Send us a suggestion!

TR- Ouray- Corbett and Oak Creek

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by RAM, Aug 23, 2011.

1. RAM

RAM Guest

I owed my daughter Amy some adventure time, as her brother and I had gotten after it for most of July, in the Sierra. The ACA was having a rendezvous. Other friends were having their fest called Stocko-brocko. I had gone the year before and stuck my toes in the high alpine canyon water and decided..."It was good!" I had missed the opportunity to explore these canyons. Mr. Dallin and others had invited me, but the North Cascades owned me in summer. I regret not carving some time for that. Kudos to Mike, Charley and the team who found adventure and then shared it with the rest of us.

Where else can you do a canyon for 7 hours or so, then dine out in a fine resort town, sipping some suds if you like? Or soak in any of 3 hot springs? Or cruise the town or the awesome campground above town, jumping from one social gathering of friends to another social gathering of friends? You can even grab a high peak or a multi pitch rock climb if it suits you. Yes, the Ouray canyon experience is first rate.

Clint Poole and I have chatted over the years and promised each other a canyon day or so, to get to know each other better. It happened this week. Clint, Mike, Mark and Tommy allowed Amy and I to join them and we had a wonderful time. We found them to be high spirited, highly skilled, with a knack of sliding into whatever support role needed filling. After one day with them, Amy and I nearly begged them to have us along the next day.

The canyons were wonderful. Corbett took most of the day. We did all three sections of Oak in about 8 hours. Highly recommended, although one would want to do other canyons first before doing the more challenging Corbett. These were Amy's first C canyons and she loved it. Being around 4 attractive and youthful males didn't hurt either. ;-). You spend a few days like this with people and special bonds are the result, when you are lucky. So it was for us.

As it approaches the 10th anniversary of my first ACA rendezvous (Cedar Mesa, October 2001) I would like to say thank you. For the wonderful collection of friends and partners made. The new skills learned from diverse sources. The pool of people ready to go and adventure, any time of year. These wonderful additions to my life have enhanced the quality of my life, not just a little, but a lot. While I don't always agree with the stances and direction of the ACA, I must thank Rich, Charly and others, for the wonderful impact it has had on my life. And a thanks too, to the many people out there I now count as friends.

Pictures?

https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/CorbettAndOakCreek817th18th2011
  2. Ram you are right about those AZ boys. I have watched them mature into some skilled and entertaining partners. Good thing you tagged along as protector for Amy as the AZ boys are also known for their charming demeanor.

----- Original Message ----- From: "RAM" adkramoo@aol.com> To: Yahoo Canyons Group Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:33:17 PM Subject: [from Canyons Group] TR- Ouray- Corbett and Oak Creek

I owed my daughter Amy some adventure time, as her brother and I had gotten after it for most of July, in the Sierra. The ACA was having a rendezvous. Other friends were having their fest called Stocko-brocko. I had gone the year before and stuck my toes in the high alpine canyon water and decided..."It was good!" I had missed the opportunity to explore these canyons. Mr. Dallin and others had invited me, but the North Cascades owned me in summer. I regret not carving some time for that. Kudos to Mike, Charley and the team who found adventure and then shared it with the rest of us.

Where else can you do a canyon for 7 hours or so, then dine out in a fine resort town, sipping some suds if you like? Or soak in any of 3 hot springs? Or cruise the town or the awesome campground above town, jumping from one social gathering of friends to another social gathering of friends? You can even grab a high peak or a multi pitch rock climb if it suits you. Yes, the Ouray canyon experience is first rate.

Clint Poole and I have chatted over the years and promised each other a canyon day or so, to get to know each other better. It happened this week. Clint, Mike, Mark and Tommy allowed Amy and I to join them and we had a wonderful time. We found them to be high spirited, highly skilled, with a knack of sliding into whatever support role needed filling. After one day with them, Amy and I nearly begged them to have us along the next day.

The canyons were wonderful. Corbett took most of the day. We did all three sections of Oak in about 8 hours. Highly recommended, although one would want to do other canyons first before doing the more challenging Corbett. These were Amy's first C canyons and she loved it. Being around 4 attractive and youthful males didn't hurt either. ;-). You spend a few days like this with people and special bonds are the result, when you are lucky. So it was for us.

As it approaches the 10th anniversary of my first ACA rendezvous (Cedar Mesa, October 2001) I would like to say thank you. For the wonderful collection of friends and partners made. The new skills learned from diverse sources. The pool of people ready to go and adventure, any time of year. These wonderful additions to my life have enhanced the quality of my life, not just a little, but a lot. While I don't always agree with the stances and direction of the ACA, I must thank Rich, Charly and others, for the wonderful impact it has had on my life. And a thanks too, to the many people out there I now count as friends.

