Send us a suggestion!

What is the best leprechaun between left and right

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by levifackrell, Mar 8, 2016.

1. levifackrell

levifackrell

I'm going to be doing leprechaun canyon with some friends. They have basic Canyoneering skills but they are not good enough to go through the middle fork. so I'm trying to figure out which fork is the best and why. Maybe even include some pictures of your favorite parts. I'm also open to other suggestions in the north wash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

"best" is pretty suggestive.

MY opinion is that west is a little more physical and has some great down climbs. If you do west, you also have the narrows at the bottom to negotiate.

East is longer in my memory.

Does everyone have helmets?

When are you going?
  3. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

East is longer and probably has more bang for buck, but West is nice too and has a really cool ending.
    ratagonia likes this.
  4. levifackrell

levifackrell

We are going to leave Friday and Saturday we are doing the canyon currently I'm going through the process of borrowing helmets
    We only have 1 out of 5

5. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

I had to read that a couple times to understand. (a little punctuation goes a long way)

Im going to be in the area on thursday and would offer to show you around but...

They have "basic canyoneering skills" but no helmets?

Perhaps reconsider your activities if you cant go adequately prepared.
  6. levifackrell

levifackrell

Sorry on my punctuation.I'm picking up some helmets as we speak. I understand the reason for helmets I just don't have them for everyone.

Bootboy likes this.
  7. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

I would consider the right more scenic and pretty raps right before you meet the Mid fork (longer approach depending on how you hike there). The left I consider a mini middle fork requiring tight downclimb but not as tight. Neither are to impressive once I did the middle. After doing R/L each once, I have only done the middle 4 times. Most "experienced" groups can do all three in a day but with the little description you gave of the group just 1 may take awhile.

I would look at Blarney both forks make a nice day and I think they offer more in terms of canyons for beginners over the L/R of Lep. There are tons of canyons here a little research will show you 30 or so easy short canyons in the area, but make sure you read them some are hard and some are extremely tight (tighter than Mid Lep).
  8. Iceaxe

Iceaxe

Do the east (right) fork as it's by far the biggest bang for the buck and requires less than half a day. If you want more action you can add the west (left) fork and create a combo meal.

Adding the west fork only adds an hour for experienced canyoneers, maybe two hours for weekend warriors. But bottomline both forks can easily be done as a combo meal in little more than half a day. This sequence also allows you to check out the bottom squeeze section you will encounter when descending west (and middle) fork.

If doing the combo platter as you are walking out of Leprechaun you will encounter a small side drainage entering from the north. The ridge between the small drainage and main lep allows easy access back to the top and deposits you right at the beginning of the west fork. Easy peasy....
    2065toyota and ratagonia like this.