Send us a suggestion!

Tech Tip: Video Webbing Anchors - Webinar

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Kuenn, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Kuenn

Kuenn

Tom Evans - NCRC Instructor
    September 15, 2015

Recent NSS webinar on simple webbing anchors for sport and rescue rigging. (1 hour)

The discussion includes testing data for a range of webbing anchors, and their properties so that riggers can select the most appropriate for their conditions. The discussion includes a literature review of past anchor testing and results. Static System Safety Factors (SSSF) included.

Webbing_Anchors
    hank moon likes this.
  2. Rapter

Rapter

Caving does not equal Canyoneering. And similarly; Canyoneering does not equal Caving. This is a canyon forum. Not a caving forum.
  3. Blake Merrell

Blake Merrell Lovin' Utah's Backcountry

This is why we have Kuenn with us. He is our Caver-canyoneer and knows when appropriate caving techniques apply :) I would think this webinar would be very valuable for many canyoneers. Thanks for posting Kuenn!
  4. Alias_Rice

Alias_Rice

What exactly is your point? Are you saying caving and canyoneering anchors are so different nothing can be learned from this free webinar?
  5. Kuenn

Kuenn

Point taken.

The webinar discusses static anchor philosophy for sport and rescue rigging. Exclusively dealing with webbing anchors and safety factors. I've not reached the level of anchor building in my canyoneering career to speak intelligently about marginal anchor construction, but I believe it is safe to say, outside of that discipline, static anchors comprise the vast majority of all other anchor types in canyoneering. Given a BFR, tree, chockstone, bolt and I'm confident you'll find a static anchor 90% of the time.

Rapter, if you have the time and the desire, watch the webinar first and then feel free to fire away.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  6. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1 yeti in the jungle

He doesn't speak for everyone. I value your input on all matters. Thanks for sharing, and please share more!!!
    Phavant and Dave Melton like this.
  7. townsend

townsend

Rapter,

We welcome you to the forum, but with somebody with so few postings, do you think you should be policing the forum so soon?

As Kuenn and all cavers know, caving is canyoneering undeground, or as some say, with a roof overhead.:)
  8. Blake Merrell

Blake Merrell Lovin' Utah's Backcountry

I disagree. I think that we have much to learn from the cavers. The way they do things is very beneficial to canyoneers. I don't know why you feel so adimately about segregating, but I for one enjoy learning techniques from Rock Climbers, Cavers, and Arborists. Many of the skills common to those activities, have been introduced in this forum, and I think the forum is better for it! :)