Send us a suggestion!

Other Two weeks of Springdale to Page area canyons

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by RossK, Jan 24, 2017.

1. RossK

RossK

Last Fall I managed to cram in a number of canyons in the Springdale-Page region that have been on my wishlist during about 2 weeks of daily full-day trips when we were blessed with no rain.

Most of these are not really technical so I'm not sure if they earn the right to go on a canyoneering forum, but hey, they are canyons, and there was some 2 person pushing, pulling, captures, stemming and most days we were alone...and it is winter, so apart from the hardiest, fewer people are posting trip reports at the moment.
    So while I can only admire and envy you guys' canyoneering talents, while not a trained professional photographer, hopefully I can offer some nice photos to the forum.

There's no new beta info we can offer except perhaps in Parunuweap a recent storm had wiped out the boulder jam falls between Poverty and Fat Man's, so we had to wade chest high around the left wall of a pool to the left going upriver, which didn't please our bigger guys as they started sinking deeper in the quicksand. With a lower water level it could be easier. No near-disasters or discoveries to report on each canyon individually - the pictures really say it all.

We just came away with lots of cuts and bruises, great memories, and had the pleasure of meeting for the first time Dakota, Walker and Jaxson D, several Red Rock Hiking members, Scott and Steph S, and Tom J and Ram who were all wonderfully helpful and great company dealing with 2 Brits a million miles behind in experience, but I think we kept up with enthusiasm. And it was good to hear we achieved a first experience even for Ram with that night-time rap despite his many years of explorations!
    Rather than lots of individual canyon trip reports I've thrown the lot together in one mix, adding a few non-canyon shots for variety, but even trying to narrow it down to my favourite photos produced around 50, so I'm going to split it into a part 1, with hopefully a part 2 to post soon. (Mud & water deterred me from taking my DSLR camera, just as well as the muck on the compact needed a $100 repair bill, but these places are beautiful enough to not need the "best photographic treatment")

P1110862IMPJPG5P1110862imp5.

P1120057KUYPERBURNDODGEWMresized.

P1120096IMPRESIZEDWM.

P1110911IMPWM.

THUMB_P1120015_1024IMP3thumb_P1120015_1024imp3.

P1120054IMPWM.

P1110870IMP2P1110870imp2.

P1120059IMPWM.

_MG_7058IMPWM.

P1120075IMPWM.

P1120088IMPWM.

P1110887IMPWM.

P111_9040-42pano.

THUMB_P1110994_1024IMPthumb_P1110994_1024imp.

THUMB__MG_7224IMPthumb__MG_7224imp.

P1120139IMPWM.

P1120066IMP2WM.

P1120099IMPWM.

_MG_7164BESTWM.

P1110933IMPP1110933imp.

P1110857IMPP1110857imp.

P1110858IMPP1110858imp.

THUMB_P1120011_1024IMP2WM.

7273,4,6PANOIMPWM.

P1120108IMPMERGED107IMPWM.

Attached Files:

• P1120082IMPWM.
      Filename:
      P1120082IMPWM.jpg
      File size:
      260.6 KB
      Views:
    bhalvers2002, Jenny, Kevin and 5 others like this.
  2. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Most of these are not really technical so I'm not sure if they earn the right to go on a canyoneering forum

Of course they belong here! Nice photos!
    Ram and RossK like this.
  3. Sandstone Addiction

Sandstone Addiction Headed South

Loved the pics! Gives me something to look at besides another 6 inches of snow this morning :facepalm:

Curious...what is hanging down in the middle of this one? Looks like a rope with a stick attached?

P1120075IMPWM.

Attached Files:

• upload_2017-1-24_10-30-7.
      Filename:
      upload_2017-1-24_10-30-7.png
      File size:
      4.1 MB
      Views:
    Ram and RossK like this.
  4. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Awesome set Ross, thanks for sharing!

In regards to Parunaweap - is the waterfall you are mentioning the main obstacle that has been there for years? Are you saying that is gone now? Wow!
    RossK and Ram like this.
  5. Mike

Mike epic blarneys

The waterfall in question:

P1060968.JPG
    RossK and Ram like this.
  6. The Dread Pirate Roberts

The Dread Pirate Roberts

RossK and Ram like this.
  7. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Interesting. It looks like it has rearranged a bit and created a sieve or strainer now? Did you guy just downclimb it over the top of the wood or did you climb up and into the chimney on river left?

