Send us a suggestion!

AZ: Superstitions Waterslides 2-12-17

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Ram, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Ram

Ram

So on the day that I became eligible for Social Security, a canyon was called for. It is a raw day. And a very wet canyon, full of full immersion. Sounds Purrrrr-fect! Jenny hiked in with us a bit and saved us the full car shuttle. So it is Wes, Todd and I....in a canyon called Waterslides, as our Central Arizona tour continued.

A quick side story. My National Park Pass expired last fall. It was a mere 5 months to the time I could get a senor pass for $15 vs. the annual $85 for young people....or so I was told. So for months, I dodge buying a new pass. Super early entries, piggyback on others etc.. A determined effort....For what? To save $70? Heck, at my business we make mistakes near daily that cost that much or more.What a waste of time. I convinced myself that it was just a game, but still had to laugh at myself.

Then in January, Harvey tells me the senor pass has gone up to $60!! You gotta be kidding me!! All that effort and for what.... bringing home further the foolishness of my quest. The good news is that I was unaware that the pass was for life. Thought I would have to buy a $15 pass annually. So now I find solace in thinking I just have to survive 4 years to break even....with the stupid game I have been playing for half a year. Clever boy....not. What I might have done with the thought and energy I spent on this foolishness!!

Back to the canyon. A GREAT canyon. The best canyon of the trip. The upper part, blocky and pleasing to the eye, has 3 quick raps. Jenny serenades us from the rim. Then there are 3 raps spread out to mid canyon, as we dance to keep our feet dry. We arrive at the suit up spot just as the sun tries to break through. Wes and Todd are surprised that there was water and flow here. Then a side canyon came in adding 3-5 CFS. This canyon is known for its slides into deep pools. The rock is smooth and inviting. I am told that most of the year, one must splash water out of the pools to lubricate the slide into the next pool. NOT today. Water is flowing hard and at places, fast.

We get to the first slide. It looks far. It looks fast. Wes confirms both these observations, as he "flies" down the chute. Umm, not sure about this, I climb part way down, have a seat and let fly! For the first time today, but not the last, I feel the acceleration. I feel the impact. I feel my helmet catch water and try to detach my neck from my head. I feel water go far up my nose. I hear the strange sound of being in disturbed water, fully underwater. The muffled gurgle, changing tones from entry, to the deep and back up again. Now I can't get enough of all of it!

A dozen water slides, one down a 70 degree, 35 foot ramp. Did I get to 25 MPM on that one? WHEEE...WHEEE ,WHEEE! I think we are almost done. While mostly the slides a done, a lovely, wet and engaging lower gorge comes into view and the sun comes out and over an hour more slot is engaged, wet, flowing, loud, fun. Glorious! A sizable hike out finishes the day. We move camp, rain comes, followed by brilliant lighting, adorned with rainbows, but those pictures I will share with the next album, on the next day, in the next canyon
    Happy birthday to me
    In my wet suit I pee
    Pleased as can be
    A new canyons for me
    Ramoo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a video from April of 2012 I found in the archive from Gulag
  2. Kuenn

Kuenn

We could have setup a $60 GoFundMe account in your behalf...with the stipulation of $1 max contribution per donor...probly taken a whole day (or less) to squeeze that kind of dough out of your friends!

Exciting trip report, and what a way to celebrate your Senior achievement...kids will be kids!

Maxwell gives a two thumbs up! (or should that be cloven-hooves).
    Ram likes this.
  3. Wes1

Wes1

A few photos of Ram.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

• slide.
      Filename:
      slide.jpg
      File size:
      208.4 KB
      Views:
    Chris Grove, Kuenn, danf and 2 others like this.
  4. Scott Chandler

Scott Chandler Wildness is a necessity-John Muir

Where are you getting a $60 senior access pass Ram? The passes will be going up soon but they should still be the longstanding $10...
  5. Ram

Ram

Harvey, Harvey Halpern, King of the Canyoneers, gave me the info....I was misinformed. Is there a way to get a card without going to some entry station, before its too late?
  6. Scott Chandler

Scott Chandler Wildness is a necessity-John Muir

I think you'll have to go to an entrance station or Visitor Center. I haven't heard of the price increase taking place until later in the year though, so you have some time.
  7. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

I'll be getting a pass next month. Last I heard/seen (last week) it's still $10. Yeah, I believe you have to go to a NP, NM.
  8. Todd Martin

Todd Martin

9. robert kyslovsky

robert kyslovsky

Awesome...Like the Jug on super steroids...
    great photos, looks like a great canyon, and always a great Ram story...
    Awesome
    Ram likes this.