Send us a suggestion!

TR~Almost Hugged A Ranger~Heaps of Comedy

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by davewyo1, May 22, 2006.

1. davewyo1

davewyo1 Guest

5-19-06 3:00 AM-ish start.A nice cool approach in the dark.Very beautiful start.Fantastic swimming and colors.Fun climbing and wading.Long quiet corridors and exotic flowers.Tea colored waters reflecting very tall canyon walls.A final headwall that is not for the faint- hearted.Thanks to Stevie and Hank for coordinating the rappels.

Upon finishing the VERY long day,it was realized that we didn't have the keys to the car we spotted at the Visitors Center.As a result of circumstances beyond his control,the owner of the vehicle had managed to get both of his keys into the two drop-off cars that we used that morning.He had given me my copy sometime in February and he had given his working key to Murray the day before when we placed the car.Murray put it on his keychain and had naturally stashed it with his truck at the Lava Point Trailhead.

Did I mention that it was a long day?

Fortunately the car owner had still another key stashed in the locked vehicle.You might ask why he carried so many keys for his car.Did he have past experiences of the keys locked in the car?Hmmm? So all we needed to do was get the number to AAA and have someone drive out and"pop"open the car.

While he was on the phone to the service station,Stevie went to the Park entrance booth and they said they would send over Law Enforcement.We called off the professionals and dragged ourselves over to the car to await the Rangers.

Our interaction with Law Enforcement started with the usual request for identification.Given the "it's in the car answer",the Rangers warned of the possiblity of property damage and set to work on the locked Nissan.A cheering crowd of smelly canyoneers,and maybe the general disorder of the vehicle in question,seemed to have convinced the LE Rangers that this was not some kind of bizzare auto heist. After trying the"slim Jim" they went to trying to hook the lock switch through the wedged open window.Once again the boys are surrounding the car,mentally and vocally,urging the Ranger to hook the lock open. Finally he pops the lock and the weary canyoneers really get to cheering.The smell wafting from the vehicle must have convinced the Rangers that nobody but the owner would desire entry to this vehicle.They never ended up bothering to get any identification. I,for one,could have hugged a Zion National Park Ranger that day. Also,it's good to know that the Rangers are versed in Auto entry. Dave
  2. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "davewyo1" <davewyo1@...> wrote:
    Upon finishing the VERY long day,it was realized that we didn't have > the keys to the car we spotted at the Visitors Center.

Why people put the key anywhere other than ON THE CAR IT FITS when adventuring in the outdoors, escapes me.

Tom
  3. Benny

Benny Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Tom Jones" <ratagonia@...> wrote:
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "davewyo1" <davewyo1@> wrote:

Upon finishing the VERY long day,it was realized that we didn't have
    the keys to the car we spotted at the Visitors Center.

We learned that lesson the hard way, only we left the keys to the car at the bottom in the car at the top. The rangers were not so accomodating with us. After explaining why neither he nor any other ranger could take us to the top, the L.E. ranger kind of pulled me aside and said, "Now I know the campground is full, but there is a spot we kind of keep open for people who run in to problems. You just walk in there and take it and I won't tell anyone." I then tried to explain that we were soaking wet, with no dry clothes or overnight gear (mid-Sept.), and asked him what good he thought a campsite would do us He kindly offered us the campsite again. Incredulous that we were refusing such a great offer, he said "Well, the Bit and Spur usually stays open until about 2."

Thank goodness for friends in St. George. That was a long night.