Send us a suggestion!

UT: North Wash Witches Cauldron 9/29/18

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by george_washington_hayduke, Oct 1, 2018.

1. george_washington_hayduke

george_washington_hayduke

After arriving at 1am and getting minimal sleep because of the whipping wind, Carlos and I were ready to tackle the notorious Witches Cauldron. We each brought a shorty wetsuit not knowing the current conditions, and hoping it wasn't too full of water. The first tight narrows were really tight, tighter than middle leprechaun and shenanigans for sure. I am 6'2 165lbs and had to crawl sideways on the floor a handful of times to fit through. I am glad that Carlos was there because he is 5'8 140lbs and had little problem fitting. I volunteered to down climb into the cauldron to check it out and of course there was a rattle snake stuck in the bottom to spice things up. After climbing out of the cauldron and deeper into the slot, there was a very short swimmer, and then the super narrow high stemmy slot that spits you out of the technical section. What a canyon! I will definitely be back to do this one again.

Climbing over the doughnut pothole, such a cool feature!
    IMG_0938.JPG

IMG_0935.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

Looking into the Cauldron
    IMG_0962.JPG

Down climb after the witches cauldron
    fullsizeoutput_246.

Looking back at the last rappel/downclimb
    IMG_0972.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG

Heading back to the car
    IMG_0982.JPG