Send us a suggestion!

VIDEO -Aquanchor- it being used, how it works and how it was built.

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by RAM, Dec 3, 2012.

1. RAM

RAM Guest

The is bonus footage, not included in the coming documentary, Gorging. I understand several more treats such as this extra footage, are coming your way soon, along with information about the coming film. looking forward to it. Ram

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    Wanna see something pretty cool?
    This was the very first test and use of the Aguanchor (May 2011) and the only footage of how it looks when it empties. Several important improvements have been made to the device since then.
    1- The yellow plastic cord, which takes the PVC sealing device, is now sewn into the fabric, making for a more secure fastening
    2-Webbing has been added to the pull side, in a "Y" shape with an end going to the opposite corner of where the water spills out. that end of the webbing slightly longer. The result is the pipe pulls off, the water starts to empty and THEN a second later the back side of the trap pulls up in the air, emptying the water more effectively so that the trap is almost always empty of water before coming over the drop.
    3-You will note some brown leather cloth as part of the system. It has a hole on each side of it and the rope fits through. It is used for lightweight groove protection. A small piece of garden hose, with some 8mm rope through it is also a tool we use for this. It should be noted, as is obvious from the video, the Aguanchor is very low friction when being pulled. One must be much more vigilant about friction with the sandtrap. Both these tool accomplish that
    http://vimeo.com/53952364
  2. kuenn_k2

kuenn_k2 Guest

Helmets off to the inventors and alpha-testers...

Trying to formulate an idea of weight displacement and realizing there are several variables that will ultimately determine that; approximately how much water will the aquanchor hold?

--- In canyons@yahoogroups.com, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    The is bonus footage, not included in the coming documentary, Gorging. > I understand several more treats such as this extra footage, are coming your way soon, along with information about the coming film. looking forward to it. > Ram
    --- In canyons@yahoogroups.com, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:

This was the very first test and use of the Aguanchor (May 2011) and the only footage of how it looks when it empties. Several important improvements have been made to the device since then.

1- The yellow plastic cord, which takes the PVC sealing device, is now sewn into the fabric, making for a more secure fastening

2-Webbing has been added to the pull side, in a "Y" shape with an end going to the opposite corner of where the water spills out. that end of the webbing slightly longer. The result is the pipe pulls off, the water starts to empty and THEN a second later the back side of the trap pulls up in the air, emptying the water more effectively so that the trap is almost always empty of water before coming over the drop.

3-You will note some brown leather cloth as part of the system. It has a hole on each side of it and the rope fits through. It is used for lightweight groove protection. A small piece of garden hose, with some 8mm rope through it is also a tool we use for this. It should be noted, as is obvious from the video, the Aguanchor is very low friction when being pulled. One must be much more vigilant about friction with the sandtrap. Both these tool accomplish that

3. RAM

RAM Guest

The two short videos (below on Picasa) may help explain the webbing addition that helps empty the trap, as opposed to what happens at the 1 minute 57 second point of the video, the bit of folding over into 2 segments http://vimeo.com/53952364

Here is the explanation videos. Jenny's addition to her own invention. https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/AguanchorEmpties Ram

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "aj.outdoors" <ajmail2011@...> wrote:
    Cool video. Thanks!
    For #2, is the webbing stitched to the trap? I understand the concept, that if you pull from the middle (the normal trap pull), it will hold some of the water as it's essentially creating a small compartment when you are pulling it down. So, for the water trap, the pull should be from the side without the opening.
    My thought was to stitch a small loop onto the sandtrap (both sides) which is where the pull will eventually happen from.
    I was planning to use the pull rope to attach to the water trap release (with a knot and using a rapide, much like I think Jenny does) and then continue that pull cord to the other side of the trap and put a biner or rapide to attach to the loop on the sand trap (again, on the opposite side of the water outlet.)
    So, in essence, when you pull the pull cord; it will release the pvc and let the water drain out some, and then when you pull more, it will grab the other corner of the sand trap and pull that, which should spill out the rest of the contents.
    Thoughts? (I'll be making my version over the Xmas season, so definitely willing to listen to ideas...) Note: I was initially thinking of attaching the loop to the Water Trap, but if the water didn't drain out all the way, I didn't want to add that stress to pulling the Water Trap bag. I'd rather crank on the Sand Trap...

