Send us a suggestion!

Who is rappelling off burlap bags?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Canyonero, May 31, 2021.

1. Canyonero

Canyonero

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the tech tips section or the accident/near miss section, but now in two separate canyons I have run across someone using burlap bags as a sand anchor. While I appreciate you not bolting the canyon, I can't help but think you should buy and learn to use a sand trap.

If you come across one of these, by all means don't use it. Those things are biodegradable and are gradually rotting. I pulled on one of them and have of it came out. That's right, the bag ripped in half. Not to mention it can't possibly take much force to pull the cord off the end of the bag.

Seems unnecessarily dangerous to me given other options. I mean, if you're just going to leave something, then bury a deadman. If you want to ghost, get a sandtrap.

Another reason to dig up all anchors and never trust webbing coming up out of the sand.

I'm curious if anyone knows who is doing this? I know they're buying gear from Atwood because they've left an Atwood VT Prusik on one of these.

IMG_9615 2.JPG
    Yellow Dart likes this.
  2. Canyonero

Canyonero

IMG_9610 2.JPG In position as found in Canyon # 1.
  3. Canyonero

Canyonero

IMG_9608 2.JPG Thankfully, these seem to mostly be used on relatively short drops.
  4. Canyonero

Canyonero

IMG_1289.JPG From the second canyon, this one was rigged as a sling to assist with a climb, but whether up or down was unclear.
  5. Canyonero

Canyonero

IMG_1297.JPG Rappel anchor in place.
  6. Canyonero

Canyonero

IMG_1298.JPG What it looked like after applying < 50 lbs of force to the anchor.
  7. Ram

Ram

I know these were used, as an experiment, well over a decade ago. We also found them in a section of canyon that was exposed due to low water. Few if anyone has seen these in the decade in between....perhaps (?) The Atwood VT may have been left much more recently, by another decender? Not sure. I do know that the folks (who will remain nameless) abandoned the idea as the bad idea that it was. Their use predates sandtraps and let me assure you that this fellow is now a ghosting aficionado.
    Yellow Dart likes this.