Send us a suggestion!

CA: Death Valley Upper Gower Wash

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Ram, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Ram

Ram

The day after Styx was get-a-way day for many. Tom said he wanted more. Mike Cressman to the rescue. He said...."have a new one! Well it may be new. Someone might have done it. Maybe not. Have wanted to check it out for a long time. It might be good. Probably won't be good. Well I hope its good. Wanna?".....How can one say "no" to that? We signed on. Bill Wolverton asked on. How could I resist the opportunity to have him ruin more pictures. I mean the guy never smiles and its worse if he knows I am gonna take a picture. Still like Don Quixote, tilting at windmills, I hope one day to get one......just one picture of him without the scowl. Alas today, would not be that day.

But today would set an all time high for Furnace Creek, just a few air miles away and a bit lower that our route. They would go over 90 degrees that day. We would drench ourselves in sweat, find little shade and totally enjoy the hot day in the mid 80's, in the midst of February. Well....we would until the 2 mile uphill, late in the day, with the sun at our backs.Then not so much.

So with all of that to entice, it doesn't really matter if it turns out to be a good canyon, does it? Well I am OK with it, if it isn't. In that department, we were not disappointed. A dud.... a couple of raps, one awfully awkward one and the other on loose conglomerate rock. But the canyon was......a little story here. We have joked for decades that the surest way to know a canyon is a dud is when someone says....drum roll....."AT LEAST IT'S PRETTY!".....And so it was. But in fact, it was a pretty hike, with an engaging approach and a chockstone cave at the first rap as highlights and also with a colorful landscape to wander through, as the pictures might show. After we finished, we packed up and headed to Utah, with an icy canyon in our sights, to complement the fiery one just completed. Yes I enjoyed myself. You decide if its..."PRETTY" from the pictures.

Cressman....the man, the myth
    [​IMG]

On the Scorpion approach
    [​IMG]

At least its pretty
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With abundant flowers
    [​IMG]

Lunch with a breeze and a view....and Bill cropped out of the picture
    [​IMG]

Yes he carried the bag in his hand almost ALL day
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

OIur little cave. The canyon signature spot
    [​IMG]

My best of the day with Bill
    [​IMG]

Nasty rap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty pretty
    [​IMG]

2nd rap....loose
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• slide.JPG
      Filename:
      slide.JPG
      File size:
      155.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  2. Alane Urban

Alane Urban

In a canyon a couple of years ago, Tom said "Alane, give Bill a kiss so I can get a smile from him". Still no smile. :disagree:

Attached Files:

• Bill.
      Filename:
      Bill.jpg
      File size:
      247.9 KB
      Views:
    Wes1 and Ram like this.
  3. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

looks sort of like the canyon where R2D2 was shot by the Jawas.....
  4. kmanz

kmanz

Curious what that canyon would look like. In January, after a brisk approach I was waiting at the drop in to Vinegaroon eating my sandwich and after 10 minutes went by I realized the rest of the group must've gone the wrong way. I found them in the cave of this canyon stumped as to why there was no anchor at the first drop and if it was a rap. I asked if they wanted to do a first descent, joking (but not really), but we back tracked and went down Vinegaroon.
    Ram and ratagonia like this.
  5. Ram

Ram

Just over the pass, we found a few fairly fresh orange peels, in the cracks. Some prints going both ways too. You did your friends a favor by going to get them ;)