Send us a suggestion!

Trip Report - a swell time in the Swell - July 2017

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by jmack, Jul 21, 2017.

1. jmack

jmack

Some like it hot. I am one of those people, so last week I headed out to the Swell for some canyons, along with my sister and her husband. They are relatively new to the sport so we stuck to easier canyons that I had been through before. First up, on July 13th, was Zero Gravity. It was pretty dry. Had one or two high wading/swimming spots. Still lots of fun though and now there’s a shiny new bolt at the bomb bay. Maybe a remnant from the recent S&R extraction?

Friday July 14th was Knotted Rope/Miner’s Hollow. I spooked a big horn sheep as I came around the corner into the top of Quandary from the switchback, which was pretty cool. We had a blast in the canyon. Water levels seemed low, but none of the potholes were too tricky to escape. We did a bunch of meat anchoring/partner assists/slides/splashes. Swam in a couple spots, but didn’t need a wetsuit. The stealth rubber came in handy circumventing the endless potholes near the end. Muddy Creek was the muddiest I’ve ever seen it. Ankle deep and thick as paint. Made it back to the airstrip just in time for a half hour thunderstorm that reminded me that I need a new tent.

Saturday July 15th we went through Baptist & Chute canyons, and out the fault line exit. Last time I did this we went up Chute canyon, so it was fun to see some new terrain. The previous day’s rain had apparently hit Chute as well, as there was a lot of mud and a little bit of water in Chute – just enough to make it interesting. Was fun to slip and slide in the mud and lay down some fresh tracks. There was more scrambling than I anticipated, but it was all pretty harmless stuff. As we were exiting the side canyon, the clouds came in and started raining on us for the final 1/3rd of the exit. It was a welcome relief from the 100 degree heat, but also a reminder of the importance of getting early starts during the summer months.

At that point we decided that we had dodged enough thunderstorms, so we bailed on the narrow stuff and headed over to Arches for our last day. All in all, we had a great trip.
  2. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

It was pretty dry. Had one or two high wading/swimming spots.

How was the keeper pothole?
  3. Ross Platt

Ross Platt

x2 for the keeper pothole
  4. jmack

jmack

The one in Zero Gravity? It had about 3 feet of water. For reference, this guy is 6'6":

IMG_20170713_194753499.

IMG_20170713_194753499.
  5. Ross Platt

Ross Platt

jmack likes this.
  6. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

Thanks for the report, mack!
    jmack likes this.
  7. Mark Grammer

Mark Grammer

We did Zero Gravity in June and somehow overlooked the difficulty of Zero G's pothole. Eventually we realized it wasn't too bad of a climb out, but also realized it could be dangerous in certain conditions. Does anyone have a bad experience with this one? Is it dangerous at high / medium levels?
    Ronnie Winn likes this.