Thanks for any info! > A.J.
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:

> --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:

I have heard some say that the use of sandtraps, aguanchors and fiddlestix are heavy and cumbersome solutions to rappelling. That they would never carry all that extra weight. While the folks that said these things have never seen these tools, let alone used one, it did get me thinking about the weight and size.

We don't take these anchors everywhere. Well maybe the Fiddlestix. It doesn't play in certain areas that well and is weight that can be saved in trade routes. It is invaluable on explorations in Escalante, Glen Canyon and some other places and in any of the many places bolts are now illegal. I sleep so much better than before, tackling the unknown. Not sure how we had the nerve to drop some of these canyons before we had these tools.

We normally carry both the sandtrap and the aguanchor in one potshot. Fits inside quite nicely and packs. For kicks, I added the fiddlestick to the package and weighed it. Including the rapides attached to the anchors that make it "ready for use," it came in at about 3 lb 6 ozs. for everything including the potshot.

I grabbed other gear to see what weighs about the same. A 110 foot, 9mm rope WITHOUT the rope bag is comparable. And the anchor package packs much smaller than the rope. It is hardly the cumbersome deal some skeptics have speculated it to be.

Both Shane and Cabe have said the watertrap is sure to kill someone. This is unlikely as there is only a hand full of them in use and there are no plans for any more to be made. The sharing of the devise was about "sharing the possible", not proposing it become standard. If it were to spark ideas among innovators, then other methods will be developed. Throw the seeds and see what happens.

Great credit is due Jenny West for conceiving the idea, then designing the devise, then building half a dozen of them, testing the various one's she designed and built, modifying them, then field testing them in a safe fashion. Kudos. A fully functional and visionary prototype that was clearly the best option on several occasions.

There were a major rainstorm in both the middle of September and one in the middle of October this fall. The aguanchor got most of it use after these storms, when so many anchor options were under water. This is a valid niche for the tool. I am less nervous about canyoneering after storms now.

Finally a short tale. On a canyon out on the Glen, that we made a first modern descent on, the next to last rap, is a 25 foot overhanging Drop. We fiddlesticked a log the first time. The 2nd time we went, the log had been washed away, but a sandtrap had perfect geometry. The 3rd time we visited the place was after the October storm and this spot was 3 feet deep in water. You know what we did.

The same spot, three different trips, three different solutions, due to changing conditions. These systems have been called clunky and heavy handed. Yet nothing was left. No rocks were farmed, stacked or buried. The sand and water used stayed pretty much where is was gotten, at the top of the anchor. Pretty nifty if you ask me.

While caution is advised during the "learning curve" with these tools, it is unquestioned by those who have SEEN these tools in use, that it is very real steps taken to the "leave no trace" ethic.
    > Ram

> here is a photo collection of the application of the Aguanchor

<a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/WatertrapAnchorApplied?authkey=Gv1sRgCN_67-GPlraAyAE">https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/WatertrapAnchorApplied?authkey=Gv1sRgCN_67-GPlraAyAE</a

> Then a demo

<a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/WaterBagVideo#5477484498946189938">https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/WaterBagVideo#5477484498946189938</a

> What the spot looked like in lower water 5 months earlier. This picture and the next 7

<a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/Rhapsody42412#5737372194377659874">https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/Rhapsody42412#5737372194377659874</a

> Jenny the inventor of the Auganchor and her visual how to build one, picture book

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carverat297/sets/72157628062414488/

>
  4. RAM

RAM Guest

If the estimate in the video of 50 pounds is close, then it holds about 6 gallons? Not sure. When it is in the water, filling to the top is just fine. I like to use less water when laying outside of the water. I like the anchor to lay down a bit. More surface area in contact with the rock. Less likely to "roll" like a ball.

This anchor does not work in flowing water. It is not advised when the anchor lays on mossy surfaces, especially wet ones. A reminder. While the "sweet spot" (what the anchor holds when set up vs. the strength needed to empty it- big difference means bigger "sweet spot.") with the aguanchor is large, back up and tests have to be taken much more seriously than with the sandtrap. When meat backs up the sand trap and it moves, it dumps the sand and the transition to meat anchoring is seamless. When 50 pounds of water wants to go over the edge, added to the rapper, during testing, one can appreciate the need for back up to be much further back from the lip and in a secure location. Ram

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "kuenn_k2" <kuenn@...> wrote:
    Trying to formulate an idea of weight displacement and realizing there are several variables that will ultimately determine that; approximately how much water will the aquanchor hold?

