Send us a suggestion!

Transportation frustration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Big Bang, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Big Bang

Big Bang

Months ago, I had gotten a Subway (our first canyon, woohoo!) permit for Saturday 11/1, and had arranged with a friend for a transfer. Unfortunately, there's a 60% chance of rain Saturday. In a last-ditch effort to salvage my Nevada Day holiday, I was hoping to win a last minute permit for Friday 10/31. But I can't find transportation!

I'd have to pick up my permit when the Wilderness Desk opens at 8am. ZAC shuttle leaves at 7am. Zion Outfitters shuttle leaves at 9:30... but has a 4 person minimum, we are a party of two. Any other options? Anyone have a permit for Friday, that needs a 2nd vehicle, and doesn't mind noobs?
  2. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Most people hiking the Subway just hitch hike it, but sometimes it's easier to catch a ride before you do the canyon rather than after, especially if you are muddy and wet.
  3. Big Bang

Big Bang

Are there enough people on that road this time of year, that hitching a ride is likely?

Tom's Subway route description indicates that hitch hiking is common. But I had imagined that most people on that road first thing in the morning would also be looking for a ride.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Most people on that road in the early morning know what is going on, and pick people up, even if they normally would not.

Halloween morning - could be a little late in the year for traffic, but I think it would still work. Friday is a weekend day in Utah. Just get as early a start as possible...

Tom
  5. 2065toyota

2065toyota

ZAC and others offer shuttle services
    Budget rents cars for $29/day
    Hitching is free, but is random. I've waited for over an hour before to get a ride places
  6. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

I have found that if I show a little skin, I get picked up much faster when hitching..
    EvergreenDean and Mike Zampino like this.
  7. skunkteeth

skunkteeth

Try to sign up for the Zion express permit next time you are at the back country desk. It takes 15 minutes or so and is good for 3 years. It lets you print your permits at home up to 3 days in advance.
    ratagonia likes this.
  8. Kuenn

Kuenn

If you do go the Zion Express route, make sure you sign-on as express member when you get the reservation, otherwise you can't print the permit later. (Experience talking.)
    Sandstone Addiction and Cameron like this.
  9. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

You must be prettier than me, I find I have the opposite reaction when showing a little skin. :vomit:
    ratagonia and Deagol like this.
  10. Stephanie

Stephanie

You should've seen his Halloween costume. I'd pick him up in a hot second...
  11. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Woof!
    Deagol likes this.
  12. Kuenn

Kuenn

For those of us not eye candy like Deagol :woot:, would laying down Jazz work the same?

Hey, whaddya say Rufus, "lay some skin on me, scat-cat." (tag)

Skins player - the drummer. (When cowhide or other animal skin was used to make drum heads.)

Or maybe some Zeppelin.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  13. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

OK, I think it's time to close this thread .....:blush:
  14. Mike Zampino

Mike Zampino Canyon season never ends.

I usually offer some cash to the driver. The amount depends on the number of us they are driving, the distiance being driven, and if they had to go out of their way.
  15. Big Bang

Big Bang

Follow up: Zion Adventure Company came through after all, giving us a lift to Wildcat TH on their way back into town.

It was a sweet trip. Navigating based off cairns, compass and route description was done without incident. The actual canyon was really fun! Not sure why there's a bolt at the entrance to the bowling ball corridor, as that was more easily down-climbed than the previous down-climb spots. Due to the water level, we had to go up and over the bowling ball/log, which was easily done thanks to some hand lines people had left behind. The actual subway portion made the days effort worth it. I had seen many many photos of the subway, and assumed some liberties were taken to make the colors so vibrant and vivid. Not so. It was exactly as beautiful as in the photos. Perhaps this time of year is ideal lighting? We had underestimated the effort required in hiking out. Had thought it'd be straight forward, like hiking the narrows. But there was constant river crossings and rock hopping, which wore on our legs, before the scramble out. But we finished, very tired, with plenty of day light left.

My wife and I became interested in canyoning, not because we're adrenaline junkies, but because we appreciate the beauty of the Southwest, and wish to visit amazing places, sans bus-loads of obnoxious and noisy tourists. The Subway was our first off-trail excursion, and it has cemented our love of the area, and we look forward to more canyons in 2015.

Skunkteeth, thanks for the express permit suggestion. That will make our future planning a little easier.
    Subway.JPG North Pole.JPG Last rap.JPG
    Kuenn, Tyler Ley and Mountaineer like this.
  16. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Not sure why there's a bolt at the entrance to the bowling ball corridor, as that was more easily down-climbed than the previous down-climb spots.

It could be because of the sand in there now. I've downclimbed it before, and it can be really tricky, but since there is lot of sand in the canyon, it might make it easier. Usually there isn't as much sand in the canyon as there is now.
  17. ratagonia

ratagonia

That, and the downclimb LOOKS harder than it actually is. Lots of low-skill people do the Subway - there is a propensity to have easy-to-find-and-use anchors in there.

Tom
  18. Mike Zampino

Mike Zampino Canyon season never ends.

Get used to it if you plan on doing more canyons. Subway (although sort of long) I felt is one of the easier exits. Especially as you stray away from Zion. YMMV

The colors were amazing in April too.