Send us a suggestion!

White Oak Canyon-Shenandoah National Park

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Ross Platt, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Ross Platt

Ross Platt

Recently I took a trip to Shenandoah National Park and thought I would share a trip report of White Oak Canyon as I felt that this was a unique experience that we don't see much out west. I particularly enjoyed this trip as it was my first time ghosting a canyon. There is a hiking trail along the rim of the canyon that most people take but I read that some people decide to descend the canyon in the water course. In order to cut out several miles I opted to take a fire road that is south of the conventional trailhead along Skyline Drive. After following the fire road for about two miles it intersects with the trail and also provides an opportunity to enter the water course. Several minutes in the water leads to the first drop. I fiddlesticked off of a rock here, which required me to stay very low in order to prevent the rope from slipping off the rock. It is possible to exit the canyon here and re-enter after the drop if desired. After making the descent I discovered that the canyon would be comprised of mostly boulder hopping. In addition to the boulders, one thing that made this canyon exciting (maybe not the best word) was how slippery it was. There were several instances where I found myself on my butt. In fact, rappels two and three are possibly downclimbable but because I was worried about falling on the slippery rocks, I opted to rappel them. I used a fiddlestick to anchor off of a log and a tree respectively. It was so slippery that there were a few times in the canyon where I just sat down and rode out a natural waterslide. The longest of these slides was about 40 feet. Eventually I came to my fourth and final drop. This was the longest rappel, about 50-60 feet, down a nice cascade. I was able to fiddlestick this one off a tree as well. From the bottom I was able to meet up with the standard hiking trail and follow that back to the fire road. As I mentioned before, this was a unique adventure and one that I would recommend if you find yourself in Shenandoah.
  2. Ross Platt

Ross Platt

I am trying to post some photos but for some reason they will not upload. I will keep trying.
  3. Ross Platt

Ross Platt

I just had to be more patient

Attached Files:

• IMG_1200.JPG
      Filename:
      IMG_1200.JPG
      File size:
      3.4 MB
      Views:
    • IMG_1201.JPG
      Filename:
      IMG_1201.JPG
      File size:
      3.2 MB
      Views:
    • IMG_1202.JPG
      Filename:
      IMG_1202.JPG
      File size:
      2.7 MB
      Views:
    • IMG_1203.JPG
      Filename:
      IMG_1203.JPG
      File size:
      2.3 MB
      Views:
    • IMG_1211.JPG
      Filename:
      IMG_1211.JPG
      File size:
      2.3 MB
      Views:
    • IMG_1213.JPG
      Filename:
      IMG_1213.JPG
      File size:
      2.9 MB
      Views:
    • IMG_1214.JPG
      Filename:
      IMG_1214.JPG
      File size:
      2.6 MB
      Views:
    • IMG_1215.JPG
      Filename:
      IMG_1215.JPG
      File size:
      4.6 MB
      Views:
  4. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

Very cool. I love the variety that canyons bring.
  5. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

You get around, Ross!