Send us a suggestion!

West Baker approach question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt Weyen, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Matt Weyen

Matt Weyen

Has anyone gone to West Baker from the South (Early Weed Bench entrance) and found a shorter route than what is shown in MK's beta? Basically, I'm asking if there is a way to cross East Baker to get a straight shot at West Baker?

Thank you in advance for any information.
  2. Canyonero

Canyonero

Matt Weyen likes this.
  3. 2065toyota

2065toyota

We did it from the North earlier this year, there is a lot of country and side canyons out there to navigate. It was a fairly long approach and return
    Matt Weyen likes this.
  4. Matt Weyen

Matt Weyen

Yeah, I've done West Baker from the North. It was fantastic! The plan is to do all of the Bakers this coming May so we will be staying at the "Ruins Campsite" MK lists which is to the South. I think I've found a good break in East Baker at 37.599339, -111.118959 to get across it, but I was hoping somebody else had done it to prove that it for sure works or let me know of something better.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

it's not an adventure until something goes wrong
  6. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Not sure if you have done Ringtail or not, but I much prefer that over West Baker and they are in the same vicinity
  7. Matt Weyen

Matt Weyen

True that! Especially if it's nothing too over the top that goes wrong.

Ringtail is an amazing canyon for sure! I've done it two and a half times in all sorts of conditions. The half was from a trip from the bottom up before I really knew about this thing called canyoneering. I think I liked both about equally, but for very different reasons. I thought Ringtail was more fun from a technical challenge perspective, but I was blown away by West Baker for it's beauty. We timed the confluence perfectly. The lighting was surreal when we were there.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

Though the two canyons are quite different.
    2065toyota likes this.
  9. Ram

Ram

I am quite lame with technology, but I have the answer for the shortest, most direct approach to West Baker, in my head. I will steal Erik's map from the other thread linked above and talk one thru it, Someone can print what they think I am saying to see if we can get it displayed accurately.

The start of the explanation is not on this map. Start at Egypt trail head. Go down the initial hill. Once at the bottom, leave the trail and head on the ridge that is the watershed divide of all the Egypt drainage's separating them from the Escalante drainage. It is partly slickrock at first, which makes the trail hard to follow (Do NOT get sucked down into the "To Neon direct trail") but "in and out" trails form near the crest, part way in. It is a stock trail. Easiest to follow in May. See below the arrow that says Escalante River? The trail works its way up/down, to the river, south of the river, in the shallow drainage heading up SW, below said red arrow marked Escalante River, up to the crest, then along the divide (of the map again), back to the Egypt final hill. THIS TRAIL IS EASIER TO FOLLOW BACK TO EGYPT, THAN DOWN TO THE RIVER. I could recommend that folks go back that way, before trying to make their way down the first time.....but what fun would that be? The trail meets the river further down river, from the arrow, on a cobblestone slope. The trail comes in below the arrow, before the river turns south, into the most southerly bend on the map. There is good camping (drinking water can be good or silty) just beyond, in the middle of that southern most bend (North facing alcove confirms the spot). Right away, the river heads NE. There are cowboy glyph's on the left. Leave the river trail onto the trail heading left (continuation of stock trail) The trail that heads up, across a sage plateau (1/3 mile) then into some interesting ledges and slab climbs, going up north, then traverses east, to the south of the arrow that points to "Stand approach route."

Then follow the red line north to the mid canyon entry marked. Mid canyon? (hint, hint)
    If you enter here, note the bolts going on 39 years old. Also , if inclined take out and patch that much newer bolt that is.....drum roll....ON a chockstone, on a downclimb (a bit tricky). Some peoples kids!!

Thoroughly confused?

[​IMG]
  10. Matt Weyen

Matt Weyen

Here is what I drew in as a most likely shortest route from the South. It looks like it crosses pretty cleanly from all of the various satellite images I've zoomed in on. The drawing is not exact, just an "in the very near vicinity."

Attached Files:

• Bakers.JPG
      Filename:
      Bakers.JPG
      File size:
      252.8 KB
      Views: