Send us a suggestion!

Wetsuits for neon/ringtail in mid-June.

Discussion in 'Utah' started by Pictish, May 25, 2016.

1. Pictish

Pictish

Hi y'all,
    I'm taking a trip the weekend of June 11 to Escalante to do Neon (from fairly far up the drainage) and maybe the next day do the top-down route for ringtail. 4 people in our party of 6 need to rent wetsuits. I'm trying to keep weight down (that exit hike is taxing) so I was initially thinking of having them just rent farmer John suits since it'll probably be fairly hot out. I'm beginning to think a 3/2 full might be a safer option since hot weather isn't guaranteed and the 2 guys in farmer johns I did neon with last October got a little cold during the hundred meter swims. Also ringtail sounds like it could be fairly chilly regardless of weather. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
  2. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

3/2 would be wise as the water in there never really gets warm. High ambient temps help when you have only brief exposure to water. Neon can and does have prolonged exposure.
    2065toyota likes this.
  3. Zach Olson

Zach Olson

I did Neon last May (2015) in a farmer john and i wish I'd had a 3/2.
  4. Pictish

Pictish

Well, that settles things. Thanks guys.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

3/2? I think the distinction here is between a Farmer John and a Full-Full. I recommend a Full-Full in the 4/3 thickness (assuming you can get that) CAN be rented at ZAC. The 4/3 weighs very close to the same as the 3/2, but considerably warmer.

Tom
    2065toyota likes this.
  6. Pictish

Pictish

Well Tom, can't argue with your reasoning and now I wish I could get my hands on some 4/3 suits. That's what I own actually. Unfortunately our schedule probably won't allow us to get to ZAC before they close Friday evening. Price is also a factor as we won't be able to return the suits until Monday morning, for which ZAC charges a full day while the dive shop in St. George we're renting from does not. That along with the higher per day price would more than triple the cost to rent from ZAC vs. the dive shop. I'm thinking (hoping) the difference between 4/3 and 3/2 is merely one of comfort and not of safety. I've seen two low body fat friends make it through Neon while as full of water as it can be in October wearing farmer johns with only mild discomfort. Though I'm not sure how thick they were and I'm sure high metabolisms were a factor.
    2065toyota likes this.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

CAN boost them up with ski-type polyester underwear. CAN boost up with a windbreaker/rain jacket on top.

You renting from Adventure Plus in St George? If not, you might give them a call.

Tom
  8. Pictish

Pictish

Yeah, I had already been polling the party to see if anyone had any poly or poly-pro thermals. Until you suggested Adventure Plus I was planning on renting from Dixie Dive, whose options were 3/2mm or full 7mm. It didn't even occur to me to search for a canyoneering outfit in St. George. I'll definitely give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.