Send us a suggestion!

Western North Carolina

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by driftwood, Jul 19, 2013.

1. driftwood

driftwood

Maybe a long shot, but if anyone is interested in doing any canyoning in WNC, specifically the Pisgah area, drop me a pm. I know of several good canyons in the area and have a list of others I'd like to check out. Not many people do this out here and I'd like to do it more this summer so some new partners would be nice. So, if anyone in the area is interested I look forward to hearing from you soon :)
    Ram likes this.
  2. MTN_DUDE

MTN_DUDE

driftwood Can't help ya now but hopefully I'll be out that way next year for Grad School!
  3. Donna

Donna

I live in Myrtle Beach, SC. I've only done canyoneering in Utah. Where do you go in North Carolina?
  4. Ram

Ram

Awesome. My experience with Appalachian stream beds is......SLIPPERY! But that is New Jersey to Maine. Like that in the Smokey's? My friend the Professor used to be on searches for downed small planes in that range. Many remain unfound. I image fall would be awesome for your purposes. Love to hear more
  5. Sam G

Sam G

Driftwood,
    How's it goin?
    I saw your trip report from Bonas Defeat a while back and I was amazed. What a beautiful place.
    I've been visiting the area for years, as my parents live in Brevard, and had no idea there was canyoning happening there.

I would love to join you in exploring Pisgah sometime. I don't get there too often, maybe once a year, but next time I'm around I'll PM you for sure. Probably won't be in the area 'till late summer.
  6. driftwood

driftwood

We canyon in and around Pisgah and Nantahala National Forests. Mainly in the Brevard area. The best known route is Big Bradley (not in a National Forest) which was featured in National Geographic Adventure magazine. Bonas Defeat is often cited as the only 'real' canyoning in the state but that is far from the case.

Canyon season is quickly coming up and we have a list of plenty of new places to check out as well as several really good known routes.

Anyone coming out this way who wants to hang from a rope in a waterfall send me a pm.
    hank moon likes this.
  7. Kuenn

Kuenn

Loved running the Nanty a few years back when work placed me in the area...actually more like 3 hours away, but close enough for an afternoon run. Never thought about canyoneering there - can't think of a more beautiful place for it.
  8. Driftwood, are you still looking for canyoning partners? I have been active in the Pacific Northwest over the past few years, and I live in Chattanooga currently (for caving). I am interested in descending some established routes in North Carolina, and especially in opening new canyons.