Send us a suggestion!

Trip Report - Pine Creek 10/24/2009

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Bryan, Oct 26, 2009.

  1. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    Took a group of 10 through Pine Creek yesterday (6 scouts, 4 leaders). Did it about three weeks ago in a shorty and was perfectly warm but there were only four of us then. This time, we all had full wet suits since we knew it would take longer, being a larger group. All participants were experienced but for one of the scouts, 10ft was his highest prior to yesterdays trip and he was scared of heights. He was very scared at the first stage of the first rap, almost in tears but we were able to talk him through it and once over the first ledge, he was golden and had an excellent time the rest of the day. On the trip up, I was showing him pictures of Pine Creek from TJ's website and he was freaking out! Water was cold but the full wet suit was too much for me. I didn't like being that hot and wished I was in my shorty again. I'm short so the pool at the bottom of rap 3 was a swimmer for me. Attempting to be funny, I showed the scouts my swimming techniques in the pool below rap 3 with demonstration of the breast stroke, back stroke, butterfly and even the dog paddle. I got quite a few laughs. At the top of rap 3, if you look up above, there is a log about 10 to 15 feet up and it was wrapped with accessory cord and a rappel ring. I didn't notice this anchor before, has it been there for a while? Why would anyone need to anchor from that log way up there when it would be pretty dangerous getting up to the anchor to set the rope and only using 6mm cord? Spent some time swimming and jumping into some of the deep pools on the hike out, water was cold but felt good. Found a nice large pool (at least 8ft deep) and got some good video of the guys jumping/flipping into the pools. It was a great trip and we were up at the 2nd switch back in about 3 hours 50 mins. Ran into a group of two girls who hung out with us but besides that, didn't see another person even though all the express permits had been taken for the day.

    Bryan
  2. All:



    This raises an interesting question. Where's the best place to "show the ropes" to kids in rappelling in your experience before they embark on a real adventure? The best candidates probably should be:



    * Be relatively short drops.

    * Close to some type of civilization.

    * Have good and obvious anchors.

    * Not have too awkward of starts.



    Thoughts?







  3. RAM

    RAM Guest

    Where do you and the scouts live? R

    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Brent Hawkins" <bhawkins@...> wrote:
    All:

    This raises an interesting question. Where's the best place to "show the > ropes" to kids in rappelling in your experience before they embark on a > real adventure? The best candidates probably should be:

    * Be relatively short drops.
    * Close to some type of civilization.
    * Have good and obvious anchors.
    * Not have too awkward of starts.

    Thoughts?



    >
  4. RAM

    RAM Guest

    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Bryan" <bryanoroarke@...> wrote: Water was cold

    Thanks for the conditions report!

    At the top of rap 3, if you look up above, there is a log about 10 to 15 feet up and it was wrapped with accessory cord and a rappel ring. I didn't notice this anchor before, has it been there for a while? Why would anyone need to anchor from that log way up there when it would be pretty dangerous getting up to the anchor to set the rope and only using 6mm cord?

    Is this the rap above the Cathedral? If so, there has been webbing and sling up there in the past. Same webbing? That I can't say. The canyon does have some history of changes. A rap off a log exisited for years, relatively soon after the Cathedral pool. It was gone last I was there. Also, before the canyon opens up is a big boulder. Fixed anchors are on the top, along the right wall, looking down canyon. When the debris fills in, in front of the boulder, that rap station is used. When a hole exists that can be crawled down and through or when there is no debris, this spot is high, dry and inaccessible. Lots of history of the last rap being changable too, with the original anchors gone. That area is a "false bottom" (no solid ground all the way under)and subject to change, although it appears the time frame between change may be long. YMMV. Fun stuff! Thanks for the update and glad the kids had a ball!! R
  5. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    We are from Las Vegas. There is a park that has a 10ft concrete retaining wall that drops down into a sandbox that we use to teach our brand new scouts on. At the top of the wall are two trees and a park bench which gives us plenty of options to anchor. It's a great spot to teach since it's high enough that they are nervous going over the edge but is only three mins. from my house. We make sure all boys know what they are doing and have the correct technique before we take them out on a real rock.

    Bryan





    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    Where do you and the scouts live? > R
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Brent Hawkins" <bhawkins@> wrote:

    All:



    This raises an interesting question. Where's the best place to "show the
    ropes" to kids in rappelling in your experience before they embark on a
    real adventure? The best candidates probably should be:



    * Be relatively short drops.

    * Close to some type of civilization.

    * Have good and obvious anchors.

    * Not have too awkward of starts.



    Thoughts?








    >
  6. Kerry

    Kerry Guest


    This raises an interesting question. Where's the best place to "show the > ropes" to kids in rappelling in your experience before they embark on a > real adventure? The best candidates probably should be:


    I usually take them first to a local rec center with climbing wall, for their first experience. After that, (living in Salt Lake City) we go up one of the east side canyons (typically Big Cottonwood) and practice one a few short walls there.

    Then, for an "out in the field" experience, I have typically tried them out with Fry Canyon and/or Black Hole. (I have had a boy "freak" with the swimming part of Black Hole before. Takes some compasion and patience to take them through, but once they gain the confidence they did not realize they had inside them, its no stopping them thereafter).

    Kerry
  7. restrac2000

    restrac2000 Guest

    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Bryan" <bryanoroarke@...> wrote:
    We are from Las Vegas. There is a park that has a 10ft concrete retaining wall that drops down into a sandbox that we use to teach our brand new scouts on. At the top of the wall are two trees and a park bench which gives us plenty of options to anchor. It's a great spot to teach since it's high enough that they are nervous going over the edge but is only three mins. from my house. We make sure all boys know what they are doing and have the correct technique before we take them out on a real rock.
    Bryan >

    If you are looking for something close to Zion NP than you may want to consider either Red Cliffs Recreation Area, near the campsite, or Green Valley Gap. Green Valley has climbs/rappels of various lengths and anchors at top, but you can't camp there. Red Cliffs has rappels, though they are harder to find, as well as a campground and waterfall with pool at the bottom for swimming during the summer.

    Both offer options.

    Phillip
  8. TomJones

    TomJones Guest

    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Bryan" <bryanoroarke@...> wrote:
    At the top of rap 3, if you look up above, there is a log about 10 to 15 feet up and it was wrapped with accessory cord and a rappel ring. I didn't notice this anchor before, has it been there for a while? Why would anyone need to anchor from that log way up there when it would be pretty dangerous getting up to the anchor to set the rope and only using 6mm cord?
    Bryan >

    While FEW have completed a flowing-conditions Pine Creek descent, those that get that far likely find the downclimb and rap directly in the watercourse a little much; so I suspect that the anchor up there (which appears and disappears regularly) is the "high water" anchor, and if the water is too high, is also the anchor for the Cathedral Rappel.
Similar Threads: Trip Report
Forum Title Date
Trip Reports Trip Report from Maui Adventure Oct 5, 2021
Trip Reports Jolley Gulch 3-23-2021 Trip Report and new bolt anchor added Mar 24, 2021
Trip Reports Blast from the Past Trip Report Mar 6, 2021
General Discussion Most ridiculous trip report ever? May 15, 2020
Trip Reports X-Fest 2019: PINTAC and DDI Trip Report Nov 15, 2019
General Discussion Issues With Trip Reports Sep 30, 2019