Send us a suggestion!

Winter Epic Blarney?

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by mountainfish, Jan 2, 2017.

1. mountainfish

mountainfish

For Christmas my wonderful wife decided to go behind my back with my best friend and arrange a guys trip. Nearing the end of January we are going to head down to southern Utah for a long weekend. I am hoping to convince him to hit at least one canyon while we are out.

He isn't too keen on getting wet in a canyon this time of year. I would be okay either way. I am thinking to try to convince him on Epic Blarney in North Wash. Neither of us have ever done Epic Blarney. Wondering if anyone has any experience with that one this time of year that they would like to throw my way.

I am open to other suggestions or other sound advice. Neither of us has ever done a canyon in winter time. So plentiful sound advice would be appreciated.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/winter-canyoneering-stuff.21719/

The most important piece of advice for winter canyoneering is: Only do canyons you have done before, so you CAN know what to expect.

However, the "Epic Blarney" route is fairly straightforward so would be a good choice. People did it last week. The climb up can be kinda difficult and dangerous, so bring someone who can climb. Might want to belay the others up.

Tom
  3. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny Lagargar pockets

Kinda old but West fork was dry on JANUARY 30th.
    I had info from a guy who had done it a few days before.