Send us a suggestion!

UT: Zion Water Canyon 4/5/2019

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by baggiebloke, Apr 5, 2019.

1. baggiebloke

baggiebloke

Shot through this from the upper plateau to the last rap today. Plenty of run off, but most of the snow has melted out. Got pounded in the last waterfall. Some swims. Full wet suit IMG_4639. is a necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ram, ratagonia, nkanarik and 5 others like this.
  2. baggiebloke

baggiebloke

I should add that we had to do the walk of shame on rappel 11 (32M rappel in this picture). The combination of double 8s, rope groves and the hydraulics made pulling the ropes impossible. Fortunately, the trail joins the canyon at this point so it was just a short scramble to retrieve our ropes.

3. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

Lucky to have the ability to double back. It’s unfortunate the rare times these sandstone slots are in a class C condition the impacts of rope grooving increase the risk.
  4. baggiebloke

baggiebloke

This was my first experience of class C conditions - and I am glad this happened where it did. Useful lesson learned in a safe environment. Sure, Subway had flowing water when I did it, but all off the rappels were essentially out of the main flow. Rappel 11 in Water Canyon is in retrospect the only one in the canyon where the water flowed in force over the ropes/groves. The 1st person down did a test pull and couldn’t move them, but we knew we could retreat back up the trail if the two of us couldn’t move them together.

I will be definitely careful selecting rappel points if I am ever in class C conditions. I wonder, is it common to carry an extra rope in class C given the risk of getting your ropes stuck, and the difficulty of ascending a rope thru flowing water?

5. ratagonia

ratagonia

Standard practice in Class C canyons is to rappel single line, with a contingency setup when rapping IN a waterfall.

Two ropes hanging in a waterfall will twist around each other much of the time. If you are using an ATC or similar and arrive at a twist, you might have considerable issues getting further down the rope. The second rope, the retrieval rope, can be held out of the way and out of the waterfall, usually.

And yes, the chance of getting the rope stuck is higher in Class C canyons, so one should consider carrying spare ropes.

Tom
    Mountaineer likes this.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

The big rappel near the top - out of the flow?

Tom
  7. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

I’m a big advocate for carrying more rope than less. I’ve found if every member of your party carries some rope, or other group gear, the moral and combined experience goes up for the canyon. Plus the feeling of responsibility and contribution to the problems in canyon. When everyone at one point or another may need to dig deep into their pack to pull out the key piece of equipment needed to solve the puzzle, teamwork is born.

Also, class C is almost a different sport than the modern canyoneering we are doing on the Colorado Plateau. Toggles, water/sand anchors, and many partner techniques go out the window in big C.
  8. baggiebloke

baggiebloke

That rappel was actually slightly to the side of the flow[​IMG]

Jared Robertson and ratagonia like this.
  9. baggiebloke

baggiebloke

The big rappel was a pain for the equipment list. For canyoneering I bought 120ft imlay and light weight retrieval cord. This has been a great set up for Escalante adventures. For this canyon with 150ft plus rappels, I had to dig into my climbing gear for a 200ft dynamic lead rope, and 2 x 100ft dynamic 1/2 lead ropes) the latter was more flexible for short rappels than bringing another 200ft lead line)

Expensive game this canyoneering; owning lots of different rope lengths (assuming you don’t want to lug around 200ft rope and line everywhere.

ratagonia likes this.
  10. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Expensive. I would have to disagree. One of the least expensive hobbies you could get into. A set of tires for my jeep is more money than supplying all of my family with all the canyoneering gear they need
    Dave Melton likes this.
  11. baggiebloke

baggiebloke

I agree. In this case though there were only 2 of us and we were already carrying 400ft of rope :-(, but after this experience, I would be tempted to take at least another 2-100ft. The risk of sticking so big, even when 1st person does a test pull, e.g. rope moves into a groove after test pull.

12. ratagonia

ratagonia

You can control that (getting stuck in rope grooves) better by doing single-rope rappels.

(He says, after having crossed the rappel and pull sides on that very rappel, and climbing 155 feet using tiblocs in the full sun, one time. Just once.)

Tom
    Javier Saucedo and baggiebloke like this.
  13. nkanarik

nkanarik

FWIW...I did Water Canyon during Memorial Day weekend, and this rappel was still flowing with water. Our ropes (9.2mm and 8.3mm tied with a stacked EDK) also got stock, and we almost did the walk of Shame. As a last attempt, I was standing underneath the waterfall, connected my self with a uTraxion, and applied my full bodyweight (~230 lbs). That did the trick (unlike 2-3 of us pulling on the rope from the end of the pool), and I was sooooooooo happy I didn't have to do the walk of shame.
    ratagonia likes this.
  14. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Don't have to do the walk of shame. Could climb the ropes like a man :D