:
    120
    Ended up doing Fiddle me this then Observation Point Canyon Monday.

    Snagged the tail of a rope on the second to last rap of observation point canyon and had to cut it then the 300 ft rope on the last fell into a tree once pulled but it was recovered after some ascending.

    Overall it was a decent day and even with some issues at the end we hit the trail right before 9 AM and were cleaned up and on the shuttle around 7 PM (should have been 6 PM).

    we hit Birch Hollow yesterday and it was an easy day with about 1 cfs flowing through. Tom - I am assuming Ali found her way up to MT Carmel last night.
    Ali Miller, Blake J and ratagonia like this.
Similar Threads: Zion area
Forum Title Date
General Discussion Zion NP Boundary in Kolob area - update Jun 4, 2018
General Discussion Current conditions Zion Area Dec 26, 2017
General Discussion Top-10 must do (Canyons in and around Zion area)? Dec 19, 2017
Meet Up zion area canyons Aug. 23-27? Aug 22, 2017
Meet Up Zion Area Partners April 21-24 Apr 11, 2017
General Discussion ACCESS: ZION AREA Mar 29, 2017