Send us a suggestion!

TR - Heaps via Phantom Valley

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Theodore Anderson, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Desertres, Adonis, whatever your desired pseudonym is,

You've gone off the rails here, guy. Your recent post is the most misdirected and vitriolic attack I've seen on here since the last time you were involved in a rescue situation. Attacking a central member of this community for being disingenuous is inappropriate and couldn't be further from the truth.

I've kept my mouth shut for over a month now but this is too much. While I'm deeply sorry about what you've had to see and feel this last month, you seriously misrepresent your skill and fitness levels which is an extremely dangerous enterprise. Furthermore, you responded to my honest suggestions concerning rappel technique, rope handling, and knots with indignation. I am not surprised a well- intentioned canyoneer would interpret your attitude as recalcitrant.

Your fellow canyoneers are not your rescue squad and they assume no responsibility as such. They are not there to evaluate your condition and perform aid. It is your role to explicitly ask for help if you need it. That includes YOU.

I am sorry for perpetuating the personal attacks here but I know some of the folks involved here and I also know that you are out of line. This was a tragedy but that doesn't mean you have to accept responsibility and it certainly does not mean you need to place it where it doesn't belong.

I hope this discussion can go in a direction where we can learn about techinique, rescue, group skills and humility.

Ted