Send us a suggestion!

International Vietnam: Rio Sanbuenaventura

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by yetigonecrazy1, Mar 2, 2018.

1. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1 yeti in the jungle

With warm weather starting to return its time to put away the kayaks and get back to canyoning. First target for the season: an obscure unnamed stream about 45 mins from town. Ended up with a couple of rappels, a handful of fun downclimbs, and a great day out to shake off the winter rust. We named it the Rio Sanbuenaventura, and called this section the "Fantastic Falls Gorge". Potentially more above, but we saved that for another day.

IMG_0363Scale.JPG
    Starting down with "Cherry Falls" first

IMG_0395Scale.JPG
    Coming down the flow

IMG_0416Scale.JPG
    Dropping into "The Crack Shaft"

IMG_0435Scale.JPG
    Mid rap in the Shaft

IMG_0455Scale.JPG
    Looking at the rest of the canyon, downclimbs for days

Attached Files:

• slide.
      Filename:
      slide.jpg
      File size:
      223.8 KB
      Views:
    Kuenn, Bill, Ram and 8 others like this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Excellent!!!

Posting beta on Ropewiki????
  3. yetigonecrazy1

Probably not, its not really worth listing.....if someone flies halfway around the world and ends up here with canyoning gear I will happily point them the way if they are hell bent on it, but I will try to dissuade them with better local canyons first
    Dan Ransom and ratagonia like this.
  4. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Awesome, what part of Vietnam are you guys in? I spent a 3 weeks over there in 2009, but didn't do any canyons. Be fun to bring a packraft over there and check out some canyons too. Good stuff!
    yetigonecrazy1 likes this.
  5. yetigonecrazy1

Live in Da Nang, right smack in the middle on the coast. Heaps of mountains here, most of decent geology, and plenty of water. Not much development of adventure sports here so almost everything we are doing, canyoning, kayaking and packrafting, involves opening new routes. We've found about a dozen high quality kayak runs so far, with many more on the horizon, and about the same number of decent canyons. There are still dozens more waiting to be uncovered, too. Our big goal for this year is to tee up a big boy canyon that we've been looking at for a couple years, and then a canyaking trip down this huge granite gorge. I'll try to post as they come and go.....

EDIT: I need to get some of our canyons up but here are some of the rivers we've been finding:
    http://beyond-danang.weebly.com/paddle-danang.html
    Dan Ransom likes this.