The is bonus footage, not included in the coming documentary, Gorging.
    I understand several more treats such as this extra footage, are coming your way soon, along with information about the coming film. looking forward to it.
    Ram

5. davewyo1

davewyo1 Guest

So is the spelling aQuanchor or aGuanchor? Do I pronounce that "A-Quanker" or "A-Gwanker"? Or is it supposed to be "Ack-wa-anker" or the spanish "Agua-anker"? Personally I've been calling it a "Quanker" for short...

Dave

If the estimate in the video of 50 pounds is close, then it holds about 6 gallons? Not sure. When it is in the water, filling to the top is just fine. I like to use less water when laying outside of the water. I like the anchor to lay down a bit. More surface area in contact with the rock. Less likely to "roll" like a ball.
    This anchor does not work in flowing water. It is not advised when the anchor lays on mossy surfaces, especially wet ones. A reminder. While the "sweet spot" (what the anchor holds when set up vs. the strength needed to empty it- big difference means bigger "sweet spot.") with the aguanchor is large, back up and tests have to be taken much more seriously than with the sandtrap. When meat backs up the sand trap and it moves, it dumps the sand and the transition to meat anchoring is seamless. When 50 pounds of water wants to go over the edge, added to the rapper, during testing, one can appreciate the need for back up to be much further back from the lip and in a secure location. > Ram
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "kuenn_k2" <kuenn@> wrote:

> I understand several more treats such as this extra footage, are coming your way soon, along with information about the coming film. looking forward to it.
    > Ram

>
  6. Randi

Randi Guest

Hahaha - this made me laugh Dave! :)Good questions! I've been thinking it's called the the Spanish "Agua-anker".Whatever the name, it's super cool and I want one! But then again, I want a lot of things. 

--- On Tue, 12/4/12, davewyo1 davewyo1@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: davewyo1 davewyo1@yahoo.com> Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: VIDEO -Aquanchor- it being used, how it works and how it was built. To: Yahoo Canyons Group Date: Tuesday, December 4, 2012, 9:27 AM

So is the spelling aQuanchor or aGuanchor?

Do I pronounce that "A-Quanker" or "A-Gwanker"?

Or is it supposed to be "Ack-wa-anker" or the spanish "Agua-anker"?

Personally I've been calling it a "Quanker" for short...

Dave

>

> If the estimate in the video of 50 pounds is close, then it holds about 6 gallons? Not sure. When it is in the water, filling to the top is just fine. I like to use less water when laying outside of the water. I like the anchor to lay down a bit. More surface area in contact with the rock. Less likely to "roll" like a ball.

>

> This anchor does not work in flowing water. It is not advised when the anchor lays on mossy surfaces, especially wet ones. A reminder. While the "sweet spot" (what the anchor holds when set up vs. the strength needed to empty it- big difference means bigger "sweet spot.") with the aguanchor is large, back up and tests have to be taken much more seriously than with the sandtrap. When meat backs up the sand trap and it moves, it dumps the sand and the transition to meat anchoring is seamless. When 50 pounds of water wants to go over the edge, added to the rapper, during testing, one can appreciate the need for back up to be much further back from the lip and in a secure location.

> Ram

>

> --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "kuenn_k2" <kuenn@> wrote:

>

> The is bonus footage, not included in the coming documentary, Gorging.

> I understand several more treats such as this extra footage, are coming your way soon, along with information about the coming film. looking forward to it.

> Ram

>

>

>
  7. RAM

RAM Guest

Oh the ridicule! No slaps for punctuation or spelling? Oh i guess this is spelling. Watch it or i will throw some incomplete sentences at you!! Nah, nah

To the inventor goes the name. Jenny named it the...

