Send us a suggestion!

Wetsuit: 4/3mm versus 3/2mm

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by bsilliman2001, Aug 28, 2006.

1. I currently own just a 7/5mm wetsuit and am looking for a lighter one. Looking for some opinions on whether a 3/2mm will be too light for most summer/fall canyons requiring a wetsuit.

I know that the 7/5 was plenty warm this spring down on Clear Creek and will be ok for any winter canyons I venture into.

Also, looking for brand name suggestions and possible sources.

Thanks,

bruce from bryce
  2. 3/2 mm is not too light for summer and fall canyons. I've used mine in January (Black Hole and Trail), and it did get chilly a few times (a thicker one is obviously better for winter), but in summer, I can't imagine needing more than that in summer and fall, even if you are skinny.

bsilliman2001 weabruce@hotmail.com> wrote: I currently own just a 7/5mm wetsuit and am looking for a lighter one. Looking for some opinions on whether a 3/2mm will be too light for most summer/fall canyons requiring a wetsuit.

I know that the 7/5 was plenty warm this spring down on Clear Creek and will be ok for any winter canyons I venture into.

Thanks,

bruce from bryce

All-new Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.
  3. i have had some skinny friends get cold in a 3/2 wetsuits in MAY in zion and west canyon (completely full).

YMMV.

stefan

On Aug 29, 2006, at 9:35 AM, scott patterson wrote:

> 3/2 mm is not too light for summer and fall canyons. I've > used mine in January (Black Hole and Trail), and it did get chilly > a few times (a thicker one is obviously better for winter), but in > summer, I can't imagine needing more than that in summer and fall, > even if you are skinny.
    bsilliman2001 weabruce@hotmail.com> wrote: I currently > own just a 7/5mm wetsuit and am looking for a lighter one. > Looking for some opinions on whether a 3/2mm will be too light for > most > summer/fall canyons requiring a wetsuit.
    I know that the 7/5 was plenty warm this spring down on Clear Creek > and > will be ok for any winter canyons I venture into.
    Thanks,
    bruce from bryce

> > All-new Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things > done faster.

When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make > reading and searching easier. You can use the following > abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = > Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions > and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please > use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for > us, such as:
    Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?
    To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on > yahoo: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/
    > This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the > "Edit My > Membership" link, and change your delivery option. > Press "Save > Changes".
    DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email > to you each day summarizing that day's messages.
    WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you > must visit the web site to view messages. > Groups Links

>
  4. Ryan

Ryan Guest

I have a 4/3 that I have used for several years and feel that it's a great weight. Warm enough for Choprock when I did it, but not too warm.

Currently I have a tommyd wetsuit (http://tommydsports.com/). I have the front zip 5mm. For $50, the price is right and I have been happy with it. Comfortable fit on me (I have the large, and am 6'2", 170). Used in Kolob, and provided plenty of warmth.

I have reservations about paying very much for a wetsuit. No matter how careful I am, they always get nicked up. If your patient, you can often find either good sales, or used ones on the net for cheap.

Ryan

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "bsilliman2001" <weabruce@...> wrote:
    I currently own just a 7/5mm wetsuit and am looking for a lighter one. > Looking for some opinions on whether a 3/2mm will be too light for most > summer/fall canyons requiring a wetsuit.
    I know that the 7/5 was plenty warm this spring down on Clear Creek and > will be ok for any winter canyons I venture into.
    Thanks,
    bruce from bryce >
  5. gajslk

gajslk Guest

I currently own just a 7/5mm wetsuit and am looking for a lighter one. > Looking for some opinions on whether a 3/2mm will be too light for most > summer/fall canyons requiring a wetsuit. > Just make sure that it fits pretty tightly - a tight 3/2 is going to be much warmer than a loose 4/3.

Gordon
  6. j b

j b Guest

I am pretty skinny--and 5/3 is right on the cool edge of comfort during May, Sept, and Oct. But, I have a john/jacket combo (from STP at a great price). Next time I'll get a full suit.

Jeff Stefanos Folias sf@math.bu.edu> wrote: i have had some skinny friends get cold in a 3/2 wetsuits in MAY in zion and west canyon (completely full).

