Send us a suggestion!

Why we Canyon? (what type of canyons are your favs?)

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Eric Godfrey, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Eric Godfrey

Eric Godfrey Guest

I don't have a long detailed answer like ya'all, I just like canyons because they are so fun. The beauty drew me in, but the fun keeps me hooked. I was bored at work last night and posted over on Bogley asking what types of canyons people like best, seems everyone likes them all but thought I'd see what you all think. Here is my post from the dark side:

So while we have been talking about what our favorite canyon is, some people are not able to pick one specific one as a favorite, so maybe we can talk about what your favorite type of canyon is. When I started canyoneering it was all about Zion. Zion was my favorite place in the world and one big draw for me was that by learning how to get down slots, I could see so much more of the park than I would be able to otherwise. Zion canyons surpassed my expectations and stand out as some of the most amazing places I've been in the park, but Canyoneering ended up being a lot more fun than I expected and my reasons for doing canyons has changed somewhat since. Don't get me wrong, I still love Zion but the character of the canyons are generally pretty similar. Rap and swim, hike a little, and rap and swim. Heaps and Imlay are much more challenging, but are still mainly rap and swim with some difficult pothole problems when not full of water. Canyons outside Zion, especially around Glen Canyon, tend to have more variety. They have shorter drops, many of which can be downclimbed rather than rappelled. They tend to be skinnier and pose their own unique challenges. As my skills improve I find the more varied, and more physical canyons more enjoyable than the straightforward rap and swim type stuff. Canyons like Hard Day Harvey, Choprock, Alcatraz, Trail, Chambers, Zero G, what Tom on his rave calls Frosted Flakes, and Limbo, are all more my style. Anything I can get down without the rope is much more enjoyable to me than rapping (nothing too crazy though). What are ya'll's favorite types of canyons?

2. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Eric Godfrey" <ericgodfrey@...> wrote: > I don't have a long detailed answer like ya'all, I just like canyons because> they are so fun. The beauty drew me in, but the fun keeps me hooked. I was> bored at work last night and posted over on Bogley asking what types of> canyons people like best, seems everyone likes them all but thought I'd see> what you all think.

A canyon that takes most of the day and barring that an area with a few next to each other. A canyon that involves every muscle in your body including your head muscles. A canyon that has problems that can be solved by sequencing and partner assist. A canyon with refracted light, going golden or orange. A canyon of Wingate Sandstone. A canyon with some swims so I have the excuse to wear the wetsuit and protect this old skin. A canyon I have never done before. Better yet is one that I don't know anyone who has done it. A canyon with no footprints in it. A canyon recycled after a storm. A canyon with my friends in it. A canyon that exhausts me so I can sleep that night. A canyon...almost anyone will do R