Send us a suggestion!

UT: North Wash Woody May 5

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Amy K, May 8, 2018.

1. Amy K

Amy K

Since @Chasetharp wanted to keep up the momentum with more pothole work, he chose Woody Canyon to be next on our list. It was a beautiful weekend in Northwash. The gnats were in full annoy-mode. Chase, Bruce, Charleen, Sarah, and Randi and I were all ready for an adventure packed day! We took the BluuGnome approach instead of following the exit up to the top. We had a shuttle car and began mostly at the top and worked our way down into the canyon. The cows were everywhere all weekend! So many adorable little ones, but anyways.. We again were hoping for some challenges and not a "waterpark" as I hear some people call these canyons. As much as I love a good waterslide, I wanted to continue my learning and be challenged. And challenged I was!

We began the canyon doing some practice work. Building pyramids and using the 2-1 haul again. Partner captures, meat anchoring, all that good stuff. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The came some more downclimbing and partner captures. This was basically throughout the entire canyon.
    [​IMG]

Finally some water on a hot day! Used a handline to lower then partner capture the last person.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Bshapiro in a pothole [​IMG]

Working our way up and over several back to back potholes
    [​IMG]

No bolts in this canyon! And for good reason. The only real rappel can be sandtrapped! Which is how we chose to get down.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The big back to back keepers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Again several different methods used. Stem over, etrier, haul..
    [​IMG]

Canyon goodness
    [​IMG]

The last pothole is a swimmer! However, still not deep enough to swim OVER. Charleen and I went in and after some figuring out I was able to sorta stem the side walls on the other side while she stepped on my leg and was able to beach whale over the top. Then I was able to get a hand and push my body to one side, foot on the other and make it over the top. It took great effort, but we did it! Hopefully there is a pic of that somewhere..

This is entering into the swimmer pothole..
    [​IMG]

After some corkscrew features at the end we reached the exit!
    [​IMG]

Curious as to what other canyons people might recommend for great pothole challenges, or whatever the next step up might be. We have done Quandary, Squeeze, and now Woody so far (as mainly pothole canyons, not total).
  2. Chasetharp

Chasetharp

Woody has been on the list since March! Happy to have finally done it, but now I am curious about the pothole fork.. fun to escape that big keeper knowing it is possible to stem over, great practice.
    Anthony Dye likes this.
  3. Anthony Dye

Anthony Dye

Looks like a great canyon! Good job, Woody has also been on my list since March when we changed canyons @Chasetharp. Next up? Knotted rope?
    Chasetharp likes this.
  4. Chasetharp

Chasetharp

I’d be up for knotted rope if you wanna do it. I heard someone say that it was supposed to be tough, but maybe that’s just because the water was so low at the time.
    Anthony Dye likes this.
  5. MB_HD

MB_HD

Looks like good work and lots of fun!