Send us a suggestion!

Wetsuits for "large" canyoneers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Patterson, May 25, 2016.

1. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Are there any "large" canyoneers here who have found a wetsuit that works? I have a Hyperflex 3X, but it seems too small to me.
  2. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Scott, I dont know you but I have a hard time believing that a 3X wetsuit is too small for you... Unless you've put on some weight from the photos I've seen of you
  3. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

It's too small around my legs especially.
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  4. Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

Not your question, but I'm 6'5", 210. About the only wetsuit I've found that fits me well is O'Neill in size XLT. Upside is that they are awesome wetsuits. Downside is that they are on the more expensive side and rarely at screaming discounts like the Hyperflex.

Any other 6'5", 210lb folks with some good alternatives? (Or someone at O'Neill who would like a big ugly guy with multiple personality disorders as a spokesperson in return for product? :thumbsup:.)
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

Different brands are likely patterned out for different body shapes. Much like jeans or dresses.

For those who wear jeans or dresses, or both.

I could order you the stretchier suit Hyperflex has, but they are more expensive.

Tom
  6. Taylor

Taylor

Try Tommy D sports. That's the website Shane usually suggests and I have a couple of their suits. Most models of suits on their site go pretty big. The suits I have seem to run large as well.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

I ordered one of their suits and found it un-wearable. Strange shape of pattern, stiff neoprene with minimal stretch. Cheap though...

Anyone want it?

T
  8. Taylor

Taylor

Interesting. Most suits I've owned restricted my arm movement and were too tight generally upper body. Not so with the two I have from TommyD.
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

Different body shapes. One thing I like about the Hyperflex suits is that the neoprene is very stretchy, so they adapt to different body shapes well. They have an even-more-stretchy-rubber line, that costs more.

Tom
    2065toyota likes this.
  10. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I have one if these and love it. A lot more comfortable than my other suits. I'm 6' 5" and 210 and use a 2xl

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike Rogers likes this.
  11. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

6'6' 210 here. I've never had problems with the hyperflex 4/3 XLT I've used. I also picked up a 2 mm Body Glove suit on sale last year that is very flexible. Ive found I will never even try anything that isn't tall or long. Otherwise the torso isn't long enough and I'm suddenly capable of singing soprano.
    Mike Rogers likes this.
  12. Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

I'll have to give the Hyperflex another try. I found their XL-Long too tight in the chest and a bit loose in the waist. But my body shape changes constantly depending on what I'm doing a lot of. (That makes clothing fit really interesting.)
  13. ratagonia

ratagonia

Body shape can be adjusted by drinking beer and eating ice cream. Unfortunately, un-adjusting tends to be much harder.

T
  14. Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

I can confirm Tom's statement with empirical evidence. If you don't have ice cream or the temperature is too cold, cheese also works.
    Bootboy, Rapterman and ratagonia like this.
  15. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I used the wetsuit yesterday. Once it is wet, it seems to be not quite as tight. I still wish there was a wetsuit that I can find that I can move around a bit better in, but it did OK. Oh, and one more problem. I seem to be allergic to neoprene.:facepalm: