Send us a suggestion!

Trash in Zion - end of Riverside Walk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ratagonia, Jul 11, 2018.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

It has become a tradition for "hikers" to leave stuff they no longer want at the end of the Riverside Walk in Zion, where the Narrows ends. Shoes, shirts, water bottles, socks, shorts, more shoes...

I think that once a small pile accumulates then subsequent visitors think this is OK. It is not OK.

If you are doing a canyon that ends up hiking out the Narrows (Mystery, Orderville, Not Imlay, Imlay, The Narrows, Checkerboard, Mountain of Mystery Canyon) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have some space in your pack and carry out as much of this trash as you can manage. No, people are not coming back to get it. No, it is not a contribution to the welfare of others. It is trash pure and simple. Here is what I had room for yesterday:

image1.
  2. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Uhh...what size are them shoes?

I wear a 46 in La Sportiva.

I've nearly worn out a pair of shoes I found at the parking lot for the Subway a couple years ago. New Balance with mesh. Been great fishing shoes. Thanks somebody!

Thanks for the clean up, Tom. I try to do the same.
    Rapterman likes this.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

The Sportivas were actually 95% worn out. Those I considered cleaning up and passing on to someone. Size 12 or 12-1/2, too big for me.

The rest... except for the rental Canyoneer3s, into the trash.

T
  4. ScottM

ScottM Looking for a canyon, you got one?

Wow! Seems the tourists are becoming less discriminate. Historically, items left behind which I've hauled out could only be found at the Hurr'can Wal*Mart!

Excellent message Tom! Now if we could only eliminate the empty water bottles and fruit peels!
    Rapterman likes this.
  5. GravityWins

GravityWins

Not all tourists are evil, some of them know enough to clap an cheer as we touch down in the narrows from our various canyons.....

Personally, I'd donate a few extra bucks on every zion canyon trip if it resulted in a permanent ranger at the riverside. I'd donate twice as much if the ranger were encouraged to use public shaming and mild violence on adults who should know better.
    Jman likes this.