Send us a suggestion!

What was your most favorite canyon completed in 2009

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Kerry, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Kerry

Kerry Guest

(Slow day at work this morning on a chilly foggy morning in Salt Lake).

Mine was Behunin which I descended for the first time. Long approach hike, exhilarating final rap.
  2. Randi

Randi Guest

Why do you say "completed" canyons? Half of the canyon doesn't count? ;) I did half a canyon in the summer that was pretty wild and very cool, but I got injured part way through & didn't finish it, so I guess I won't include that one!   The Black Hole on New Years day was amazing! Full of beautiful sculpted ice and colorful visuals. Cheesebox on the 2nd was stunning as well.   I did more backpacking & hiking than I did canyons this year, but of the canyons  I did, one of my favorites was in Marble Canyon with the AZ guys. It entailed hiking down from the rim, descending an incredibly colorful & beautiful technical canyon, inflating a personal raft just big enough for you & your pack, paddling it down the Colorado for a fair distance, and hiking back out!   A FANTASTIC trip with some great guys! I busted my camera on that trip & didn't get that many photos, but of the ones  I did get, I still haven't gotten them on-line! :( I'm worse at photo sorting than I am packing - always putting it off...

BTW ~ Behunin was my first Zion canyon (& my 2nd canyon altogether) and I just loved that one too!

--- On Mon, 12/21/09, Kerry taatmk@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Kerry taatmk@yahoo.com> Subject: [from Canyons Group] What was your most favorite canyon completed in 2009 To: Yahoo Canyons Group Date: Monday, December 21, 2009, 7:40 AM

Mine was Behunin which I descended for the first time. Long approach hike, exhilarating final rap.
  3. RAM

RAM Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Randi <advntr_inxs@...> wrote: > The Black Hole on New Years day was amazing! Full of beautiful sculpted ice and colorful visuals. Cheesebox on the 2nd was stunning as well.

Ditto!! Its a tough act to follow when 2 of the best days of the year are the year's first two days. ;-) Kerry, great idea. I heard some folks saying we are pretty dull, dull, dull over here on Canyons. Prove um wrong!

> I did more backpacking & hiking than I did canyons this year, but of the canyons  I did, one of my favorites was in Marble Canyon with the AZ guys. It entailed hiking down from the rim, descending an incredibly colorful & beautiful technical canyon, inflating a personal raft just big enough for you & your pack, paddling it down the Colorado for a fair distance, and hiking back out!  > A FANTASTIC trip with some great guys! > I busted my camera on that trip & didn't get that many photos, but of the ones  I did get, I still haven't gotten them on-line! :(

Riding to Randi's photo rescue. This picture and the next 19 after it are the canyon she refers to. And Randi, I ain't from Arizona!! ;-) http://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/GrandCanyonFebruary2009#5309194241916414754
  4. Randi

Randi Guest

Thanks for the walk down memory lane via these photos! And Ram, you're from "everywhere" ~ :0)

--- On Mon, 12/21/09, RAM adkramoo@aol.com> wrote:

And Randi, I ain't from Arizona!! ;-)

http://picasaweb. google.com/ aramv14/GrandCan yonFebruary2009# 5309194241916414 754
  5. chraud

chraud Guest

An easy one for me! My June trip through the Trou d'Enfer on Ile Reunion. I'm not sure there is anywhere in the world like it, from my perspective (unless, of course, the grim section of Choprock turns out to be cut into Belgian Chocolate ;)

Chris H.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Kerry" <taatmk@...> wrote:
    Mine was Behunin which I descended for the first time. Long approach hike, exhilarating final rap. >
  6. Don

Don Guest

Even while cold and uncomfortable and hungry and slightly annoyed that I didn't get a beer on my birthday in our unplanned bivy in Orderville canyon, we knew we were having the time of our lives and enjoyed the enjoyable parts. I remember cracking jokes about being able to camp in a canyon where there are no permits. In case you missed it, full story here: http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178474  So Englestead, by far, my most favorite of the year. I'd like to get back there and see the canyon we rushed through...
  7. RAM

