Send us a suggestion!

What lives in potholes/puddles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jolly Green, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

We took a lap through Water Canyon in Hildale the other day and somewhere in the middle of the canyon we came across a puddle with something interesting. If you look at the picture below, you'll notice 3-4 spaghetti noodle looking worms. They kind of moved like a snake, swimming in that S pattern near the bottom of the puddle. I vaguely recall seeing one of these in another canyon before. These seemed quite out of place living in a puddle in the middle of a technical canyon. Anyone know what they are and how they survive?

P6051856.JPG

Brian in SLC has some recent postings on not disturbing pothole life, so that got me thinking, what else lives in potholes/puddles? Anybody else have any other odd pothole/puddle findings they want to share?
    Jeremy Freeman likes this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

3. Jeremy Freeman

Jeremy Freeman Staff Member

I recently saw gordion worms in Micro Death Hollow, it was my first time; A little creepy! :nailbiting:

During a recent canyon trip to Arizona we saw a bunch of these through a few canyons, aptly named "toe biters" :wideyed: They had the girls screaming as we had to pass through them :p: (not my photo)
    toebiter.

Their sting is apparently very painful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belostomatidae
  4. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

Thanks Tom. I wondered if they were parasitic. All the more reason to keep your mouth closed on those swims.
  5. Tyler Ley

Tyler Ley

6. Tayres

Tayres

Jolley green,
    What were water conditions in water canyon? We are heading through next week. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

Water below the 2nd rap is a cold swimmer and quite stinky. The rest of the water isnt bad and was welcomed on a hot day. Definitely no wetsuits. Try to start before 8.
  8. Tayres

Tayres

Good to know. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Slipknot

Slipknot

Went through Water Canyon on Saturday. You can stem your way above the water on the second rap to stay dry and not stir up the stink. There were 2 other pools we had to wade through but they were only waist deep. Definitely no need for a wetsuit. $RYTCN48.JPG
  10. Tim Dowling

Tim Dowling

Must have just missed you on Saturday. I went through with a Veags Canyoneering Meetup group. Lots of fun though a little slow. I was helping talk a few less experienced folks off rope and into the swim on the 2nd rap. A few entered the pool less than gracefully and ended up with mouths full of water. This thread makes it a little less funny and way more gross. I guess I need to be more descriptive when I tell people to "gently lower yourself into the water and then swim across."
  11. Slipknot

Slipknot

I think we saw your group hiking up. We started at 7am and got back to the car at 1pm. I'm sure it won't take them long to remember to keep their mouths closed and not do the "Ker-Plunck" touchdown. Learning the hard way always seems to stay in the memory banks a lot longer.
    Jeremy Freeman likes this.