Send us a suggestion!

TR (Alicia''s) Bridge Mountain Arch

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Tom Jones, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

Funny how definitions change. A mere few years ago I would have considered being in a canyon AFTER DARK 'An Epic'. Now, as long as I'm home in time to deliver the Tribune with my boys, everything's gone fine. But some concerns that certain historical details might be - um - forgotten in the Emperor's Zion Collection Investigativeve the Investivative Report on THE BRIDGE MOUNTAIN ARCH WEEKEND!!!

It began as usual - the Merry Hankster, The Emperor, and I having our usual Friday night renddenizensith the I15 denizons of American fast food in our race to Zion; crashing at the Cove etc. I even thought our Karmic State with the world was lifted with our Saturday Volunteer Assignments at the Annual Access Side noteg Clean-Up (Sidenote: This is the kind of 'Community Service' that gals like little Ms. Ryder get detailed for - a few hours of tiptoeing around the park collecting less garbage than you'd find in the backseat of the average car and then they feed you, show you movies and pass out prizes). But, despite Brian's repeated reminders that the Access Clean Up "is not about Canyoneers, but CLIMBERS", I forgot.

A night at the El Rio hotel was the next step to doom. As Ram could have predicted the 'softening' idling had begun. Sunday morning procureus ideling across to the Mean Bean to procur coffee that we drank in bed while we watched the end of 'Lancelot' on T.V. Tick, tick, tick...

So, with the Superior Attitudes of Real Canyoneers, we thumbed the 9 - 16 hour time estimate in leasurily Book and began our day to the arch at the leasurily moment of 10:30 AM. And we were lost in less than 40 minutes. Our little 'Scouting Aside' eventualdebard lead us to our first time saver - a 50' rappel off a rebar anchor that would come back later to haunt us. Ignoring most further advisories, we happily continued on our way.

So, who hasn't heard that you don't need to worry until the vultures are ACTUALLY CIRCLING overhead? And they were - or at least ravens the size of small carions at the Ominous Chimney Climb. Further Scary Movie Soundtrack: Scratch, scratch, scratch...

And then the Happy Moment when All is Well in the World - well, maybe the arch is a little smaller than expected, but whatever... Oh, and it's 5:00 and everyone is trying to remember what time it gets dark now that Daylight Savings is over and all...

This is the Moment of Truth. We backtrack to the drainage where the Emperor has a now admittedly somewhat sketchy recollection of Maybe Dean or Someone Like That saying they'd rapped down to the first tunnel from there, but it doesn't go, or at least not without 200' more rope than we're carrying; and as we dig our headlamps out, we now know It's Going to be a Long Night and Thank God these things go 70 hours without a Battery Change - or is it 20? And just how long ago did we last change batteries?

It's dark and Hank's Celestial Relatives have not come to light our way as we try to find the ascent that we'd so happily avoided on the way in. Bad Memories resurface - the MIA trail, previous food deprivations, our first unexpected nights out in the desert - and only the good company of friends keeps them at bay. And at 12:30 AM (a new day!) we're at the car, no hope of anything but Gas Station food for our reward.

We get home just as my bedroom alarm is going off to start the day that I'd planned to have - but instead I tuck Tom and Hank into bed and go deliver the newspapers and remind myself that even when it's bad, it's good... Alicia
  2. Wm. Bees

Wm. Bees Guest

And I thought our merry crew had such fun in K-B this year! Surely that wasn't one of the Bad Memories. After all we did get a hot shower.

-Bill

> It's dark and Hank's Celestial Relatives have not > come to light our way as we try to find the ascent > that we'd so happily avoided on the way in. Bad > Memories resurface - the MIA trail, previous food > deprivations, our first unexpected nights out in the > desert - and only the good company of friends keeps > them at bay. And at 12:30 AM (a new day!) we're at > the car, no hope of anything but Gas Station food for > our reward.
  3. >>I tuck Tom and Hank into bed <<

Together???............snicker.....snicker
  4. beadysee

beadysee Guest

--- In canyons@y..., "Shane Burrows" <edg78@c...> wrote:
    >I tuck Tom and Hank into bed <<
    Together???............snicker.....snicker

I just shot coffee, thru my nose, and onto my keyboard...

But the story we REALLY want to hear, is the one that Alicia started to tell at dinner on Saturday night, after Hank made an inuendo-esque comment. Funny, she hadn't even been hydrating out of Bo's water bottle. Oh do tell! Might have to find an unmoderated forum...(as Tom turns a shade akin to crimson....)...

Bo, thanks for the rehydration. Ben (and Matt and Brian, the "cedar boyz"), thanks for the TR on the Pulpit (now I see how folks aid climb so fast). Jim B, nice chattin', we'll have to do a canyon soon. Ditto the rest of you dirtbags. Or, gentleman. With this crowd, I'd definately use that term loosely... Nice to see the Springdale contingent: the "A" team...!

Fun times, that Zion...double thanks to the folk what contributed to a great Saturday. Climbing, cleaning, "rehydrating", eating, slide shows, booty fest, not necessarily in that order...

Nice TR, Alicia. Go scooter go!

Brian in SLC