Send us a suggestion!

What''s in a name

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by adkramoo, Oct 18, 2007.

1. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

I was privileged to spend several days with Steve Allen on my last trip. A wonderful and constantly upbeat fellow. For the past decade he has been involved in a massive research project. He is compiling a reference style encyclopedia of all the place names in Southern Utah. A massive project, sure to be many volumes long, it has led Steve to countless hours in many a library across the country and he has also interviewed hundreds of ranchers and locals to all the communities in that part of the state. He has done so with passion and a sense of urgency, as many of the folks he has interviewed are elderly. Several who have been interviewed have passed on already. He is working to get the info before it is lost forever. He estimates that he still has about 5 years left on this project.

It is likely that after the reference book is completed that a smaller book will be published, this full of the colorful stories in connection with naming of places in the state. I have been lucky enough to sit at his knee while he waxed poetically, a series of remarkable and entertaining stories, involving some wild characters. I will look to get permission to share some of these tales here.

So comprehensive is this project that Steve has expressed interest in the names being used by the canyoneering community. Being that these named features of ours are usually short tributaries of larger systems, many may not make the final cut, but those covering larger areas and/or having particularly interesting stories associated with the name, are likely to be included in the reference. I shared what I know of the story of the naming of Sandthrax Canyon, much to folks amusement. Perhaps Hank would share it here and help me make sure I passed along the right information.

Soooooooo, please send me the history of the names we use for the various canyons. When named, by who and stories connected with the naming. It can be done directly to me at adkramoo at aol dot com or better yet, share them with the group. Cheers Ram
  2. > some others i've had stored in my bookmarks ...

shenanigans - tom jones http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyoneer/message/352

monkey business - tom jones (?) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/message/14052

foolin' around - tom jones (?) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/message/14071

hard day harvey/good day jim - steve allen

mindbender - steve allen (canyoneering 2)

not mindbender - tom jones http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/message/13566

alcatraz - scott patterson

icebox http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyoneer/message/630

burro wash - i read in a book that burro wash in Capitol Reef was named when a bunch of burros walked up the canyon got stuck and died. the park had to deal with removing these burros, and somehow it got that name.
  3. tom (jones),

i'd like to hear more about how you uncovered information on the "leprechaun" name.

stefan
  4. hank moon

hank moon Guest

On 10/18/07, Stefanos Folias sf@bu.edu> wrote:
    i love the origin of sandthrax ... hank, hit us up one time ...

"Sandthrax"

The only visual record of our descent was contained within Shane's disposable camera. As usual, he took it to a local grocery store for processing. Yep, this was waaay back in October of 2001 when digital cameras weighed a pound and the fallout from 911 was still burning bright in the nation's consciousness. So much so that when the photo lab lady opened Shane's DC and a fine powder poured out, she let out a yelp and dropped the thing. Anthrax scare was still in full swing, y'see…

Eventually, an employee who knew Shane spoke up and opined that the fine powder was probably good ol' Utar sand and not anthrax. Whew! Tense times at the photolab. When Shane told me the story, the name just popped into view alongside the mind-image of the frightened lab tech discovering the deadly camera. Kinda like a cartoon. After shreiking "Sandthrax!" a few times, we all agreed it was the perfect name for that tricky little slot.

Note: The camera was disposable because Shane's favorite 35mm Nikon had been recently trashed during a game of "camera toss" in one of the Leprechaun slots (middle, I think).
  5. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Stefanos Folias <sf@...> wrote:
    tom (jones),
    i'd like to hear more about how you uncovered information on the > "leprechaun" name.
    stefan > Both Shane and I found some beta on Leprechaun (named as such) on an old Netscape User website. He had done the hike up to Belfast Boulevard, and provided very vague directions on where it was. I stopped there once to check it out, but it was July, and when I opened the car door and the 120 degree air came inside, I decided it was not a good exploration for the day. Kudos to Shane and Hank for finding and exploring the system.

The numerous inscriptions would lead one to believe that many other people have their "own" names for the canyon.

Tom
  6. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Tom Jones" <ratagonia@...> wrote:

> Both Shane and I found some beta on Leprechaun (named as such) on an > old Netscape User website. <snip
    The numerous inscriptions would lead one to believe that many other > people have their "own" names for the canyon.