Pictures?

3. RAM

RAM Guest

Dave, the girl can handle herself, trust me! Heaven help the lad who lands her some time in the future....far into the future. ;-) Your Flatlanders were represented at the Fest too. We had dinner with Sharon and Jordan (Italian) and she gave us her campsite, as she had to leave super early the next day. Alas no canyon with them, but she was recruiting hard for Tom, Jenny and I to join another Flatlander trip next spring. ;-)

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, jabridaka@... wrote:
    Ram you are right about those AZ boys. I have watched them mature into some skilled and entertaining partners. Good thing you tagged along as protector for Amy as the AZ boys are also known for their charming demeanor.
    ----- Original Message ----- > From: "RAM" <adkramoo@...
    To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:33:17 PM > Subject: [from Canyons Group] TR- Ouray- Corbett and Oak Creek

> I owed my daughter Amy some adventure time, as her brother and I had gotten after it for most of July, in the Sierra. The ACA was having a rendezvous. Other friends were having their fest called Stocko-brocko. I had gone the year before and stuck my toes in the high alpine canyon water and decided..."It was good!" I had missed the opportunity to explore these canyons. Mr. Dallin and others had invited me, but the North Cascades owned me in summer. I regret not carving some time for that. Kudos to Mike, Charley and the team who found adventure and then shared it with the rest of us.
    Pictures?
    <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/CorbettAndOakCreek817th18th2011">https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/CorbettAndOakCreek817th18th2011</a

>
  4. Nice - Amy rocks!  The kids seem to be excelling in these Class C canyons.  The pictures are incredibly action packed.  

Imlay Canyon Gear seems to be the gear of choice.  

Thanks for sharing Ram.  

Felicia

________________________________ From: RAM adkramoo@aol.com> To: Yahoo Canyons Group Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:33 PM Subject: [from Canyons Group] TR- Ouray- Corbett and Oak Creek

Pictures?

---

When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier.  You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale.  Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:

Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?

To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save Changes&amp;amp;quot;.

WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you must visit the web site to view messages. Groups Links
  5. Mark

Mark Guest

It was a fun week in Ouray as the AZ crew joined up with Ram, Amy and Steve for a couple canyon trips. We've been working the Mazatzal and Sierra Ancha Range canyons here most of the year, but there comes a time when you just need to escape the heat!

The town of Ouray was welcoming as always and provided a great setting for evening retreats. Relaxation at its best.

Ram, we certainly learned quite a bit from you. It would be great to get out again, perhaps in AZ or Lake Powell, or wherever, honestly...

Links to couple albums below:

Main Fork Corbett Creek:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150415527504046.454073.577094045&l=2e1143545d&type=1

Mt. Sneffels (heck, its only 8 miles from Ouray):

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150414179179046.453650.577094045&l=8923ae8bc9&type=1

Will post Full Oak Canyon and Weehawken later in the week.

Mark

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    Pictures?
    <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/CorbettAndOakCreek817th18th2011">https://picasaweb.google.com/aramv14/CorbettAndOakCreek817th18th2011</a
  6. RAM

RAM Guest

Mark and the gang.

Look forward to hooking up again soon and thanks again for all the support. The 1st picture of the Sneffles album you have marked at "Teakettle next year?' is in fact Mt. Potasi, another fine objective, although Teakettle is my favorite in the immediate area. We were in Weehawken Creek on the day that Mark did Sneffels. They stopped on the drive up there, to wish us well as we embarked The stream is fed from the back side of Potasi. That will be today's album. Felicia, thanks for the kind words. Your son and daughter show prominently in Thursday's album. R

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Mark" <phxmobrien@...> wrote:

It was a fun week in Ouray as the AZ crew joined up with Ram, Amy and Steve for a couple canyon trips. We've been working the Mazatzal and Sierra Ancha Range canyons here most of the year, but there comes a time when you just need to escape the heat!
    The town of Ouray was welcoming as always and provided a great setting for evening retreats. Relaxation at its best.
    Ram, we certainly learned quite a bit from you. It would be great to get out again, perhaps in AZ or Lake Powell, or wherever, honestly...
    Links to couple albums below:
    Main Fork Corbett Creek:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150415527504046.454073.577094045&l=2e1143545d&type=1
    > Mt. Sneffels (heck, its only 8 miles from Ouray):
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150414179179046.453650.577094045&l=8923ae8bc9&type=1

Will post Full Oak Canyon and Weehawken later in the week.
    Mark
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:

Pictures?

7. Either this place is unbelieveably photogenic or you are improving your photography skills. These pics are AWESOME! "Ransomesque" I might say. Glad I finally made time to catch up tonight.

