Send us a suggestion!

What to use for a pull cord...

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by ratagonia, Dec 24, 2018.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

From one of my many canyoneering friends:

Hi
    I'm using fiddle stick quite often and use 4 mm cord as pull cord
    I have 2 issues with it
    1. It hard to pull in long rappels due to elasticity of the cord
    2. The pull cord can not be used as rappel rope even in emergency (at least not for me)
    I thought about using Kevlar type rope of about 6 mm as pull cord and use it for rappel in emergency only
    You have any recommendations?

Thanks ()

=================

Your points are valid.

We use two types of pull cords in the field.

The 6mm polyester cord I sell is static, so stretch is much less of a problem. 4 lbs for 200 feet. We use this as both a traditional "pull through" rappel pull cord, and for Fiddle Stick Pulls up to 200 feet.

We also use a dyneema 3mm pull cord, which again is static. http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.co...el-1-8-x-300-feet/p/48720000/category=2490784

300 feet of that weighs in at 1 lb 7 oz. Because of its small diameter, it tangles easily and is annoying to stuff - we call it "Milking the Kitty".

Neither of these items is appropriate for actually rappelling on. I consider both these items to be in addition to an appropriate set of ropes for the canyon and the crew. They add more flexibility to the pulling situation, and therefore incidentally to the rappelling situation.

There are Kevlar-type ropes (Technora) available that might work, but please note that these Aramid ropes are meant as a one-use product, and are not meant to be used multiple times for rappelling. Self-abrading is a problem with all Aramids, though Technora is better than Kevlar.

The main concern I have with small diameter cords is not with strength, per se, but with cuttability. If the rappel is "Ideal", ie, the 'rope' does not touch the rock between the anchor and the ground, then various small-diameter cords COULD be used, perhaps. But in an emergency (ie, you have already messed up), the rappels ahead of you to get out of the canyon are unlikely to all be "Ideal".

Bring enough rope.

Tom
    Yaron and townsend like this.
  2. Yaron

Yaron

Hi Tom
    Great answer. Will it be ok with you if I translate it and re-post it on the Israel canyoning organization facebook page (obviously with credit to you)?
    Happy holidays
    Yaron
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

No problemo...