Send us a suggestion!

News Utah recreational land swap: Corona Arch & Morning Glory Arch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trackrunner, Feb 10, 2014.

1. trackrunner

trackrunner

After years of negotiations, the BLM "will acquire 58 parcels, totaling 25,034 acres, primarily in Grand County and including recreation sites such as Corona Arch and Morning Glory Arch.

The state of Utah will acquire 34 parcels, totaling 35,516 acres and primarily in Uintah County, that have high potential for development."

Approved on Friday. Open to 45 day public comment period.
    more at:
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/57058476-90/exchange-federal-lands-sitla.html.csp
  2. Kuenn

Kuenn

Is this viewed as good news for the recreational community? Traditionally the surrender/trade/confiscation of private land (which technically, as I understand it, this is not a private land trade, confusing) to federal land is not usually favorable, but this sounds like the preferred solution. Just curious, as a complete outsider here.
  3. trackrunner

trackrunner

I guess it depends on who you ask. While public lands, Utah School and Institutional Trust Lands Administration (SITLA) has a different mandate. It tries to maximize revenue from its land holdings through development, leasing, drilling, mining, selling to private property, etc. Trust lands were "granted to the state of Utah by the United States at statehood... Since then, about half of what was originally granted to the state has been sold to private owners." (source: http://trustlands.utah.gov/about/about_utah_trustlands.html).

In the past at times SITLA doesn't like risk/liability . Nutty Putty cave is on SITLA land and after a death in the cave, the entrance was filled with concrete.

Most people will agree these large natural arches or bridges & surrounding lands were more valuable for BLM recreational preservation rather than SITLA development. I do not know about the recreational opportunities of the land traded. Perhaps someone that knows more could chime in. I would imagine SITLA is eager to maximize mineral rights and oil or natural gas drilling from these newly acquired lands.
  4. Kuenn

Kuenn

I visited the Nutty Putty site about 5 months after the fatal accident with one of the rescuers - a very sad story in a variety of ways. That was my first introduction to SITLA property and the related management issues. After what has happened at Corona Arch in the recent past it's understandable why the state would want to be absolved of such liabilities.

Thanks for the clarification.

IMG_2235.JPG
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

Yes, this is a good thing.

Sitla is not in the recreational land management business. They are in the generating cashflow business.

Tom
    Taylor and Sandstone Addiction like this.