Send us a suggestion!

Utah cellular range question

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Rick F, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Rick F

Rick F Guest

I currently have AT&T for the iPhone and iPad but will be getting a new iPad soon and was considering getting a Verizon version if the data network in Utah is as good as the voice network. Ram gets great reception on his phone in many places that I get nothing on AT&T, (mostly if we are in LOS of Navaho Mtn.), but his phone is old school and voice only so no telling if the Verizon data network is as strong. Does anyone have experience with Verizon in southern Utah with there smartphone or tablet?

rick
  2. titanstairs

titanstairs Guest

Verizon has substantially better coverage for the mountains and outlying areas of southern Utah

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Rick F" <rick.fetters@...> wrote:
    I currently have AT&T for the iPhone and iPad but will be getting a new iPad soon and was considering getting a Verizon version if the data network in Utah is as good as the voice network. Ram gets great reception on his phone in many places that I get nothing on AT&T, (mostly if we are in LOS of Navaho Mtn.), but his phone is old school and voice only so no telling if the Verizon data network is as strong. Does anyone have experience with Verizon in southern Utah with there smartphone or tablet?
    rick >
  3. Luke Galyan

Luke Galyan Guest

Same question but for Sprint? Anyone? Luke

Sent from my phone

titanstairs titanstairs@yahoo.com> wrote:

Verizon has substantially better coverage for the mountains and outlying areas of southern Utah
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Rick F" <rick.fetters@...> wrote: >
    > I currently have AT&T for the iPhone and iPad but will be getting a new iPad soon and was considering getting a Verizon version if the data network in Utah is as good as the voice network. Ram gets great reception on his phone in many places that I get nothing on AT&T, (mostly if we are in LOS of Navaho Mtn.), but his phone is old school and voice only so no telling if the Verizon data network is as strong. Does anyone have experience with Verizon in southern Utah with there smartphone or tablet? >
    > rick >
    >
  4. Rick F

Rick F Guest

Is that observation for data coverage as well as voice? I am more interested in data coverage, i.e. email and internet access. Thanks

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "titanstairs" <titanstairs@...> wrote:
    > Verizon has substantially better coverage for the mountains and outlying areas of southern Utah
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Rick F" <rick.fetters@> wrote:

rick
    >
  5. titanstairs

titanstairs Guest

In our experience for both. We use data phones and laptop with data connections and have had much better luck. I had guys working on top of beaver mtn that called me last week. I received emails while hiking to Jolley gulch We have used Nextel, sprint, and Verizon with Verizon hands done having better coverage. I don't believe it is the cheapest but that was not out priority when chosing a provider for work purposes

Is that observation for data coverage as well as voice? I am more interested in data coverage, i.e. email and internet access. Thanks
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "titanstairs" <titanstairs@> wrote:

rick
  6. aj.outdoors

aj.outdoors Guest

Usually data works better than voice, because it will continue to try to send. Uses more battery life though if you aren't in range to send. If you can't hear someone, you eventually get frustrated.

I too have found Verizon to be leaps and bounds better than AT&T. AT&T used to be awesome when it was dual band. When they switched to analog only, it left much to be desired IMHO. I have personally gotten reception at several places that I wouldn't have expected. Specifically, at High Spur and at the mouth of Eardley.

Has given me the opportunity to extend my trips, and work remotely; which is a whole other conversation in itself...

rick
  7. Rick F

Rick F Guest

Thanks for sharing your experience, that is precisely what I was looking for, Verizon iPad it is.

rick

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "aj.outdoors" <ajmail2011@...> wrote:
    Usually data works better than voice, because it will continue to try to send. Uses more battery life though if you aren't in range to send. If you can't hear someone, you eventually get frustrated.
    I too have found Verizon to be leaps and bounds better than AT&T. AT&T used to be awesome when it was dual band. When they switched to analog only, it left much to be desired IMHO. I have personally gotten reception at several places that I wouldn't have expected. Specifically, at High Spur and at the mouth of Eardley.
    Has given me the opportunity to extend my trips, and work remotely; which is a whole other conversation in itself...
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Rick F" <rick.fetters@> wrote:

> Verizon has substantially better coverage for the mountains and outlying areas of southern Utah

rick
  8. aj.outdoors

aj.outdoors Guest

Welcome.

Sorry, after re-reading, I can tell I answered in a hurry. You probably already figured all this out but:

AT&T switched to digital only, not analog only, and that's when they began to suck...

Verizon is who I use, and have been quite pleasantly surprised on where I've gotten signal; including the mouth of Eardley, on High Spur, and most recently on parts of the White Rim...

Enjoy your iPad!

Thanks for sharing your experience, that is precisely what I was looking for, Verizon iPad it is.
    rick
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "aj.outdoors" <ajmail2011@> wrote:

rick

>