Send us a suggestion!

Visiting Hawaii - DESPERATELY want to canyoneer while there

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by Shane Willard, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Shane Willard

Shane Willard

I'll be in Oahu on the 18th of this month, and I desperately want to do a half-day canyoneering trip, if possible.

Who should I contact? Is there anyone here that would be willing to guide? Could I rent gear?

There will be 4 of us. I'm the most experienced of the group and have done a lot of canyons (in Utah). Some of my favorites: Neon, Wonderland, Lower Squeeze, Blue John.

Please help.

Shane
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019 at 12:15 AM
  2. Canyonero

Canyonero

Good luck. Hard to find people willing to take visitors because there are so many darn visitors. I think most of the canyons are pretty long too, so might be tricky to get a half day trip. The biggest issue in Hawaii, however, is that a lot of the canyons are at least partially on private land. You can literally own a high quality technical canyon in Hawaii.
  3. Shane Willard

Shane Willard

Canyonero,

Thanks for the response. You make some great points.

Too bad it's not easier to line up some quality canyoneering in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Shane
  4. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Canyoneering guiding is not legal in Hawaii. It seems that many legislators and official whose children make a living raising weed in those canyons that it is an issue. However, there are folks who guide on the downlow over there. Perhaps someone will private message them. You might also consider who posts Hawiian canyons and contact them privately for suggestions. It is being done quietly over there.
    Shane Willard likes this.
  5. Shane Willard

Shane Willard

Spinesnaper,

Thanks for the suggestions and heads up. I'm glad it's "being done quietly over there." Ha! Certainly appreciate your help!!

Shane