Send us a suggestion!

News Trashing the wilderness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Patterson, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

This really doesn't pertain to a canyon specifically (feel free to moderate if any moderators feel this post in inappropriate), but this kind of things really makes me mad (especially since I was going to take my family there this weekend).

Apparently a commercial group of about 55 people from Camp Gladiator camped three days at Willow Lake in the Sangre de Christo Wilderness (max group size is supposed to be 15).

Report is that they didn't bury and feces and crapped right next to the stream in addition to leaving a huge amount of toilet paper all over the place.

Some comments from other hikers that were trying to visit the area. Each comment is from a different group or individual that was unlucky enough to meet the Camp Gladiator group.

This group was not burying human waste. To put it nicely, I find this to be very disrespectful to nature and other Willow Lake campers.
    ----------------------
    Our group happened upon that horrid mess too... Ick! [​IMG]
    -----------------------
    My wife (Sarah) and I had the inconvenience of camping directly below that group on Friday night, and the conditions were appalling. The smell wafting through our camp site was foul. I took photos of the mess, including bare feces within 12-inches of running water in Willow Creek. I tried warning those camping below the mess to filter water upstream.
    ----------------------
    I confronted several people in their group about the gross neglect on their part. One person, whom I suspect was one of the guides/organizers (but who told me they were not part of an organized group, which is a lie), said he would talk with the people in the group about the issue. Another person, whom I happened to catch in the act, retorted angrily that toilet paper and feces are biodegradable and that I should mind my own business.
    ----------------------
    I too was a witness to the disgusting aftermath of this behavior this weekend. I stumbled upon a huge pile of s**t and toilet paper while trying to find a good campsite. If it had only been a few pieces, I would have packed it out with my own... However, there were literally hundreds of pieces of toilet paper, and it would have filed my whole backpack :-& I had never experienced anything like that and it truly pissed me off. I talked to one of them briefly while I was heading up to Willow Lake and they were heading down. They tried to convince me to join their group... [​IMG]
    ----------------------
    The largest mess was below the waterfall which exits the bottom of the lake. There is a fairly large, open meadow on the south side of the trail and north side of Willow Creek. The group was camped in this meadow, and their primary defecation point was just down stream of the meadow and about 10-feet north of Willow Creek. However, this was NOT the only location of toilet paper and unburied feces. I think the primary defecation point became so vile that they started dispersing to other areas. Upon returning to camp after hiking all day on Saturday, we even found a fresh deposit just a few feet from our tent.
    ----------------------
    Keep in mind that we're talking about ~50 people who were in the area for 3 days. That's roughly 150 exposed piles of feces with accompanying toilet paper. Add to this the toilet paper from each time a female urinated.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is their video of the trip:

http://cglive.tv/cg-adventures/mountain ... re-part-1/

Some of their quotes from some videos:

"Look at all DESE tents. CG Nation taking over the mountain"
    "whoooos mountain? CG Mountain!"

*"We decided to take 55 people in a charter bus from Austin, TX to Lake City, CO and we're climbing two of Colorado's most prominent 14ers.
    So we've got people sprawled out.
    There's probably room for 10 tents and we've got 30.
    Um, probably room for about 15 people and we've got 55,
    but that's how we do things CG-style."

(edit, adding source) -- CG Co-Founder Jeff Davidson

Also, they have done this for at least four years in a row now, and the videos are all pretty similar.

Entire thread on 14ers.com in case anyone wants to read:

http://14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t ... 51#p499151
  2. EvergreenDean

EvergreenDean OK with what happens

This is awful. I am brainstorming how to deal with these folks. This will not go unpunished.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

Who is the land manager? National Forest? Sounds like they have provided plenty of evidence for prosecution. Alerting the authorities promptly would allow them to collect more evidence.

When people break the law, call the cops.

Tom
    Mountaineer likes this.
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Yes, national forest and they have been contacted (they even joined the forum to tune in) and there is plenty of evidence on their own website and videos.
  5. Rick Demarest

Rick Demarest

6. EvergreenDean

EvergreenDean OK with what happens

Tom, not sure why this is never the FIRST thing I think of. Thanks for reporting them Scott. I may call to get in the loop and voice my disgust and anger too.
  7. mattwilliams

mattwilliams

Hmmm, we were actually also planning to go camp at Willow lake this weekend and climb. Maybe we should rethink it if there is crap and TP everywhere. Scott, are you still going?
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

Bring rubber gloves and sturdy trash bags.

Tom
  9. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

It was actually next week, rather than this weekend that we were planning on going.

I think we may go somewhere else (if it were just me; I'd probably go, but probably not with the wife and kids), but if you go and can report back on conditions, it would be appreciated!
  10. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

Scott,

Thanks for posting this. I noticed Bill locked the thread on 14ers.
    Very sad to hear about this and things like it.
  11. Ram

Ram

Big sigh! Educate them, AFTER the crucifixion.
  12. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

Bill (site admin of 14ers) posted a response from Camp Gladiator. After watching their video and comparing it to the letter, there is a lot of blame deflection and outright lying going on by them. Their founder, Ally Davidson, comes from American Gladiator (seriously)
  13. mattwilliams

mattwilliams

We opted for the Crestones instead of Pooville. The Gladiators haven't made it up there yet so if you haven't been it is a great place. Cottonwood approach was much less crowded.
  14. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

It may not be too much of a stretch to imagine Camp Gladiator, or some group like it, doing a similar thing to a canyon area as they have done to the mountains. As canyoneering gets more "on the radar" of everyone, it becomes more likely that groups such as this will look to exploit canyons as they have mountains.
  15. rickinlo

rickinlo

I believe the group you're imagining is called "Boy Scouts of America"
    Deagol and MrAdam like this.