I believe the canyon is called Archway by my recent partners.
  7. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

> Both Shane and I found some beta on Leprechaun (named as such) on an > old Netscape User website.

If this can still be found, it would be valuable R
  8. >>

more silly names ...

"ho hum fork" of robbers roost - tom jones (?)

shane published a few canyons in the poison spring system under the names arscenic, slideanide, monoxide and constrychnine.

while i can't speak to the others, one canyon he initially published under the name "hemlock." keeping with the poison-hybrid naming scheme, i suggested to replace the name with "constrictnine" (constrict + strychnine). shane augmented it to the better name "constrychnine."

i forget where "eye of the needle" came from. is that one of kip marshall's? definitely one of the more compelling names out there.

who named "yankee doodle?"

the name "fat man's misery" always makes me chuckle

stefan
  9. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Tom Jones" <ratagonia@> wrote:
    > Both Shane and I found some beta on Leprechaun (named as such) on an
    old Netscape User website.
    If this can still be found, it would be valuable > R > Someone who is interested could try the Wayback Machine.

Tom
  10. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Stefanos Folias <sf@...> wrote:
    the name "fat man's misery" always makes me chuckle

I vaguely remember the name coming from what used to be a squeeze thru that eroded away? Is that true? I always imagined it being at that awful and awkward rap with all the loose rocks sorta cemented in.
  11. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@> wrote:

> Both Shane and I found some beta on Leprechaun (named as such) on > an
    > old Netscape User website.

If this can still be found, it would be valuable
    R
    > Someone who is interested could try the Wayback Machine.
    Tom

Or just ask Sherman and Peabody? I perfer Mr. Wizard. Trizzle trazzle trozzle trome, time for this one to come home!
  12. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

You think I'm kidding?

http://www.archive.org/index.php

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@...> wrote:

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@> wrote:

> Both Shane and I found some beta on Leprechaun (named as such) > on
    an

old Netscape User website.

If this can still be found, it would be valuable
    > R

> Someone who is interested could try the Wayback Machine.

Tom
    Or just ask Sherman and Peabody? > I perfer Mr. Wizard. > Trizzle trazzle trozzle trome, time for this one to come home! >
  13. no, haha, but it helps to have the url!

any chance you or shane still got it laying around somewheres?

stefan

the wayback machine is great, though, for blasts from the past!

On Oct 18, 2007, at 11:43 PM, Tom Jones wrote:

> You think I'm kidding?
    http://www.archive.org/index.php
    > Tom
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@...> wrote: >
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Tom Jones" <ratagonia@> wrote: >>> Someone who is interested could try the Wayback Machine. >>
    >> Tom >
    > Or just ask Sherman and Peabody? >> I perfer Mr. Wizard. >> Trizzle trazzle trozzle trome, time for this one to come home! >>
  14. oops, sorry ... before tom the sharp corrects me ... lying around

On Oct 18, 2007, at 11:50 PM, Stefanos Folias wrote:

> no, haha, but it helps to have the url!
    any chance you or shane still got it laying around somewheres?
    > stefan
    On Oct 18, 2007, at 11:43 PM, Tom Jones wrote:
    > You think I'm kidding? >
    > http://www.archive.org/index.php
    >
  15. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

16. you know, in bringing this up, i realized the link i posted was for canyoneer. for a canyons group link to the story of ram's, that i originally posted, see:

http://tinyurl.com/36ess2

thanks for posting the link to your story, tom. presenting both together here has a nice balance to it.

stefan

On Oct 22, 2007, at 6:50 PM, Tom Jones wrote:

> --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Stefanos Folias <sf@...> wrote: >
    >> some others i've had stored in my bookmarks ... >
    > shenanigans - tom jones >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyoneer/message/352
    > This story also available here:
    http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/north/tomshen.htm
    > Tom

> When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make > reading and searching easier. You can use the following > abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = > Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions > and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please > use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for > us, such as:
    Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?
    To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on > yahoo: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/
    > This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the > &amp;amp;quot;Edit My > Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. > Press &amp;amp;quot;Save > Changes&amp;amp;quot;.
    DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email > to you each day summarizing that day's messages.
    WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you > must visit the web site to view messages. > Groups Links
    >