Send us a suggestion!

What to do with unused rope?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by NateFlet, Sep 17, 2018.

1. NateFlet

NateFlet

Hello fellow canyoneers. I happened to have a good amount of unused rope lying around and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I know that I could sell it online (via ebay, craigslist, etc), but that seems to be a bit difficult as shipping a large and heavy package full of rope from Hawaii isn't the easiest thing to do, not to mention how long it would take until someone actually buys the rope. Any one happen to know if there's any arborist/canyoneer/ropework based online market place where the rope would be easier to sell?

On the other hand, I may just donate the rope to clear up some room where I store my climbing gear. This may be a long shot, but if anyone happens to know of any good charities or organizations on Oahu to which I could donate the rope to, I'd love to hear em.

The rope is Singing Rock Static Rope 10.5mm and Red in totally odd sizes. (ranging from 20ft-270ft)

On the other hand, I was maybe thinking of making some use of the rope. Maybe some type of DIY that could be useful, but than again, im quite out of ideas. I'd love to hear if anyone got any cool ideas that could be done with the rope.

Thanks ya'll.
    -Nate
    Kuenn likes this.
  2. hobo_climber

hobo_climber

Something like this maybe?
    NateFlet likes this.
  3. Wayne

Wayne

It is great to teach others how to tie knots and do rope work.
  4. NateFlet

NateFlet

Ahh yes I have seen that. Ill definitely keep that one in mind, but I dont really have much use for a rug at the moment. I like the idea though!
  5. NateFlet

NateFlet

That would be helpful if I knew more people looking to get into ropework...
  6. Kuenn

Kuenn

Lots of options: Donate it to a local adventure, hiking, or scouting group (non-life safety, of course), 100' feet in the trunk/cab (you'll be glad you did), great for hand-lines, wrap it up as a white-elephant/dirty Santa gift (done that), give to a farmer (they've got 101 uses for it), rescue squads, fire departments, marines (boating), and on and on.

I gave 100 feet to my father-in-law a few years back. He was delighted...as if I remarried his daughter all over again! :thumbsup:
    NateFlet likes this.