Aguanchor...but allows AKA's Aquanchor and Watertrap

--- In canyons@yahoogroups.com, "davewyo1" <davewyo1@...> wrote:
    So is the spelling aQuanchor or aGuanchor? > Do I pronounce that "A-Quanker" or "A-Gwanker"? > Or is it supposed to be "Ack-wa-anker" or the spanish "Agua-anker"? > Personally I've been calling it a "Quanker" for short...
    Dave

This anchor does not work in flowing water. It is not advised when the anchor lays on mossy surfaces, especially wet ones. A reminder. While the "sweet spot" (what the anchor holds when set up vs. the strength needed to empty it- big difference means bigger "sweet spot.") with the aguanchor is large, back up and tests have to be taken much more seriously than with the sandtrap. When meat backs up the sand trap and it moves, it dumps the sand and the transition to meat anchoring is seamless. When 50 pounds of water wants to go over the edge, added to the rapper, during testing, one can appreciate the need for back up to be much further back from the lip and in a secure location.
    Ram

--- In canyons@yahoogroups.com, "kuenn_k2" <kuenn@> wrote:

> --- In canyons@yahoogroups.com, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:

I understand several more treats such as this extra footage, are coming your way soon, along with information about the coming film. looking forward to it.

Ram

8. cardlaw22

cardlaw22 Guest

Awesome, simply brilliant! Thanks Jenny and thanks to all those brave soles who tested this wonderful piece of equipment. I have been telling people I rappel from sand. People think I am crazy. Can't wait to try this so I can say I rappel from water. Oh, the looks on the faces that I expect to see! Haha.

Scott Card

Oh the ridicule! No slaps for punctuation or spelling? Oh i guess this is spelling. Watch it or i will throw some incomplete sentences at you!! Nah, nah
    To the inventor goes the name. Jenny named it the...
    Aguanchor...but allows AKA's Aquanchor and Watertrap
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "davewyo1" <davewyo1@> wrote:

So is the spelling aQuanchor or aGuanchor?
    Do I pronounce that "A-Quanker" or "A-Gwanker"?
    Or is it supposed to be "Ack-wa-anker" or the spanish "Agua-anker"?
    Personally I've been calling it a "Quanker" for short...

Dave

This anchor does not work in flowing water. It is not advised when the anchor lays on mossy surfaces, especially wet ones. A reminder. While the "sweet spot" (what the anchor holds when set up vs. the strength needed to empty it- big difference means bigger "sweet spot.") with the aguanchor is large, back up and tests have to be taken much more seriously than with the sandtrap. When meat backs up the sand trap and it moves, it dumps the sand and the transition to meat anchoring is seamless. When 50 pounds of water wants to go over the edge, added to the rapper, during testing, one can appreciate the need for back up to be much further back from the lip and in a secure location.
    > Ram

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "kuenn_k2" <kuenn@> wrote:

> Ram

9. Wayne Burns

Wayne Burns Guest

Scott, rappelling from water is awesome (many props to Jenny, and to all who worked on this)...perhaps we can use it during FF XI & then we can say we rappelled from ice cubes also? Wayne

To: canyons@yahoogroups.com From: cardlaw22@yahoo.com Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 00:45:59 &#43;0000 Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: VIDEO -Aquanchor- it being used, how it works and how it was built.

Awesome, simply brilliant! Thanks Jenny and thanks to all those brave soles who tested this wonderful piece of equipment. I have been telling people I rappel from sand. People think I am crazy. Can't wait to try this so I can say I rappel from water. Oh, the looks on the faces that I expect to see! Haha.

Scott Card
  10. aj.outdoors

aj.outdoors Guest

Interesting. So you attached the webbing directly to the aqua anchor. You haven't had any issues with the water getting stuck, and having to put a lot of force on the aqua anchor? I was being (possibly overly) cautious and was going to attach the pull to the sandtrap, not the water trap...

Thanks for the info!

--- In canyons@yahoogroups.com, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    The two short videos (below on Picasa) may help explain the webbing addition that helps empty the trap, as opposed to what happens at the 1 minute 57 second point of the video, the bit of folding over into 2 segments >
    > Here is the explanation videos. Jenny's addition to her own invention. >
    https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/AguanchorEmpties
  11. aj.outdoors

aj.outdoors Guest

To alleviate these pronunciation difficulties, I'm calling mine the "Water Anchor", which can be shortened to "Wanchor." ;) (But will give all props to the initial creators, as even though my initial/intended design was pretty close to Jenny's, both she and Ram have been very open with their experiences/info. Thanks again!

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "davewyo1" <davewyo1@...> wrote:
    So is the spelling aQuanchor or aGuanchor? > Do I pronounce that "A-Quanker" or "A-Gwanker"? > Or is it supposed to be "Ack-wa-anker" or the spanish "Agua-anker"? > Personally I've been calling it a "Quanker" for short...
    Dave