RAM Guest

Nice story. Saved that guys bacon. Did you have a fire overnight? Great job. Its funny/stupid how a little discomfort can become so memorable later on when the pain is fades. ;-) See ya FreezeFest Ram

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Don <don_ferguson@...> wrote:
    Even while cold and uncomfortable and hungry and slightly annoyed that I didn't get a beer on my birthday in our unplanned bivy in Orderville canyon, we knew we were having the time of our lives and enjoyed the enjoyable parts. I remember cracking jokes about being able to camp in a canyon where there are no permits. In case you missed it, full story here: http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178474  > So Englestead, by far, my most favorite of the year. I'd like to get back there and see the canyon we rushed through... >
  8. don186000mps

don186000mps Guest

When we finally agreed to stop for the night (took some arguing to come to that) we gathered a bunch of firewood into a pile in case we needed it. We laid there back to back and shivered for about an hour before giving in and building a fire. It's talked about often but can be surprisingly cold down there at night in June. We dug about a foot down into sand and loose rock for our fire pit. We slept and lost-sleep as close to it as we could get. Seemed like only the part of my body facing the fire was ever warm. The part facing away was cold and the part on the ground was coldest. In the morning buried and concealed our evidence. There was one half burned log that we buried up behind a rock outcrop. Someone would really have to be looking to find it or out campfire spot.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    Nice story. Saved that guys bacon. Did you have a fire overnight? Great job. Its funny/stupid how a little discomfort can become so memorable later on when the pain is fades. ;-) > See ya FreezeFest > Ram
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Don <don_ferguson@> wrote:

Even while cold and uncomfortable and hungry and slightly annoyed that I didn't get a beer on my birthday in our unplanned bivy in Orderville canyon, we knew we were having the time of our lives and enjoyed the enjoyable parts. I remember cracking jokes about being able to camp in a canyon where there are no permits. In case you missed it, full story here: http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178474 
    So Englestead, by far, my most favorite of the year. I'd like to get back there and see the canyon we rushed through...
    >
  9. RAM

RAM Guest

With the service you provided at the accident site, no one will begrudge your staying warm by a fire that night. Again, kudos on your support in a bad situation. R

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "don186000mps" <don_ferguson@...> wrote:
    When we finally agreed to stop for the night (took some arguing to come to that) we gathered a bunch of firewood into a pile in case we needed it. We laid there back to back and shivered for about an hour before giving in and building a fire. It's talked about often but can be surprisingly cold down there at night in June. > We dug about a foot down into sand and loose rock for our fire pit. We slept and lost-sleep as close to it as we could get. Seemed like only the part of my body facing the fire was ever warm. The part facing away was cold and the part on the ground was coldest. > In the morning buried and concealed our evidence. There was one half burned log that we buried up behind a rock outcrop. Someone would really have to be looking to find it or out campfire spot.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:

Nice story. Saved that guys bacon. Did you have a fire overnight? Great job. Its funny/stupid how a little discomfort can become so memorable later on when the pain is fades. ;-)
    See ya FreezeFest
    Ram

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Don <don_ferguson@> wrote:

Even while cold and uncomfortable and hungry and slightly annoyed that I didn't get a beer on my birthday in our unplanned bivy in Orderville canyon, we knew we were having the time of our lives and enjoyed the enjoyable parts. I remember cracking jokes about being able to camp in a canyon where there are no permits. In case you missed it, full story here: http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178474 
    > So Englestead, by far, my most favorite of the year. I'd like to get back there and see the canyon we rushed through...
  10. I'll bet that the evidence has already been erased during the last flash in the canyon. Don't lose any sleep over it.

bruce from bryce

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 10:20 AM, RAM adkramoo@aol.com> wrote:

> With the service you provided at the accident site, no one will begrudge > your staying warm by a fire that night. Again, kudos on your support in a > bad situation. > R
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group <canyons%40yahoogroups.com>, "don186000mps" > <don_ferguson@...> wrote:

When we finally agreed to stop for the night (took some arguing to come > to that) we gathered a bunch of firewood into a pile in case we needed it. > We laid there back to back and shivered for about an hour before giving in > and building a fire. It's talked about often but can be surprisingly cold > down there at night in June.
    We dug about a foot down into sand and loose rock for our fire pit. We > slept and lost-sleep as close to it as we could get. Seemed like only the > part of my body facing the fire was ever warm. The part facing away was cold > and the part on the ground was coldest.
    In the morning buried and concealed our evidence. There was one half > burned log that we buried up behind a rock outcrop. Someone would really > have to be looking to find it or out campfire spot.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group <canyons%40yahoogroups.com>, "RAM" > <adkramoo@> wrote:

Nice story. Saved that guys bacon. Did you have a fire overnight? Great > job. Its funny/stupid how a little discomfort can become so memorable later > on when the pain is fades. ;-)
    > See ya FreezeFest
    > Ram

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group <canyons%40yahoogroups.com>, Don > <don_ferguson@> wrote:

Even while cold and uncomfortable and hungry and slightly annoyed > that I didn't get a beer on my birthday in our unplanned bivy in Orderville > canyon, we knew we were having the time of our lives and enjoyed the > enjoyable parts. I remember cracking jokes about being able to camp in a > canyon where there are no permits. In case you missed it, full story here: > http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178474

> So Englestead, by far, my most favorite of the year. I'd like to get > back there and see the canyon we rushed through...
  11. don186000mps

don186000mps Guest

Yeah, not really worried about it now, but at the time we were careful to cover our tracks; I don't want to be the douche who left obvious camp sign around in canyon. :)

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, bruce silliman <weabruce@...> wrote:
    I'll bet that the evidence has already been erased during the last flash in > the canyon. Don't lose any sleep over it.
    bruce from bryce
    On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 10:20 AM, RAM <adkramoo@...> wrote:

> With the service you provided at the accident site, no one will begrudge
    your staying warm by a fire that night. Again, kudos on your support in a
    bad situation.
    R

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group <canyons%40yahoogroups.com>, "don186000mps"
    <don_ferguson@> wrote:

When we finally agreed to stop for the night (took some arguing to come
    to that) we gathered a bunch of firewood into a pile in case we needed it.
    We laid there back to back and shivered for about an hour before giving in
    and building a fire. It's talked about often but can be surprisingly cold
    down there at night in June.
    > We dug about a foot down into sand and loose rock for our fire pit. We
    slept and lost-sleep as close to it as we could get. Seemed like only the
    part of my body facing the fire was ever warm. The part facing away was cold
    and the part on the ground was coldest.
    > In the morning buried and concealed our evidence. There was one half
    burned log that we buried up behind a rock outcrop. Someone would really
    have to be looking to find it or out campfire spot.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group <canyons%40yahoogroups.com>, "RAM"
    <adkramoo@> wrote:

Nice story. Saved that guys bacon. Did you have a fire overnight? Great
    job. Its funny/stupid how a little discomfort can become so memorable later
    on when the pain is fades. ;-)

See ya FreezeFest

Ram

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group <canyons%40yahoogroups.com>, Don
    <don_ferguson@> wrote:

Even while cold and uncomfortable and hungry and slightly annoyed
    that I didn't get a beer on my birthday in our unplanned bivy in Orderville
    canyon, we knew we were having the time of our lives and enjoyed the
    enjoyable parts. I remember cracking jokes about being able to camp in a
    canyon where there are no permits. In case you missed it, full story here:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=178474

So Englestead, by far, my most favorite of the year. I'd like to get
    back there and see the canyon we rushed through...

> >
  12. TomJones

TomJones Guest

good on ya!!!

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "don186000mps" <don_ferguson@...> wrote:
    Yeah, not really worried about it now, but at the time we were careful to cover our tracks; I don't want to be the douche who left obvious camp sign around in canyon. :) >