Send us a suggestion!

Winter is coming... or is it here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ratagonia, Oct 15, 2018.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

Zion, Oct 13 + 14, 2018

Did the mighty Keyhole and the awesome Subway. Stock full of water, mighty cold.

I'm thinking about winter now. Did Subway with two beginner family-friends from Montreal. Considered what happens if one of us got hurt, or if we came across someone else hurt. It *IS* the Subway. Didn't happen but I was not exactly prepared if it did. No lighter in my kit these days - just happens to not be in there. No extra clothing. Etc. It is time to start thinking of winter, of preparedness, of contingencies...

so I bumped a couple threads about winter. Yes, I sure hope it warms up again and we have a fine "Native-American Summer". But the nights are still cold and long.

Tom
    darhawk, Rapterman and Jman like this.
  2. Backcountry

Backcountry

What would you bring for cold weather protection besides (1) a lighter, (2) an emergency bivy sack, (3) a headlamp & (4) A fleece jacket, dry socks and a beanie in a dry bag? (And of course I always bring duct tape for splints, repairs, blisters, for building a shelter etc)
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

What does your group need for two people to survive the night?

(and, your question is probably answered on those bumped threads, so try that first).
  4. townsend

townsend

Hiked up to (the lower) Blue Lake, in the Mt. Sneffels wilderness (San Juan Mountain range). Started at 9000' at the trailhead and ended up at lake -- 11,000'. At least a foot of snow all around the lake, and encountered lots of snow on the way up -- gradually increasing with elevation. Winter is here.

My footwear didn't get the message till it was too late. Trail runners aren't good in snow. Trust me on that one.
    Kuenn and ratagonia like this.
  5. townsend

townsend

In case you didn't get the message:
  6. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Yeah, it is just the Subway :D
    Dave Melton likes this.
  7. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Winter is coming, but it isn't here yet. There are going to be plenty of nice fall days before winter really sets in.

A fire starter. Having a fire starter will make starting a fire, especially after it is already dark or if fuel might be damp many times easier. They weigh almost nothing as well.

If you take an emergency bivy, I'd highly recommend a breathable one. I have had only one unplanned bivy, but I learned the hard way that my emergency biby sack was not breathable. A breathable one is a little more bulky and cost more, but it is worth it.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

Is that a person? Perhaps a witch? A bottle of gasoline? A Stephen King novel?
  9. townsend

townsend

[​IMG]
  10. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

11. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I use these:

[​IMG]