Send us a suggestion!

WTB canyoneering packs

Discussion in 'Buy and Sell' started by Jeff Dwyer, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Jeff Dwyer

Jeff Dwyer

My wife and I are looking for 2 canyoneering packs but trying to avoid breaking the bank. We're headed to Zion in April for a week and are planning 3-4 canyon trips, but may not be doing much for a while after that (no real canyoneering to speak of around us). Anyone got used packs for sale or recommendations for a cheaper option that might hold up reasonably well? Thanks!
    Rapterman likes this.
  2. Sutitan

Sutitan

Not sure if this is entirely helpful, but if you're looking for cheap, used large day packs (top loading) with some added grommets for drainage could work. Id make sure they'd make sense for canyoneering (can it hold my gear in a way that makes sense, is it full of materials that will just soak and hold excessive water, can it fit through the canyons without turning into swiss cheese).
  3. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Depends on what type of future canyoneering you plan on doing besides Zion. If you're careful with your gear Zion won't destroy stuff nearly as fast as other places on the CP, so if that's going to be the only place you go then pretty much any pack will do, just make sure it either drains well or be prepared to add some grommets to help improve drainage.

As an option though for something cheaper I've heard some good things about this one, but it won't be very durable.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Backpack-Beginner-Canyoneers-Backpacking/dp/B006JYHJ9G
  4. Kenmoto

Kenmoto

Find some close out or used osprey packs, the offer free lifetime repair/replace.
  5. Rapterman

Rapterman

Hi Jeff
    'cheap' and 'holding up reasonably well' allows for a wide range of interpretation...
    If you are already hikers or climbers then I would put some drain holes in your existing (quality?) packs...
    OR you could buy quality canyon packs canyoneeringusa.com and they will also work GREAT for hiking and climbing.
    That is what I have done: bought a Kolob canyoneering pack. While canyon specific it still carries better and is lighter than my other alpine packs.
    So I use the Kolob for everything now...climbing approaches to back country skiing.
    :)

PS if you are gunning for advanced canyons (with water) get real canyon packs.
    :):)
  6. Dave Melton

Dave Melton

You could also rent canyoneering packs from one of the outfitters in Springdale.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

What canyons are you planning on doing?

Because, basically, the oldest packs in the back of your garage might be your best choice, and just suffer through the holding water thing. But really, renting packs in Springdale might be your other good choice.

Tom