Send us a suggestion!

West Rim Trailhead Access

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigjstyle22, May 15, 2019.

1. bigjstyle22

bigjstyle22

Has anyone attempted to drive down to the West Rim Trailhead below Lava Point? I'm trying to assess a couple of things for a trip at the end of the month:

1) I know Kolob Terrace Road is now open, but how are the road conditions along Lava Point Road and then down the hill from the ranger station to the actual trailhead? Are there big impassable patches of snow? Is the road super muddy? Is the gate near the ranger station at the top of the road down to the trailhead even open yet? If not, is there any way to know when it might be opened?
    2) Assuming you can access the trailhead, does anyone have plans to try Boundary before the end of the month? Just wondering if it will be doable in 2.5 weeks....snow in the canyon itself...Kolob Creek flow...etc. (I do plan on calling the Washington County Water District as time gets closer).

Thanks in advance to anyone with info.
  2. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

The West rim road is still closed. The gate is closed and there is snow on it. I wont be surprised if its closed for 2 to 3 more weeks. It will depend on the temps up there.

The Kolob Reservoir is pretty full already and I was told its close to breaching so they are suppose to start releasing water soon. I have not heard the amount yet but I am expecting it will enough to close it As for Boundary, its a guess at this point of flow unless someones been in it. I may walk in the next two weeks and check it and possibly drop it if the conditions are right. Couple times that I have done it was right after the road opened to the West Rim TH and it was between 3 and 5 cfs.

I would have alternatives planned and will let you know if I end up hiking into it.
    ratagonia likes this.
  3. bigjstyle22

bigjstyle22

Thanks for the input/info. We do have a back-up lined up for the day we were thinking of doing Boundary. If you do end up going over there before the end of the month, any information would be very appreciated.
    ratagonia likes this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

CRNPRES - do you mean JUST the last section of the road? So the road to Lava Point is open? Please clarify.

My guess is that Boundary will be running until at least July 4th. Which could be really good.

My guess is that Kolob will be in flood until mid-June, and this could be a real problem as far as getting from the end of Boundary to the MIA - although it is more likely to be burly (challenging) than to be impossible (overly dangerous).

Tom
  5. bigjstyle22

bigjstyle22

I'm assuming he meant from the gate down at the top of the hill to the trailhead. My cousin drove out to Lava Point Saturday and made it there fine, but he didn't notice if the gate near the ranger station down to the MIA was open or not (had I known he was going in advance I would have tasked him with doing some recon for me!).
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

Thanks for clarifying CRNPRES's post.
  7. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

West Rim Road is closed that being the gate near the ranger cabin. Lava point road was closed (people have been pulling chain/closed sign down off the turn off if the KT), but it should be “officially” open tomorrow. The cattle guard at the park boundary will need some repair but it’s one lane. It is passable to campground and picnic area. Campground opening expected soon.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

Thank you.
  9. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Was up there Sunday. There was no snow the whole way up, except a bit in the trees by the cabin. But then it started to snow. A lot. Blue Springs Reservoir was a couple feet below the road.

Kolob Reservoir was overflowing very heavily; enough to give me pause about doing Boundary out MIA because of the Kolob section... or even just Boundary in general...

Plenty of other neat corners of the park to check out though. Enjoy.
    darhawk and ratagonia like this.