Send us a suggestion!

TR: Chasing the Sun - Presidents Day Weekend

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by roadtripry, Feb 24, 2010.

1. roadtripry

roadtripry Guest

A brief TR:

If your only here for the pictures:

http://www.ajroadtrips.com/gallery/index.php?level=album&id=10

Cristina and I had really been wanting to get out an enjoy the sun. Most of our trips this winter had been overcast, gray, and cold. El Nino seems to have a firm grip on Southern Utah.

After much asking around, and looking at the web cams, it seemed our only hope for relatively warm, and dry, might be Lake Powell. So, off we headed Friday night after work. I was amazed, and disappointed, to see quite a bit of snow on the Swell and in the Hanksville area. We camped off the Burr point road the first night, in several inches of crusty snow.

Hope springs eternal though, so at dawn we headed to Bullfrog. Just as we crested the pass before Ticaboo, the snow seemed to vaporize and the warm glow of the desert lifted my spirits. We hiked into Smith Fork that day in perfect temps. Warm, with crystal blue skies, we had found what I had been looking for.

At the mouth of Psycho Damage, Lucy found her first keeper pothole. Interestingly, she danced around the lip of it for a few moments, seeming to know that getting in would be a mistake, but youthful enthusiasm overtook her momentary good judgment and she jumped in. As soon as she hit the water, her eyes grew to be the size of saucers, and she frantically tried to escape. With a chuckle, I run for the camera while Cristina mounts a rescue. On the return trip, she did the same pothole-lip-dance, but decided not to venture in a second time. Perhaps she will learn good judgment over time?!?!

Smith fork was nice. Warm, sunny, and relatively dry. We found wading to knee deep in the narrows, but only for short stretches. The pool at the bottom of Psycho was bigger than I've seen it in my 2 prior visits, and quickly dashed any motivation I may have harbored for a quick run-through.I wanted warmth this trip, not cold swims.

On closer inspection though, we found quite a bit of snow on north facing slopes even around Powell. I suspect canyons this season will be wet for awhile. Be careful out there! North facing exits could also pose a real challenge.

On the way back, we stopped in the Swell. Yikes! 1-1.5 feet of deep, crusty snow all over. It is more snow, and lasting longer this year, than any year in my memory.

-Ryan www.ajroadtrips.com
  2. TomJones

TomJones Guest

Poor Lucy. Wow, that's a lot of water in there. Thanks Ryan.

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "roadtripry" <roadtripryan@...> wrote:
    A brief TR:
    If your only here for the pictures:
    http://www.ajroadtrips.com/gallery/index.php?level=album&id=10
    > Cristina and I had really been wanting to get out an enjoy the sun. Most of our trips this winter had been overcast, gray, and cold. El Nino seems to have a firm grip on Southern Utah.
    After much asking around, and looking at the web cams, it seemed our only hope for relatively warm, and dry, might be Lake Powell. So, off we headed Friday night after work. I was amazed, and disappointed, to see quite a bit of snow on the Swell and in the Hanksville area. We camped off the Burr point road the first night, in several inches of crusty snow.
    Hope springs eternal though, so at dawn we headed to Bullfrog. Just as we crested the pass before Ticaboo, the snow seemed to vaporize and the warm glow of the desert lifted my spirits. We hiked into Smith Fork that day in perfect temps. Warm, with crystal blue skies, we had found what I had been looking for.
    At the mouth of Psycho Damage, Lucy found her first keeper pothole. Interestingly, she danced around the lip of it for a few moments, seeming to know that getting in would be a mistake, but youthful enthusiasm overtook her momentary good judgment and she jumped in. As soon as she hit the water, her eyes grew to be the size of saucers, and she frantically tried to escape. With a chuckle, I run for the camera while Cristina mounts a rescue. On the return trip, she did the same pothole-lip-dance, but decided not to venture in a second time. Perhaps she will learn good judgment over time?!?!
    Smith fork was nice. Warm, sunny, and relatively dry. We found wading to knee deep in the narrows, but only for short stretches. The pool at the bottom of Psycho was bigger than I've seen it in my 2 prior visits, and quickly dashed any motivation I may have harbored for a quick run-through.I wanted warmth this trip, not cold swims.
    On closer inspection though, we found quite a bit of snow on north facing slopes even around Powell. I suspect canyons this season will be wet for awhile. Be careful out there! North facing exits could also pose a real challenge.
    On the way back, we stopped in the Swell. Yikes! 1-1.5 feet of deep, crusty snow all over. It is more snow, and lasting longer this year, than any year in my memory.
    -Ryan > www.ajroadtrips.com >