Send us a suggestion!

TR: Spanish Coolade Part 3

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by John Hart, Nov 21, 2004.

1. John Hart

John Hart Guest

Here are some pictures, and a few stories, from August in the Spanish and French Pyrenees.

http://www.crystalcanyons.net/Pages/2D/tripreports.shtm

and click on the NEW links. Some real nice stuff over there.

John Hart

1280 x 1024 screen and a healthy internet connection recommended.
  2. Koen

Koen Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "John Hart" <hart@t...> wrote:
    Here are some pictures, and a few stories, from August in the Spanish > and French Pyrenees. >

John, did those guys you met actually descend the whole of the Lalarri or part of it ? Because a few weeks afterwards some friends of mine found the remains of a Polish mountaineer in there - the poor guy had gone missing beginning of august...

We were at the point of doing it just a few days before them but bailed because we were too tired - I guess you and I both were lucky to bail...

Koen
  3. Hank Moon

Hank Moon Guest

Here are some pictures, and a few stories, from August in the Spanish > and French Pyrenees.

John

Thanks a LOT for creating such a detailed travelogue. And...quite a shutterfinger you got there...absolutely beautiful...Spain's gotta be my next canyoning destination.
  4. John Hart

John Hart Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Koen" <pocoloco@s...> wrote:
    John, did those guys you met actually descend the whole of the > Lalarri or part of it ? > Because a few weeks afterwards some friends of mine found > the remains of a Polish mountaineer in there - the poor guy had > gone missing beginning of august... >

Well they were at the bottom. How they got there (i.e. whole canyon or not) kinda escaped my powers of translation.....

Seems like a dangerous place..

John
  5. Koen

Koen Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Koen" <pocoloco@s...> wrote:

John, did those guys you met actually descend the whole of the
    Lalarri or part of it ?
    Because a few weeks afterwards some friends of mine found
    the remains of a Polish mountaineer in there - the poor guy had
    gone missing beginning of august...

Well they were at the bottom. How they got there (i.e. whole canyon > or not) kinda escaped my powers of translation.....
    Seems like a dangerous place.. >

It is, depending on the water levels.

But the poor guy probably didn't end up in the canyon on purpose, his plan was to go to a summit near it. Maybe he tried crossing it as a shortcut, slipped, fell in... Nobody will probably ever know, rescue squads combed the entire region for weeks after his dissapearance but eventually gave up. They surveyed the canyon from the sides because the water levels were too high (end of july) to properly descend it.

They said they looked at the spot were he was eventually found but by then the water levels had dropped and part of the body was apparently out of the water... after 6 weeks or so... that's why I said I'm glad I didn't go down the canyon a bit earlier - I don't know if I've got the stomach for such a thing...

Koen