Send us a suggestion!

Top-10 must do (Canyons in and around Zion area)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jimmy Olsson, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Jimmy Olsson

Jimmy Olsson

I'm planning to get back to Zion someday to explore more of your amazing slot canyons.
    I'm interested in hearing your recommendations. So, how would your "top-10 must do" list looks like? (Ratings up to ~3BIII)

//Jimmy
    Rapterman likes this.
  2. Rapterman

Rapterman

What canyons have you done?
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

My favorites in Zion:

Imlay (Sneak)
    Heaps
    Mystery
    Behunin
    Spry
    Not-Imlay
    Kolob
    Boundary
    Pipe Spring Canyon
    Fiddle Me This (not yet published)
    Checkerboard
    Fat Man's
    Engelstead
    Right Fork (Hammerhead/Direct)
    Pine Creek
    Subway w Das Boot
    Observation Point Canyon

But only about half of those are 3B III or less.

Tom
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

My own top 10 (noting that I haven't done upper Kolob or Heaps):

Imlay (this one isn't 3BIII though-it is still my favorite Zion Canyon and perhaps my #2 canyon anywhere)
    Right Fork North Creek (at least if you have 3 days)
    Icebox (some don't like this as much, but I really like it)
    Subway
    Pine Creek
    Orderville
    Echo
    Secret Falls (but many won't like this one).
    One I call Half-Subway
    Keyhole (yes, I know it's short, but sometimes you need a short one)

Mystery might be on the list if I do it again, but maybe we just weren't in the mood for it (it was our backup since Heaps got closed).

I actually liked lower Kolob too, but others haven't been as enthusiastic. Perhaps it should be savored as a multi day rather than rushed through (if I did it again I'd come down Upper Kolob or Boundary).

As honorable mentions, Spry is pretty good and I actually like the Wildcat Canyon Narrows, though few people do that one.
    Rapterman, Jimmy Olsson and Jenny like this.
  5. Jimmy Olsson

Jimmy Olsson

Just a few non technical in Utah. I've never been able to bring all my gear over to US during my visits. But next trip has to be a specific canyoneering-trip.

I took a guided tour in Zion once with ZAC, and then i think we went to a canyon called "Water Canyon" or something, just outside the park. I can't wait to get back over there and explore more Canyons. :)
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Rapterman likes this.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

But you have done canyons in Europe, yes?

Many of the canyons in Utah require 'natural anchor skills' which are not difficult, but which are important to get right. Zion traderoutes tend to be the exception to that, though even in Zion the canyons are not set up as neatly as they are in Europe.

Tom
  7. Jimmy Olsson

Jimmy Olsson

I'm a rockclimber from the beginning so that's where i got my anchor skills from. But ofc I have not much experience from the slot canyons in Zion. I would however only go canyoneering together with someone who know the specific canyon or with someone who's experienced. I have no thoughts of going canyoneering by myself in technical canyons where I've never been before.

I hope there might be possible to hook up with some experienced canyoneers for some trips the day I'll get there.
    ratagonia likes this.
  8. Canyonero

Canyonero

I think the moderate classics in Zion are:

PineCreek
    Keyhole
    Mystery
    Subway
    Something that will allow you to do most of the Narrows- Narrows Proper, Kolob, Orderville, Birch Hollow, Englestead

The harder classics are:

Kolob (3C)
    Heaps (4B)
    Imlay (4B)

My two favorites are Pine Creek and Imlay.

Around Zion is a very vague term. Some would consider everything from Red Rock to Moab "around Zion." There are thousands of canyons in that area.

Define around Zion a little better and maybe it would be easier to make suggestions.
  9. Canyonero

Canyonero

Sounds like you're being appropriately cautious. Certainly rock climbing anchor skills are significantly different from canyoneering anchor skills. Canyoneers are far more willing to rappel on crummy anchors than climbers.
    Fiona and Jimmy Olsson like this.
  10. ratagonia

ratagonia

And we hope you can use the Canyon Collective to successfully hook up with local canyoneers for some canyons here.

Tom
    Jimmy Olsson likes this.