The main choke looks the same in your videos from below, but the view from on top is puzzling, looks like there is a civ now draining behind the two big boulders.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    Ram likes this.
  8. RossK

RossK

Yes, I've wondered that after noticing it this week looking at them. We certainly didn't put it there or use it. And I can't believe I didn't notice it at the time, but it's probably higher above our heads than it looks and I was busy looking down to see how deep Richard sank as he described sliipperiness, soft mud, rocks underfoot. I've a feeling I chimney over after without going in the water so was looking at the wall at my height. I will ask the other 2 and report back. Perhaps someone who knows the canyon well dipped it down from the rim to try and test how much water there was? But they misjudged their rope
    Ram likes this.
  9. RossK

RossK

Thanks Dan. Praise indeed from someone who takes such amazing photos.

Yes, the one that's been there a long time. I'd never gone down that far before but from what I've read over the years it had got a bit harder to scramble over over the years, but then it was rearranged big time in about Sept last year. I think people were able to go under some rocks at one time? Anyway, it's not wiped out completely in the sense there's no blockage and it's just river, so I probably shouldn't have used that term, but it's massively rearranged it according to someone whose been doing it for years. I am struggling a bit to remember, but I know there was no way up or under the boulders (certainly not on the south wall as before) going upriver. I think going upriver it was a wall of rocks with one ferocious bit of river breaking through, so we went round a pool on the left (north) side. Don't think Nick Smith will mind me posting this pic he took from the east (upper river side) as he posted it elsewhere - it doesn't capture the overall scene, but to someone who's done it often you'll get the difference. He also posted a video on his FB page but that focuses on a small section again rather than the whole scene.

Apparently there was also a big rockfall last year also just before the arches bit near the bottom of Fat Man's. I'd never been before, but whatever had changed, it seemed pretty easy to get down and no big or awkward rappels
    15194515_10154794954113966_7448048920499539667_o.
    Jenny and Ram like this.
  10. Ram

Ram

Ross

It was a joy to spend a couple of days with you. Of course this belongs here. The pictures are wonderful too. Really special. As to the hanging rope, I wonder if it is some trash hanging from a chockstone, brought there by some flood? Seen similar before.

As to the 1st lifetime rap after or in the dark....yes that was true. It offered several other first's too.
    First rap INTO a canyon at night....We were trying to get up the other side
    First night time rap with a sandtrap
    First time EVER rapping off a sandtrap going last, when the trap failed on the last two who went before me.
    Last time for any of those, going forward....hopefully:timebomb:
    Jenny, ratagonia, RossK and 1 other person like this.
  11. Taylor

Taylor

Fantastic Ross!
    RossK likes this.
  12. RossK

RossK

Nice videos. God, my memory is playing tricks on me! We were quite a bit deeper than you guys only up to your knees. We did go after a lot of rain though and someone advised us against going down to Labyrinth as they said we'd get very tired with the deeper, faster than average flow walking back up against it and then going on to the French Canyon exit.
    @Dan Ransom - it wasn't difficult going up these other falls in terms of any climbing. It's just it was waist/chest deep and the first person said they were sinking in the mud. Not really sure why we didn't therefore just jump in and swim! I think our wetsuits were off by then, we were cold, and our stuff wasn't drybagged any more. I'm going to ask the others now about the falls!
  13. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Crazy. The standard way to bypass that falls is to climb out of the river bottom on the river left, up about 40 or 50 feet, and then sneak into a little rabbit hole that goes behind the massive boulder that is leaning up on the left canyon wall. (I drew this red arrow really quickly, hard to say in the video but you might be able to get up there one little fault earlier too, like 20 yards upstream.)

After you go down the elevator you pop out about 30 feet past the falls on canyon left.

Where is that massive logjam from? That is wild!

upload_2017-1-24_18-35-49.
    Ram and Jenny like this.
  14. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Ram likes this.
  15. The Dread Pirate Roberts

The Dread Pirate Roberts

Yes it is sieve now. It is really cool to see the water just disappear like it's going into the ground. You can see in the second video (from below) that there is a bolder that we were able to easily climb down and back up. Not much of an obstacle any more. The large bolder just up river from here we had to go around and that was the deepest water we encountered the whole trip. It was about chest deep.
    Ram and RossK like this.
  16. RossK

RossK

I'm starting to question my memory! I said like you it was now easy to climb up to get past the falls but I thought we waded chest deep first. But after seeing your knee deep video and you saying there was a chest deep pool just upriver maybe that was the pool we waded I.e. Just above the falls and not just below

I recall some concern that the falls rock tunnel had gone but then finding an easy alternative and some concern at a new deep pool we hadn't anticipated as we wanted to get out French before dark in one short October day. How many days was your trip. Did you take any pics below Powell plaque. Just before the plaque are nice narrows. I wondered if they got better still
    Ram likes this.
  17. The Dread Pirate Roberts

The Dread Pirate Roberts

We came down Rock Canyon, spent one night at the saddle above Fat Man's, and then exited up French. We didn't go past the Powell plaque due to tired legs and waning light. It was a really fun trip.