Send us a suggestion!

Which one is easier to reverse?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike Zampino, May 17, 2017.

1. Mike Zampino

Mike Zampino Canyon season never ends.

Thought I would take a poll to help me make a decision for our group: For those that are familiar with the canyons, for a Knotted Rope/Quandary combo, which one is easier to reverse?
  2. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

It depends if you want to do the direct route in Quandary. That part would be hard to reverse.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

That might SEEM like the right question, but...

The better question is, Doing KR/Q, going which direction is more fun?

I was skeptical, but Ramoo insisted that the up Q (sidetrip down through the direct section), back up Q, over to KR, down KR was better. I have only done it in that direction, and I think Ramoo has it right.

T
  4. qedcook

qedcook

If you're talking strictly EASIEST to reverse, I'd vote Quandary (non-direct) is easiest. But that ignores many factors, like current conditions, doing Quandary direct after ascending the non-direct portion, have you done the canyons before and know the navigation to reverse the canyon, etc.
    Matt Snow likes this.
  5. Mike Zampino

No - no one in the group has done either canyon. That is a concern - since all the beta is for descend and not reversing. Although, the good thing is if you get stuck or confused you turn around and finish the canyon going down.
  6. Mike Zampino

I too am skeptical of some of his suggestions...hence the poll. o_O

How much time should be allotted for such a loop?
  7. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Unless you are dead set on that loop, Quandary-Ramp also makes a great loop, though the Ramp is a challenge.
  8. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

I haven't done KR with an eye for reversing it so I haven't really thought about its challenges that way and can't say how it would be, but I have done Rams loop before and must say that it makes for a great day. We did it in March and thus had shorter days and still managed to finish (barely) with daylight left.
    John Diener likes this.
  9. Jman

Jman

Having done both, but only one in reverse, I would suggest going down Quandary Direct, more fun than the bypass route) and reversing Knotted Rope. Quandary can be done but would be much more challenging than KR.

One of my friends, happened to film our Quandary (by-pass route) followed by Knotted Rope in reverse route.

Feel free to watch the video here:

It's dated (5 years old??) but it shows some of our moves up-climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Matt Snow

Matt Snow

Either way would be a long day, even for a quick group. I've only done it down KR, up Q with a quick run down QD. I remember thinking up KR would have been tough depending on water levels. Even up Q isn't a gimme, there are a few up climbs in the 5.7-8? range, at least two of which are exposed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
  11. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Even up Q isn't a gimme, there are a few up climbs in the 5.7-8? range, at least two of which are exposed.

All but one have bypasses, but then you miss some of the fun.
    Matt Snow likes this.