YMMV.

stefan

On Aug 29, 2006, at 9:35 AM, scott patterson wrote:

> 3/2 mm is not too light for summer and fall canyons. I've > used mine in January (Black Hole and Trail), and it did get chilly > a few times (a thicker one is obviously better for winter), but in > summer, I can't imagine needing more than that in summer and fall, > even if you are skinny. > > bsilliman2001 weabruce@hotmail.com> wrote: I currently > own just a 7/5mm wetsuit and am looking for a lighter one. > Looking for some opinions on whether a 3/2mm will be too light for > most > summer/fall canyons requiring a wetsuit. > > I know that the 7/5 was plenty warm this spring down on Clear Creek > and > will be ok for any winter canyons I venture into. > > Also, looking for brand name suggestions and possible sources. > > Thanks, > > bruce from bryce > > > > > > > > > > All-new Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things > done faster. > > > > > > When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make > reading and searching easier. You can use the following > abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = > Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions > and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please > use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for > us, such as: > > Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working? > > To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on > yahoo: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/ > > This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the > &amp;amp;quot;Edit My > Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. > Press &amp;amp;quot;Save > Changes&amp;amp;quot;. > > DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email > to you each day summarizing that day's messages. > > WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you > must visit the web site to view messages. > Groups Links > > > > >

Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.
  7. Fit is very important in relation to warmth. A 3/2 that fits well would be warmer than a 4/3 that exchanges more water. I know that may not help you much but it's an important point to remember. I wear a 3mm vest under my 3/2 frequently and it really makes it a lot warmer since the back zipper in my cheap 3/2 leaks a fair amount and the fit around the neck and shoulders is not great.

Neil

Everyone is raving about the all-new Mail.

8. ionsmuse

ionsmuse Guest

I currently own just a 7/5mm wetsuit and am looking for a lighter one. > Looking for some opinions on whether a 3/2mm will be too light for most > summer/fall canyons requiring a wetsuit.

I've been cold in my 3/2 in Trail in March (cold water and weather), warm in Shenanigans during the same time, found it fine for Swell canyons during April, was very comfy in Das Boot in late May, fine in Davis in early December, chilly in a very wet Not-Mindbender during late November, etc.

A thinish full suit like that is very versitile. If things are a bit chilly, layering capilene and light fleece underneath can be quite effective; particularly if as noted the suit is tight (but not too tight!).

> Also, looking for brand name suggestions and possible sources. >

Something cheap from sierratradingpost.com. Mine is a women's 14 I got for $35.
  9. scott c.

scott c. Guest

I just bought a 7/5 for Imlay (too much suit for August) and I own a 3/2. I use the 3/2 a lot for summer stuff. I have worn the 3/2 in Das Boot in early June last year with run off and was fine. I also have worn it in a bunch of canyons in the swell and roost and have been fine. I am 6'2" and about 195 to 215 lbs depending on my work load, dutch oven consumption and incentive to fit in my 7/5 wet suit. If you decide on a 3/2, Sportsman's Warehouse in SLC, Utah is about the cheapest place I have found. I bought my 7/5 from Scuba.com who has a bunch of suits from cheap to really expensive. I looked at tommy sports but the photos were so bad and the fit looked so bad that I didn't trust them. Glad to hear that they are ok from others.

Scott Card

bsilliman2001 weabruce@hotmail.com> wrote: I currently own just a 7/5mm wetsuit and am looking for a lighter one. Looking for some opinions on whether a 3/2mm will be too light for most summer/fall canyons requiring a wetsuit.

Thanks,

bruce from bryce

All-new Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.
  10. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

3/2 mm OK for summer, marginal for fall and spring, not enough for winter. Please note that the difference in how people deal with the cold water varies greatly. Of course it tends along the lines of surface area versus bulk and body fat, but individual preferences matter, as well as variables in how fast people's metabolisms run. I fall into the average, to slightly cold camp. Most important for me, is flexibility in systems. I love a 4/3 suit. Also in the arsenal is a 2mm shorty, to supplement the 4/3. This covers a whole range of water exposure at varies times of year. Works. As others have said, the fit and preventing water from flowing through the system is most important. An old retired and beat up puffball or splash jacket, fills a slightly oversized suit to perfection. Too tight is very bad to.

> Also, looking for brand name suggestions and possible sources.

I am a fan of Neosport. I have heard that Mr. Jones at Imlay canyoneering Gear now carries the line http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/

Ram
  11. davewyo1

davewyo1 Guest

Okay,I'm jumping in. I like to think of my wetsuits as a system rather than a group of unrelated gear. So,you want to get as much versatility as possible from what you buy next(given what you already have). The 7/5 mm suit is your cold-water/winter set-up. Now you need a medium set-up and a summer set-up. Consider getting a two piece suit to cover these needs. Most two-piece suits are a Farmer John with a "Shortie" Jacket that has long sleeves.Each can be worn separately. Alternatively,get two more suits.A 3mm and a 5mm. I own Mares,Acona,and Neosport suits and they all shredd when you do canyoneering(go figure...). The Mares is larger than the Acona even though the size-chart rates them nearly the same.So,each brand of suit fits different.Don't be afraid to return it if you think it doesn't work.I hear Seirra Trading Post is good about returns. Do a web search on wetsuits and hit all the spots you can.All of the larger outlets are very competitive and you can often get the "killer" deal... Dave

I know that the 7/5 was plenty warm this spring down on Clear Creek and > will be ok for any winter canyons I venture into.
    Thanks,
    bruce from bryce >