Pictures?
  8. Wayne Burns

Wayne Burns Guest

I believe this is one of those wonderful cases where "all of the above" can be true - great photos that seem to capture the fun, action and beauty of the moment along with a fantastic place. Corbett especially was a gorgeous & fun canyon!

To: Yahoo Canyons Group From: dbrooks@integralpays.com Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 05:36:36 &#43;0000 Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: TR- Ouray- Corbett and Oak Creek

Either this place is unbelieveably photogenic or you are improving your photography skills. These pics are AWESOME! "Ransomesque" I might say. Glad I finally made time to catch up tonight.

Pictures?
  9. Jules

Jules Guest

In my experience, I've always found overcast days produce better photos in canyons. Something to do with having a more even temperature without "heatspots". Yes, great pics Ram, must visit that area on my next trip over.

Julie

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "evergreen_dean" <dbrooks@...> wrote:
    Either this place is unbelieveably photogenic or you are improving your photography skills. These pics are AWESOME! "Ransomesque" I might say. Glad I finally made time to catch up tonight.
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:

Pictures?

10. Felicia

Felicia Guest

I've grown accustom to desert canyons of the Southwest depicting many hues of red and brown. It's the lush greenery of these Ouray canyons that pop colour in every photograph.

Beautiful photos Ram, just beautiful. I hope there are more to come.

Felicia

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 24, 2011, at 10:36 PM, "evergreen_dean" dbrooks@integralpays.com> wrote:

> Either this place is unbelieveably photogenic or you are improving your photography skills. These pics are AWESOME! "Ransomesque" I might say. Glad I finally made time to catch up tonight.
    ---
  11. RAM

RAM Guest

Thanks for the kind words all. Trust me, its mostly that the places are great. The fact that the camera is new and hasn't been subjected to Utah yet also helps. Ransomeque? Hardly, although the next album, which I will post in a few minutes, has many pictures by Ransom, as his camera died and who in there right mind would say no if Dan asked to use their camera? Felicia, your kiddo are in this one too. ;-)

So rather than taking superior pictures, this is the way I have cheated to produce some nice albums. *Edit, edit, edit out pictures. I started with 385. The 4 albums will have a total of 163. Less albums would cause harsher editing. *Get impartial people to help you edit out pictures. If you have to explain a picture, its not a good one, no matter your attachment. *Small albums are enjoyed. Big albums bore. Less is more. Having pictures contrast a bit is helpful too. *Photoshop. I use the primitive Picasa shop. Tune color and sharpen EVERYTHING. Or at least my unsteady hand requires it. * Crop often. It allows you to avoid big light contrasts, bring the best part of the picture front and center, allows a fresh opportunity to get the framing right.

So the photography isn't better, just the packaging. Fun. Glad some are enjoying my new toy.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Wayne Burns <waynewburns@...> wrote:
    > I believe this is one of those wonderful cases where "all of the above" can be true - great photos that seem to capture the fun, action and beauty of the moment along with a fantastic place. Corbett especially was a gorgeous & fun canyon!

> To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    From: dbrooks@... > Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 05:36:36 &#43;0000 > Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: TR- Ouray- Corbett and Oak Creek

> Either this place is unbelieveably photogenic or you are improving your photography skills. These pics are AWESOME! "Ransomesque" I might say. Glad I finally made time to catch up tonight.

Pictures?

>
  12. TomJones

TomJones Guest

And what camera are you using, these days??

Tom

Thanks for the kind words all. Trust me, its mostly that the places are great. The fact that the camera is new and hasn't been subjected to Utah yet also helps. Ransomeque? Hardly, although the next album, which I will post in a few minutes, has many pictures by Ransom, as his camera died and who in there right mind would say no if Dan asked to use their camera? Felicia, your kiddo are in this one too. ;-) >
  13. RAM

RAM Guest

Olympus Tough TG-810 It is the 7th and last camera in the 5 year full replacement warranty given to me by Best Buy. A whole series of Olympus'

Oh and there is another 4 picture series by Dan in the Bear album

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "TomJones" <ratagonia@...> wrote:
    And what camera are you using, these days??
    Tom

Thanks for the kind words all. Trust me, its mostly that the places are great. The fact that the camera is new and hasn't been subjected to Utah yet also helps. Ransomeque? Hardly, although the next album, which I will post in a few minutes, has many pictures by Ransom, as his camera died and who in there right mind would say no if Dan asked to use their camera? Felicia, your kiddo are in this one too. ;-)
    >
  14. Clint

Clint Guest

wow... so i like to do canyons... i dont like politics. rich is a great dude, so is ram. in fact i have very few issues with the canyon community. so, lets get rid of the soap boxes! :)

Clint

Pictures?